276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Soul of a Woman: Rebel Girls, Impatient Love, and Long Life

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

From the New York Times bestselling author of A Long Petal of the Sea comes a passionate and inspiring meditation on what it means to be a woman. This is a memoir on feminism. Allende doesn't preach, she doesn't lecture; she merely relates stories about people she knows. She invites us to join the fight, because not everything can be handled elegantly and without noise. Enough of partial solutions! The wise, warm, defiant new book from literary legend Isabel Allende – a meditation on power, feminism and what it means to be a woman

She seems very happy with her third husband, Roger. She frequently mentions her sex life and current sexual requirements (dim light, marijuana). Her topics veer discordantly between still being able to roll on the floor with her dogs; Sophia Loren’s figure; and the murder rate of women in Mexico. She lamely misquotes an overused joke from last year: “I should be writing a novel inspired by García Márquez: Love in the Time of Pandemic,” which ought, of course, to have ended with “Corona”, not “Pandemic”. Okay, writers make mistakes, but where were her editors? More energy is needed to sustain ill feelings than to forgive. The key to contentment is forgiveness of others and ourselves. The Soul of a Woman”.... [a tribute to feminism]....is intimate, pulsing with depth, breadth, life, and love.....even great moments of humor. As a young woman coming of age in the late 1960s, she rode the second wave of feminism. Among a tribe of like-minded female journalists, Allende for the first time felt comfortable in her own skin, as they wrote "with a knife between our teeth" about women's issues. She has seen what the movement has accomplished in the course of her lifetime. And over the course of three passionate marriages, she has learned how to grow as a woman while having a partner, when to step away, and the rewards of embracing one's sexuality.

Embracing all of the positives of being a woman, Allende shares her life story while sharing her beliefs on what it means to be a feminist in a variety of ways, incorporating some of the women she’s met and felt deeply inspired by, the love and assistance they’ve offered to others. The grace and reverence that must be given to who and what we are, as we are, always learning more. She also shares some of the ways that being a woman of any and all ages has brought her not only wisdom through her years, but has shaped her views on life, as well as her writing - especially in her early writing years when the majority of writers were men. From the New York Times bestselling author of A Long Petal of the Sea comes “a bold exploration of womanhood, feminism, parenting, aging, love and more” (Associated Press). A very special book, a look into the character of an author who is a very unique and talented individual. It spoke to me on many levels. I love glimpses such as this, into the life of a individual, author I admire. In 1967 she started working as a journalist for Paula a newly launched feminist magazine which defined a change for her. She was struggling with the boredom that marriage and motherhood offered her and she honestly thought at the time that they could change the world and its views on women in just ten to fifteen years. However, as she observes, it is a fight we are still trying to win today. Allende’s vivacity and wit are in full bloom as she makes her pronouncements. . . . Her book is filled with succinct wisdom and big laughs. . . . As always, her secret weapon is honesty.” — Publishers Weekly

For new Allende readers, Soul of a Woman figures to be an enlightening experience. For me, it was like a visit with an old friend. Having experienced her words many times, this short volume felt like sitting down with a special aunt for a cup of tea. We may not spend much time together but the time we do have is to be cherished. This manual feels like a talk that Allende was unable to give over the past year or perhaps a graduation speech at a progressive school of thought. Despite having few stories that I did not already know, Allende’s words are well received by me. As she approaches eighty years, she vows to continue writing as her life nears the century mark. With her family’s genetic propensity toward longevity I hope this is the case. Isabel Allende is a special person and she never seems to run out of stories to tell. As long as she writes, I will read it, no matter how busy my life may be. Allende feels proud of her gender. Most women seem to share that sentiment though Allende knows she is one of the fortunate few to have experienced both the joys of motherhood and professional success. For a woman to feel valued in other ways than through youth and beauty has been for ages a herculean, if not impossible, task. For the longest time, even Allende was convinced that her average looks were detrimental. Because of Chilean prudery, Panchita never knew her own beauty and though she also created beauty, it was never praised by others. Allende is convinced that beauty inside and out goes hand in hand with sensuality and passion. Leading to purpose, these vital human qualities are the key to youthfulness. An autobiographical meditation on feminism, power and womanhood … Full of Isabel's wisdom and warm words' - Graziaa b Johnson, Connie (August 29, 1998). " 'Soul' a Stirring Debut Album for Price". Los Angeles Times . Retrieved February 14, 2023. As a young woman coming of age in the late 1960s, she rode the first wave of feminism. Among a tribe of like-minded female journalists, she for the first time felt comfortable in her own skin, as they wrote "with a knife between their teeth" about women's issues. The book is inspiring and full of hope, as well as full of power. The Soul of a Woman does not radicalise feminism but highlights that females deserve an equal chance in life. Feminism is not something that only a few hardcore radicals fight for. As a female, anyone facing oppressing needs to go out and on a daily basis and fight for their rights – this is what feminists are truly about.

sex, money, discriminatory laws, drugs, virginity, menopause, contraception, alcoholism, abortion, prostitution, jealousy... to name a few”. An autobiographical meditation on feminism, power and womanhood ... Full of Isabel's wisdom and warm words' - Grazia

Thanks for reading this free article.

Where women should cover themselves from head to foot, so the weak men wouldn't be tempted. Where you are called a whore if you put a little make up on your face; where your worth is measured by the covering on your head, by your child-bearing ability, by your self-denial, docility and becoming resigned to being owned by someone else.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment