276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hothouse Flower: The romantic and moving novel from the bestselling author of The Seven Sisters series

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Plot twists range from predictable to absolutely ridiculous. One in particular toward the end was just totally absurd, negating whatever redeeming qualities the novel had maintained up to that point. But what bugged me the most are those stupid dialogues. I haven't read so much bullshit in a very long time. Seriously, people don't talk like that. Especially not, if they know each other. And what made me laugh out loud are sentences like "I hope I am worth enough for you", from a person living in 2010. Oooooookay. Don't miss this alluring story with its captivating characters who have secrets that span 70 years and a family that makes a full circle with Wharton Park being the beginning and the end. Daisy Calloway is finally eighteen. With her newfound independence, she can say goodbye to her overbearing mother and continue her modeling career. Next stop: Paris. Fashion Week begins with a bang, and Daisy uncovers the ugly reality of the industry. She wants to prove to her family that she can live on her own, but when everything spirals out of control, she turns to Ryke to keep her secrets. Daisy Calloway is eighteen. Finally. With her newfound independence, she can say goodbye to her overbearing mother and continue her modeling career. Next stop, Paris. Fashion Week begins with a bang, and Daisy uncovers the ugly reality of the industry. She wants to prove to her family that she can live on her own, but when everything spirals out of control, she turns to Ryke to keep her secrets.

Hothouse Flower by Krista Ritchie, Becca Ritchie

And then he receives a distressed call from a girl in Paris—a girl that he has never been allowed to have. There is truth about the old adage, "less is more". I was happily reading along when one extra twist in the story punted it firmly into the realm of melodrama. Unfortunately, there were a couple more twists to come. Lucinda Riley, you were doing just fine until you started to embellish too much. Lucinda Riley can truly spin a tale and frankly, after reading Kate Morton's novels, which are essentially tragedies, it's refreshing to read a story told in the same vein but with a more uplifting ending. Modern-day famous pianist barely subsisting and starving her way through recovery from a hinted-at horrible tragedy (which isn't actually told until 1/4 of the way through the book after I had ripped about half the hair off my head in frustration) In this case, I regret wasting my time. I feel like a fool because I kept slogging on until the end, despite early and plentiful signs that it wasn't going to be what I hoped; I admit I was interested enough in the plot to just read a little further... a little further... But it just could have been so much better.

This is an inter-generational drama based at an old estate in England, following the families who live there. I mean the prologue was kinda great and I thought, OMG, this book has to fantastic. I was SO wrong. After the prologue the whole story goes down the drain and only consists of stupid and blunt characters that are all so very annoying and not likeable at all. Plus, they don't show how they feel nor is the author able to make the reader care at all for them. They are all like puppets on a string. Same with the setting. You have no pictures in mind when Harry is in Bangkok or Julie in France. They are there. The end. WTF?

The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley | Goodreads The Orchid House by Lucinda Riley | Goodreads

On the whole, I really liked this book. I questioned a couple things (I'll get into that) but as a whole, I really liked this historical fiction book. Burgeoning romantic relationship with modern-day rake with a heart who also happens to be an aristocrat with a beautiful ancestral homeWharton Park holds a special place in the heart of Julia Forrester, a world-renowned concert pianist. As a child, Julia spent time there since her grandparents were long-time employees of the Crawfords and lived in a cottage on the grounds of the manor. Her grandfather grew exotic orchids and made Wharton Park famous for the rare flowers; her grandmother, Elsie, was a lady's maid. Their devotion to the manor parallels that of the servants of Downton Abbey for the Granthams. Julia's summers at the estate were dreamlike: "The tranquility and warmth of the hothouses—sitting snugly in the corner of the kitchen garden, sheltered against the cruel winds that blew in from the North Sea during the winter—stayed in her memory all year." I still really liked this book and would definitely recommend it even with these couple of things that I didn't care for. Mane knyga sudomino dėl pavadinimo, nes pats auginu orchidėjas. Ir knygoje iš tikrųjų buvo kalbama apie jas, nes jos buvo auginamos Vorton Parko šiltnamiuose. Tačiau man labiausiai patiko Olivijos ir Hario istorija, nes ji turi LGBT prieskonio. Nenoriu išduoti kas ir kur, bet mažytis gay vibe‘as yra.

Hothouse Flower by Lucinda Riley | Goodreads Hothouse Flower by Lucinda Riley | Goodreads

I love these lines from the book: We are sharing a moment in time. Like the universe, there is no beginning or end. We just are.Now here's where I had some issues with the book. I had some trouble understanding the motives behind some of the characters. First, Henry, the heir to Wharton House, is sort of horrible. He leads Olivia on and traps her in a loveless marriage and only seems to be looking out for himself. He doesn't seem to understand why what he's doing is wrong and he sort of manipulates Julia's grandfather to get what he wants. Even though I liked the love story between Henry and Lidia, it made it a little hard to fully support their love story as Henry was just generally horrible.

Hothouse Flower: The Calloway Sisters, Book 2 (The Calloway

No explanation about the set of adult bones by the accident so the reader believes her husband truly dead.Riley reminds me of Kate Morton, and I also see traces of Downton Abbey. If you are a fan of either, I recommend this novel. It is easy to understand how The Orchid House took Europe by storm. I predict the same will happen in the United States. Julia, the protagonist has just had her world thrown upside down. Devastated and mostly catatonic, she stumbles upon a mystery of the noble house she grew up by. So at this point, the story takes off. We're introduced to a bevy of characters, including Harry, Lord Crawford. Oh man, was this guy unlikeable or what? He marries this largely affable girl, Olivia, whom he hurts repeatedly. One second, he's possibly gay and is found kissing one of her male friends. No harm, no foul. It turns out he was confused and professes to Olivia that he loves her and wants to do right by her. She gives him a second chance and the reader is treated to a few paragraphs where the couple are basking in their new love. Then he goes off to war and falls in love with a 17 year old in Thailand, then makes plans to be with her and leave his wife because apparently, he never loved her. I'm sorry. He was an selfish asshole. Anyway, it turns out that Julia, remember our modern-day protagonist, is his granddaughter. Turns out, he unknowingly left the 17 year old pregnant. I think this book would have been better had Harry been more likable.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment