276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150 mm F2.8 PRO Lens, Telephoto Zoom, Suitable for All MFT Cameras (Olympus OM-D & PEN Models, Panasonic G Series), Black

£0.5£1Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The OM System 50-140mm f2.8 Pro couldn’t get much simpler to use. If you forget to rotate and extend the lens, the camera body will yell at you to do so. Then, there are just the two rings for zoom and focus. There are no extra buttons or controls. The good thing about missing the manual focus ring pull is that it makes the lens even simpler. I still remember shooting with this feature for the first time — I accidentally pulled the ring into manual mode and was puzzled when the camera wasn’t focusing. Beginners will find this lens pretty simple to use. We understand this can sometimes be difficult with work commitments, but we will do our best to accommodateyour needs.

The 40-150mm f/2.8 M.Zuiko Digital is one of what Olympus refers to as their “pro” m4/3 lenses. Beyond the obvious main specification—which would be 80-300mm (equivalent) with a “fast” aperture—the lens has other features that are found in Olympus’ “Pro” lineup, including a Splash Proof designation.The Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f2.8 Pro is a high-end telephoto zoom for the Micro Four Thirds system – as such it’ll work on any modern Panasonic or Olympus body. It was originally teased in September 2013 at the launch of the OMD EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 Pro zoom, but took a whole year to finally come to market, officially being announced during Photokina in September 2014. This kind of zoom lens can also be a nice addition to a filmmaker’s bag, especially for nature and animals. The versatility of the focal range combined with the close focussing capabilities and the MC-14 is really interesting for video as well. Unfortunately the lens isn’t optically stabilised so with a Panasonic camera like the GH4, a good video tripod with a nice and fluid head becomes very important to bring home nice sharp footage. I've owned this lens for several years, and together with the M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8, is one of my two favourite micro four-thirds lenses. I've found it to be reliably sharp wide open, at every focal length. It's 40mm to 150mm range makes it a versatile optical tool. It is competent for bird and animal photography, so long as the subjects are not a long way off. In a limited number of circumstances, it even makes a good landscape lens. All that said, it really excels in portrait and news photography, allowing one to achieve beautiful portraits, head shots, and more. I love the clean detail and accurate eye focus I routinely achieve when taking photos of people using this lens and the E-M1. Finally, in addition to all of its other strengths, the 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro makes for a useful and very sharp close focusing lens. While not a true macro, at 150mm it will focus close enough to allow sharp and detailed images of subjects that might not appreciate closer inspection from true macros, or lenses with shorter focal lengths.

When you zoom, you should note that the Olympus 40-150 F4 Pro will expand to roughly the same length as the F2.8 Pro. Nonetheless, the Olympus 40-150mm F4 remains a more convenient traveling partner. The focusing system relies on a dual linear voice coil motor design (VCM) to deliver a quiet and fast performance, and with a minimum focus distance of 70cm and an inner zoom mechanism that allows it to be no longer than 160mm, it looks set to be one of the most impressive Micro Four Thirds lenses going, or at least it does on paper. Olympus 40-150mm First Look – The Function Button and Hood Doug is a professional wildlife photographer, and his work requires super telephoto lenses, like that 800mm lens. While I’m a full time photographer, wildlife shooting is primarily a hobby for me; I can’t justify owning that kind of glass. I could certainly justify renting it, though, and that’s what I do when I need expensive tools for a specific purpose…like aerial photography. Aerial Photography Needs a 300mm Hi Richard. The “volume of light” argument has been thoroughly discredited! There is no magic going on whereby having a larger lit area provide “better” pixels — which is a measure of pixel size, not sensor size. You want a sharp zoom lens? You got it. The Olympus 40-150mm lens is not only stunningly sharp by zoom lens standards, but also sharp by prime lens standards. And this is wide open at ƒ/2.8 at practically every other focal length. So while the 40-150 lens is very sharp wide open at all focal lengths, our graphs indicate an extremely subtle drop in sharpness at 150mm ƒ/2.8. It's so minimal, though, that it will most likely not impact real-world shooting at all.The Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro is an optically excellent, high-performance, metal-cased beast of a lens and perhaps the best telephoto zoom I’ve ever used. OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA A few years ago, I read John Shaw’s excellent Nature Photography Field Guide and the last chapter was about shooting from small aircraft, and my mind instantly went into overdrive as I considered combining my two favorite passions. One thing that stands out in my mind is that he said his favorite lens for aerial work is a 300mm. Having shot from small airplanes several times, I agree that a 300mm is pretty perfect. So, when I found out an upcoming job would include aerials, I immediately reserved the 40-150mm f/2.8 with LensRentals.com so that I’d have that 300mm field of view. 64mm, f/4, 1/2000s, ISO 800. When it gets it right the 40-150mm f2.8 produces stunningly sharp detail. This time set to S-AF mode with the light fading, but still bright enough to shoot wide open at 200 ISO with the stabilisation enabled.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment