276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Scary Smart: The Future of Artificial Intelligence and How You Can Save Our World

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

So, you go across the Atlantic and the moral makeup is patriotism and it’s ok to kill the other guy. You go in Dharamsala, where the Dalai Lama and the Buddhists would live, and they go, like, ‘don’t kill a fly’, right? We haven’t agreed… We haven’t managed to agree. And I think my book is centred around this. And you know that because always the very last statement of any one of my books is basically the summary of the message and the summary of scary smart is, isn’t it ironic that the core of what makes us human – love, compassion and happiness, is what could save us in the age of the rise of the machines? And I think if we were to be realistic, the only ethics humanity has ever agreed was that we all want to be happy. He joined Google in 2007, [7] and eventually rose to the position of chief business officer at Google X. [8] First, I slightly don’t agree that our ethics or moral framework was only based on our supremacy. I think that’s, if you don’t mind me saying, with a lot of respect to a Western approach to morality. The ancient approach to morality was much more based on inclusion. It was much more based on the only way for us to survive is to survive as a tribe. And the fact that I dislike my brother a little bit does not contradict the fact that me and my brother are better at fighting the tiger than yellow? I found a few graphs, which were useful. I found the circled points a little annoying, but maybe the author learns better this way.

Mo Gawdat Audiobook Guides | Mo Gawdat

Mo Gawdat]: Humanity has the arrogance to believe that our intelligence is the only form of intelligence. Of course, we’re arrogant enough to believe that we are the most intelligent being on the planet. When I started to write about artificial intelligence in Scary Smart, the first step I took was to try and define intelligence like an engineer would. And the definitions were very varied across so many views and philosophical views and the scientific views and so on. We don’t really know what intelligence is. We know how intelligence manifests in our lives. And it manifests basically in an ability to comprehend complex concepts and to solve problems, and to maybe plan for unforeseeable assumptions in the future. Is that the limit of intelligence? I believe that there are other forms of intelligence that deliver other results or other magnificent creations, but they are just a bit too far for our intelligence to comprehend them. The reality is, as I keep saying, there is that problem of irrelevance that we might not be that relevant to that higher power now.Scary Smart presents some interesting insight into the origins of artificial intelligence as well as the rapid rate of development it has seen in recent years. The book also presents theories on how to deal with our inevitable fate of AI taking control of our world. Mo Gawdat]: From one side, we could expect that this [ artificial intelligence] could be the worst thing that ever happened to humanity and that humanity will be reduced into irrelevance. and become completely irrelevant, like the apes are almost irrelevant for the destination or the destiny of the planet. Because artificial intelligence is bound to become comparable in its intelligence to our intelligence compared to the apes. The answer to how we can prepare the machines for this ethically complex world resides in the way we raise our own children and prepare them to face our complex world’ Strap in for the ride, we’re diving headfirst into this conversation and uncovering the alarming truth about how vulnerable we actually are and what that means for the next decade ahead.

Scary Smart by Mo Gawdat | Waterstones Scary Smart by Mo Gawdat | Waterstones

Mo Gawdat]: History says that since the very ancient times, some of the dreams of the Pharaohs or the ancient Chinese civilisations was to create something that mimics humans, from automatons to Mechanical Turks, to even the clay soldiers of the Chinese armies or the big guards of the pharaonic era…. Based on the EXTREME LEVEL of plausible concern the first 90% of the book elicits. That particular solution doesn’t seem like it will cut the mustard. I'm paraphrasing what the author has to tell us, as he knows a great deal more about AI than I do - having worked for Google and watched an army of gripping robots learning from one another how to lift children's toys. Direct quotes are in quotes. Very few of the stories that we read about forms of intelligence that are artificial if you like, forms of robots have always had that dark side to them. And yet we continue to be fascinated about them and we continue to try and create them. I always refer to War of the Worlds, if you remember how famous that story is and in it, I think it starts with who would have believed that at the turn of the 20th century, that a being far more intelligent than us is coming to planet Earth. Interestingly, when you read that story, you think that it is an intelligence that’s coming from outer space, but it would apply equally if it was any intelligence that was created right here. AI will be a billion times smarter than humans by 2049. Scary Smart discusses how to correct the present course today for AI in the future to be able to save the human species. This book provides a roadmap for what we can do to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and the world as a whole. Mo Gawdat said that technology is placing our humanity in jeopardy on a never-before-seen scale. This book is not intended for code writers or policymakers who claim to be able to govern it. This is the book you’ve been looking for. Because, believe it or not, you are the only one who can solve the problem.A section that really resonated with me was his exploration of the potential impact of AI on our day-to-day lives. Gawdat does a solid job of extrapolating current trends and imagining the world a few decades down the line. It’s a vision that’s both exciting and cautionary, filled with opportunities and pitfalls.

Scary Smart: The Future of Artificial Intelligence and Scary Smart: The Future of Artificial Intelligence and

The growth on the next chip in your phone is going to be a million times more than the computer that put people on the moon.” Think about the last time you swatted a fly or a mosquito. It was probably hard to garner much empathy for the insect. Conversely, it was ostensibly IMPOSSIBLE for the insect to even come anywhere near understanding you, your motivations, your abilities, your traps, or your next move. Mo Gawdat is the former chief business officer for Google X and has built a monumental career in the tech industry working with the biggest names to reshape and reimagine the world as we know it. From IBM to Microsoft, Mo has lived at the cutting edge of technology and has taken a strong stance that AI is a bigger threat to humanity than global warming. But according to Gowat, we’re at the beginning of a similar, but WAY more consequential sigmoid with AI.

Hey!

Google X under Gawdat was DEEPLY invested in AI and Quantum Computing. The intersection of which is where all the SERIOUS concerns come from.

Scary Smart by Mo Gawdat - Pan Macmillan

Children don't learn from what you say. They learn from what you do." AIs are already reading and learning from what we say and choose and do online. And what we support. Every year we create more information than we created in human history to date. So "the store of collective human knowledge is diluted by 50% each year" and altered in tone by the new data.If we all refuse to buy the next version of the iPhone, because we really don’t need a fancier look or an even better camera at the expense of our environment, Apple will understand that they need to create something that we actually need. If we insist that we will not buy a new phone until it delivers a real benefit, like helping us make our life more sustainable or improving our digital health, that will be the product that is created next. Similarly, if we make it clear that we welcome AI into our lives only when it delivers benefit to ourselves and to our planet, and reject it when it doesn’t, AI developers will try to capture that opportunity. Keep doing this consistently and the needle will shift. When machines are specifically built to discriminate, rank and categorize, how do we expect to teach them to value equality?’

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment