276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Red Herrings and White Elephants: Albert Jack

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I believe that in Hungarian, “fehér elefánt” (white elephant) simply means something very rare, same as the more common “fehér holló” (white raven). Unfortunately, this book contains way too many phrases I've never heard before, and many of the explanations are a let down (unnecessary, or based on folk stories).

Red Herrings and White Elephants - Google Books Red Herrings and White Elephants - Google Books

The phrase was a standard part of the nautical language by 1669 and in wider use by the turn of the following century. and some odd dollars for holy shorts, a poor selection of xmas presents (sue me, or confine me to hell) and some odds and ends. Since then, we have regularly used expressions containing the term, such as to Nail One’s Colours to the Mast. When somebody Passes With Flying Colours they have achieved something with distinction, or been successful in a difficult task. As bold as brass is applied to anyone with the courage of their conviction and not afraid to be seen either succeeding or failing.

Making money Hand Over Fist alludes to the practice of making steady financial gain, and usually pretty quickly. As Brass had gone against the wishes of Parliament, he was thrown in the Tower of London, but, when he was brought to trial, several judges refused to hear the case and, after protests from the public, he was released. Two sheets controlled each sail and the story is that if one of the sheets wasn’t properly handled, then the other three (of the two sails) would be ‘to the wind’. But the roots of “dicey” lie, not in the clouds, but on the gambling tables (or the floor of an RAF hangar). An enjoyable and interesting guide to the historic stories behind many current and recent-times sayings within the English language.

Red Herrings and White Elephants by - Perlego [PDF] Red Herrings and White Elephants by - Perlego

Each of these lengths would need to be bound tight at both ends to prevent them from unravelling, which would be disastrous during a storm. I am aware, though, that the two examples I gave for other possible explanations do not agree with each other, which is the reason I included both of them. To Flog A Dead Horse is to waste time and energy on a situation that will clearly have a negative outcome. Instead it implies someone is involved in something not entirely within the rules, and perhaps gaining more than they should be. Academic and Scholarly books and Modern First Editions ,and all types of Educational Reference Literature.

In medieval Britain it was standard practice to drape a drowning, or drowned, person face down over a large barrel to try and clear their lungs.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment