276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kathryn Maple – A Year of Drawings

£12£24.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Kathryn Maple’s Under a Hot Sun opens on 13 February 2023 and runs until 30 April 2023. For more information, visit: www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/ kathrynmaple. I feel like people will want to make up for lost time. The idea of a pre-determined single-direction route through a show is something I could imagine working quite well at Walker Art Gallery for instance. I hope it will mean that people spend longer in front of each piece of work, and really take them in. Hopefully, slowing down, not having to rush, just having that one thing to do today, we’re really going to take our time over each piece of work. The auction closes at 9pm, Mon 5th July. However, if a bid is placed in the last two minutes, the auction end time will extend on that lot for an additional two minutes, or until all bidding has ceased. This is called Popcorn Bidding or Bidder Extension and gives all bidders an equal chance of winning. Bid Increments

At the Walker there’s been a decent history of LGBTQI+ art – for example the Coming Outexhibition in 2017. But that was temporary, whereas this shows permanent additions. These artworks are in the collection along with works people know the Walker for, such as the Pre-Raphaelites. We’re putting our money where our mouth is – literally sometimes – when we’re buying work to add to the collection, to show we rate it as important as historical works.’ The artist’s recognisable style is based on mark-making and innovative ways of creating planes of colour with small marks. Figures melt into their surroundings and landscapes become awash with glimmering tones ranging from bright fresh greens to muted browns. 2020 John Moores Painting Prize winner Kathryn Maple I wouldn’t paint the walls in my house pink, green and brown, so why do these hues work so well here?” Kathryn Maple’s aptly titled exhibition at the Walker Art Gallery resonates with warmth, finds Maja Lorkowska-Callaghan… This exhibition both in subject matter and in organisation challenges the concept and mechanisms of how museum’s work. It asks the question ‘why if museums are for everyone is it only a select group of people who choose what is collected and displayed?’It also includes a private collection of Nash’s drawings, paintings, photographs and ephemera that have barely ever been shown in public and which offer a direct insight into the life of Paul Nash and his brother John. The exhibition does demonstrate the breath of fresh air that the Impressionists gave to smoky Victorian Britain with stunning work by Pissarro, who maintains a gentle balance between abstraction and observation, and the largest selection of Monet’s Houses of Parliament paintings to have been shown in Europe for the last 40 years. The work above is by Clare Woods who works in both London and Wales, she is known for her large scale paintings, that are often almost optical illusions in their abstraction, and for having produced produced several high end commissions, including one for London Olympic Delivery Authority. Over the last few months there has been some amazing support from South Korean collectors. They saw the video about the initial win and reached out to me about my work, asking lots of questions, which is amazing. I haven’t really shown much outside of the UK so it's nice to know that my work is out there. What's really interesting is that they are all around my age, so quite young. One said to me recently ‘I’m really excited to see your career grow as someone from my generation’. The Prize has certainly broadened the view of my work on the world stage and I have welcomed several collectors and art enthusiasts to my studio, definitely boostered by the win.

It’s bizarre how the mood surfaces later with that kind of feeling. It was really interesting to hear the comments that I received from the panel. The painting definitely has that sort of rush of people finding their place again in the world, finding their feet again. There is a sort of buzz and energy building amongst them. Additionally, the Tate has developed a VR experience of Modigliani’s The Ochre Atelier: his last studio in the centre of Paris in the early 20th century. This is a chance to enter into the mindset of Modigliani and fully consider his short and intense life. The painting will also be included in the collection of the Walker art gallery, which organises what is Britain’s biggest painting prize. Kathryn Maple: Under a Hot Sun at the Walker Art Gallery Maja Lorkowska, Exhibitions Editor Last Updated 1 February 2023 'Paper Hats' (oil on canvas) is part of Kathryn Maple’s collection to be displayed at Walker Art Gallery. It takes its revolutionary aim further and allows you to vote for a work to be ‘released’ from storage and put on public display. This hopes to open up the idea that museums could be democratic, and trial what happens if you democratically curate an exhibition.

Making A Mark on Art

Within the works themselves you can see and feel the disruption that the First World War had on romanticism and pastoral themes, the landscape becomes bleached out, disturbed, infinite as if nothing can be contained anymore. Stezaker has sought in this exhibition to portray Nash and his fellows sense of dislocation and unease with the everyday—each work seems to be an uncanny relative of the works that were produced a decade before. The exhibition forms a narrative of where Nash’s unreal landscapes have taken painters from the 20th century up to today, because of this it features Stezaker’s own landscapes which response to the strange sense of estrangement and the uncanny in Nash’s work. Mark-making is at the heart of Maple’s practice: exacting shapes and lines contrast with areas which have been lightly worked. Her colour palette is vivid – forest greens, rich indigos and deep magentas. A foliage motif lends an ethereal and mysterious atmosphere to her dense compositions, but recognisable references such as the swoosh of a Nike logo on a pair of trainers, and a yellow Nivea crest on a bottle of sun cream, set the works firmly in the contemporary moment.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment