276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Flower Fairies 2023 Wall Calendar

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It is one of my favourite flower fairy designs and the little rose fairy in the painting looks just like my two year old granddaughter.

One author has described one of the alphabet fairies as follows: “The more mystical and sensual side of fairy-land is epitomised by the Jasmine fairy. I was pleased to see this theme for 2023 (and to have the images as my companion for the next twelve months), as I’ve written in the past about these faeries and their creator, Cicely Mary Barker, and her famous series of books about them are highly attractive for their illustrations and short verses.We believe that giving children the right materials, they will make and play with beautiful things that last a lifetime. Barker doesn’t seem to have been a faery believer, sadly; her motivation appears to have been wholly decorative and artistic. She became a professional illustrator from the age of twenty, thereafter being able to support herself and her family from her earnings- a remarkable achievement for one so young and a testament to her artistic (and probably commercial) abilities.

I understand you will use my personal data to improve services and send me marketing communications.

The verses that accompanied the watercolours in Barker’s eight books portray a highly conventional fairy-land.

Perhaps because of this, one biographer has contrasted Barker’s with Margaret Tarrant’s fairies saying that the latter look “more elfin, rather than real children. Perhaps Barker didn’t want to mention anything which impinged on the childhood innocence and playfulness of her vision of fairy-land.The calendar marks the months and seasons with appropriate amigurumi faeries based on the famous flower faery designs. With her father’s help, young Cicely sold her first postcard design in 1910, her first book illustrations were published in 1911 and her first poetry appeared in magazines and annuals in 1912. In the heat of the summer the ‘cool green bowers’ and ‘sweet-scented flowers’ are particularly seductive. The text of this posting is adapted from the relevant chapter of my book on twentieth century faery art.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment