276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Pilot Prera Medium-Nib Fountain Pen, Slate Gray Body (FPR-3SR-SGY-M)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

art of the day art supplies ask the desk bag blue ink calendar decor desk desk accessory digital DIY eye candy fashionable friday field notes fountain pen giveaway green ink ink inkmas ink review iphone link Link Love misc mobile office moleskine news notebook office paper pen pencil penmanship photo of the day planner podcast post and letter-writing Purple ink review stationery tool typewriter video vintage workspace Most Popular Posts

Katherine: When I first discovered the Prera (thanks, Internet) I wasn’t thrilled at the idea of spending twice as much as a Metro on a pen with the same nib. So instead I borrowed Pam’s. I found that the Prera is a small, light pen that’s a solid performer… I figured I’d buy one used at some point, since I now actively try to avoid buying pens just because they’re “cheap”. But, when I saw the limited edition Oeste Kingfisher (pictured above), I hadto have it. After almost a month of hunting on Rakuten then three weeks of waiting, I have it! I think it’s a unique looking pen without being “weird” or flashy. It’s clean and classic, but not easily mistaken for any other pen.I totally agree, and I found the same with the Plumix nib in my Metropolitan. Those grips work well...in the same way that Lamy Safari and AL-Star grips do. From my experience with Kung Te Cheng and Whaleman's Sepia, I'd imaine flow might be an issue in any pen that isn't already very wet. Noodler's BB is really perfect in this thing, and anything Iroshizuku will probably do very well also.

I know that this is a bit of a zombie post, but I would recommend adding something about how different cleaning materials might react with different pen materials (ammonia, isopropol alcohol, etc). This is the Pilot Prera Collection Fountain Pen. It comes with a box with a clear hinged top. Inside we have the pen. This is a demonstrator style pen so you can see the inside of the pen but it comes in a few different colors where the ends of the pen are different. Sorry! I meant the Chinese pen maker's lacquer pen with the butterflies and inlays from the previous link. Unlike other fountain pens, the Pilot Capless featured a fully retractable nib. The Capless was reintroduced as the Vanishing Point in 1972. Pilot Namiki Capless The problem with metal isn’t so much that the pen will leak, but rather that some inks can corrode metal. This could ruin the pen, affect the color of the ink, affect the longevity of the ink on paper, or cause pen leaks over time.Pam: If I was a more talented writer, I would wax poetry to the “perfection” that is the Prera for my pixie-esque hands. (Now maybe a good time to warn you of the possibility to excessive alliteration for the remainder of the post.) An eyedropper is a fountain pen that does not have a filling mechanism of its own, rather it uses an eyedropper (or pipette, etc.) to fill it. The body of the pen is made of plastic and the ink sits directly inside the body. This body is an empty cavity, similar to a piston-filling pen, but there is no piston. Katherine: The Prera is a solid pen, and I enjoy owning and using mine. However, it’s not a pen that brings me great joy to own or the pen I pull out when I just want to “play” with pens and ink. I’d recommend it for anyone looking for a solid pen for daily use or a beginner with a larger budget.

Overall, I enjoyed testing the Prera. It wrote smoothly from the first fill. The nib was quite fine; it’s a Japanese nib so it is definitely finer than a Western fine nib. The pen was lightweight and the size is such that I think it would be a great every day carry pen. I do have to say that in terms of feel in my hand, I think I have a slight preference for the Pilot Metropolitan Pop, both because it is slightly longer and because the aluminum body is slightly weightier. I don’t usually post my pens, but I found the Prera too short and slightly awkward to use without posting the cap. Franz: I wrote with this pen posted and it was comfortable initially. After about ten minutes, my hand gota bit fatigued.I think this was due to the thin diameter of the section/barrel combined with its very lightweight. It probably wouldn’t be my journal penin the near future but it was good to try it out. Interesting. I probably won't experience this since I rotate through my pens and don't use one daily for weeks on end. Good to keep in mind though. Your Pilot pen will now have its new nib installed, and you are ready to add ink and write! As pens like the Pilot Prera do not have nib units in other sizes available for them, purchasing an inexpensive Plumix or Penmanship is an easy way to acquire a compatible medium italic or extra-fine nib for your not-so-inexpensive Prera.I’ve always assumed it mean “calligraphy medium” but anyway, I now have 5 Preras…all with the CM nib. I would prefer CON-50/CON-40 over CON-20 any time. In my opinion, a converter must show the ink level better than piston filling pens, and must be easier to clean compared to piston filling pens. The CON-20 simply doesn't meet this requirement. In fact for any of my Pilot pens that came with the CON-20, or the squeeze converter that is a bit simpler than the CON-20, I do not use them at all and immediately buy a CON-50/CON-40 replacement. Lastly, and this is totally up to you, but you probably want a pen that isn’t too expensive. This is normally not an issue because of the requirement for plastic parts, but it’s something to keep in mind anyway. Things You Need For a Conversion It’s much nicer in my hand than a 1.1 nib. Yes, I have many other pens and nib sizes but still love my Preras. I myself can't go finer than a Japanese medium. I simply have a preference for medium nibs all the way, though I will go Japanese Broad if it's consistent with smaller Japanese sizings relative to European nibs.

Pilot are not especially well-known in the UK for fountain pens. This is sad, as the company was originally built on this type of pen and in Japan they offer an enormous range of them. However, we've been doing our best to rectify that over the years, and Pilot UK have also been growing the range available here.Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time." True. I wrote all the wedding invitations for a couple of friends once. They asked me and I said I would but only as a wedding present. They invited myself and my wife to the wedding. It was held an amazing place called Portmeirion here in Wales. The TV 1960s cult classic programme ‘The Prisoner’ was recorded there. Additionally they booked a room too for an overnight after wedding reception stay with a group of friends. Magical place at night. That is what a bit of flamboyance in our use of pen and ink can produce. An amazing lifelong memory. 😊 All the best. Then there’s the Pilot Prera: A pen too short to use unposted for larger hands paining those such as myself to go through that hassle to…

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment