276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Place Called Perfect: 1

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The book has a dystopian feel to it, with those people that conform to Perfects society being allowed to stay in Perfect and those that don’t being cast aside to No-Man’s Land. Right from the bat I knew something was up with Perfect, but what? Well, the writer slowly builds up and shows us hints, little secrets, little twitches in the characters, mysterious events. It was never a slow or dull moment, instead I just hungrily ate it all, I wanted to know more. I wanted to figure out everything there was about this town, about its residents, about the Archers.

As we are following Violet through moving into her new home in Perfect with her parents, we gradually find out more about the town along with her. Her dad got a great job there. The founders of an important business in the town, comes to greet Violet and her family. They even serve them their favorite tea. Apparently, everyone in the town needs to wear glasses, due to something in the air. So they all get fitted for special glasses in town. I first starting thinking about this story when I bought a pair of old bifocal glasses in an antique shop in Australia. I loved them, and still carry them everywhere with me. I had contemplated taking out the glass and replacing it with my own prescription...That notion started me on the train of thought for this book... A Place Called Perfect, the middle-grade debut of graphic designer Helena Duggan, follows the story of Violet Brown who finds life as she knows it thrown up in air as her parents decide to move to a place called Perfect. Her father, a renowned ophthalmologist had been offered an attractive new job in this strange little town and Violet can do nothing but agree to this sudden turn of events- who cares if she has to leave her friends and everything she holds dear in her old life?

Disclosure

Dr. Eugene Brown was a top Ophthalmologist, (eye surgeon), and had been headhunted by the Archers to fix the problem. Eugene moved to Perfect with his wife Rose, and ten year old daughter Violet. Sure enough the next day all three went blind and needed the special glasses to be able to see again. Violet and Boy form a beautiful friendship even-though they have been brought up very differently. They learn to get along together, although there are a few moments where they are not so nice to one another. They are very likeable characters. Violet goes from this little girl who is scared of everything, to one that is brave, resilient and determined.

I think it promotes a really good message too - to accept people for who they are and that friendship and family very important. All in all, I'd say A Place Called Perfect is the perfect choice if you're looking for a brilliantly spooky, wildly imaginative story this Halloween season- or any time of the year, really. You'd no doubt appreciate the wonderfully creepy world and the fantastically crafted characters, and if you, like me, like your horror in mild doses, this book is for you! Recommended to fans of Coraline, Tim Burton, and the Wizard of Oz.

Have you seen this?

I loved the interaction between Boy and Violet. They made a good duo. Bouncing off ideas, helping and saving each other. Plus their jokes and snark had me in stitches. :P Throughout all this there's a serious message to be found too. The book makes us think how we may be unwittingly made to fit a "perfect" mould, and how we may be oblivious to it all, content with following the majority without any questioning. I loved this book because it was fiction.Also my favourite character was Violet because she is adventurous and unique.She is unique because she doesn’t come from perfect and the tea and glasses don’t work on her meaning she still has full imagination.I really recommend this book for someone any age!!! RE-READ 22.10.21 - Kept my rating at 4 stars. Will hopefully be getting to the sequel FINALLY next month, after reading this for the first time in May 2020. I am still a bit emotional as this was a terrific book, so bear with me while I try to write a review.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment