276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Showdown: The Inside Story of the Gleneagles Ryder Cup

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The pair infamously fell out after Clarke changed his mind on supporting McGinley's bid to captain the European team at the 2014 tournament, deciding instead to also run for the top role. Paul lives with his former golf professional wife, Alison, with their three children in Sunningdale.

Much of his time is spent broadcasting for SKY, designing golf courses, carrying out ambassadorial work representing his many business partners. Paul's a great man and he has the respect of the players. He has everything down to the smallest detail and that’s the way he was.” Paul gained a spot in golfing folklore by holing the winning putt on his Ryder Cup Debut in 2002. He then went on to represent Europe in 2004 and 2006, making him the first European Golfer to win in every one of his three appearances. Paul showed his skills again at team golf when he led the Great Britain and Ireland team to victory in the 2009 and 2011 Vivendi Trophy with Seve Ballesteros, 2009 being in his first experience of captaincy. Paul McGinley 09/03/23 6:00am Rahm confidence 'sky high' for Sawgrass | 'What a time to be a player!' Fate had dictated Paul’s future when he broke his knee cap while forging a promising career in Gaelic football and so he decided to try his hand at professional golfing. A marketing graduate from the University of San Diego, McGinley was also in the team that won the Ryder Cup in 2004 and 2006 – meaning he was the only European player to win in all three of his appearances.But he warned that leading Europe's charge for a record fourth successive Ryder Cup later this year could cost him more friends. Paul has walked the talk, he delivers a holistic view of leadership context developed through his own life experiences and leading others. I have found his insights invaluable to my personal growth both as an individual and as a leader. Watson, by contrast, was made to look an out-dated figure. He erroneously contended the only difference to the last time he did the job in 1993 was the increased demands of the media. Realising that leadership is about the leader is an important place to start. The idea that people are just born leaders isn’t true. It’s important that people examine, sometimes brutally, as McGinley has, their strengths and weaknesses. Being self-aware is the first step to the most important trait of all: inspiring people to believe in you.

Leadership is everything in the Ryder Cup. Yes, it comes down to the players to sink the putts, but for that to happen effectively their mood, motivation and readiness has to be at the highest level. Paul McGinley is a professional golfer and one of the European Tours’ leading lights. Selected as the captain of the European Ryder Cup team, Paul is recognised for his natural leadership qualities and dependable consistency under pressure in some of the largest golf events in the world. A terrific golf speaker, Paul has experience of some of the most memorable moments of golf in the past two decades.Shared team values / identity is critical for success in the multinational / multicultural team to deal with the tradeoffs between greater information and less cohesion. Team leaders need to encourage shared goals and values. He was the winning captain of Europe in the 2014 Ryder Cup, and Ireland's first Ryder Cup European captain.

Paul's absolutely brilliant, from start to finish; from the pictures on the walls, from how he spoke to how he treated everybody in that team room, everyone was the same. I think he’s done an absolutely sensational job.” McGinley made three consecutive Ryder Cup appearances in 2002, 2004 and 2006, with Europe being victorious each time. In the 2002 Ryder Cup, his ten-foot putt on the 18th hole in his match against Jim Furyk secured the ½ point Europe needed for victory; the team eventually won 15½ to 12½. In the 2006 Ryder Cup at The K Club in Ireland, McGinley offered a handshake and conceded a 20-foot putt for a half to J. J. Henry on the 18th green of his last day singles match because he feared his opponent might have been put off when a streaker ran across the green. [16]Paul McGinley is a professional golf and team captain, who led his team to a Ryder Cup championship in 2014. He’s now showing you how to build and lead a successful team, whether at work, at home or in your community. The 65-year-old was correct on the astonishing number of interviews now required of a skipper but he totally underestimated the degree of sophistication required to manage an effective team effort. In today's world, whether it's about outperforming your competitors, increasing shareholder value or getting clear on the bigger picture -- the time for effective leadership is more important than ever. A quote Paul says "The inspiration for this book came to me through the images that I commissioned as the newly appointed captain of the Ryder Cup 2014.“

McGinley turned professional in late 1991 and joined the European Tour in 1992, aged 25. In 1993, he lost a playoff to Costantino Rocca in the French Open. [9] In 1994, McGinley lost a playoff to José María Olazábal in the Open Mediterrania. [10]

Authors

I was just trying to do what I thought was the right thing for the team. I wasn't against Paul. I just saw options. McRae, Donald (19 September 2014). " 'Paul McGinley will leave a real positive mark on the Ryder Cup itself' ". The Guardian . Retrieved 15 April 2023.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment