276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Letters from the Lighthouse: ‘THE QUEEN OF HISTORICAL FICTION’ Guardian: 1

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Discuss the feelings relived for the grandfather as he read the letters. The letters could be notes he kept for himself or letters from fallen allies.

Emma Carroll is brilliant. Everything she writes is brilliant. This is a fact. Yet, somehow, she has managed to top her previous works with the stunning Letters From The Lighthouse. There are some true heart-in-your-mouth moments and heavily moving parts that make it so difficult to put it down. You simply need this book if you're a Year 5 or 6 teacher., The Teaching Booth Letters from the Lighthouse starts off with relatively few characters, but the number increases steadily as the book progresses, resulting in quite a few by the end. Each character feels necessary, and it’s clear that Emma Carroll has put a lot of thought into what each one can bring to the story. This asymmetric character structure gives the story room to delve into the deep-rooted prejudices often faced by refugees, as seen through the eyes of open-minded children. By shining a spotlight on supplementary characters’ preconceptions and showing their progression towards change and acceptance, my class were able to connect with the injustices faced by refugees, both in the past and the present, on a far deeper level. Initially, I didn't want to read a WW2 book, but having read it, I'm really glad that I did and it has left me in the mood for more Emma Carroll books. It gave me a feel for WW2 and the contrast between countryside and city life. I think it should be for aged 9 and above as it would go over the heads of younger children. It was accurate, clever and intriguing, and it also was fun and had a satisfying ending. I highly recommend it. Olive is 10, and she is dertemend to find out what happend to her sister. Sukie is Olives sister, who goes missing one night during an air raid. Cliff, who is 7, is Olive's younger brother. Ephtaim is the mysterious lighthouse keeper. They are evacuated to Devon where they try to solve the mystery of their missing sister. I really liked this book because it was full of mysteries. But the only thing I didn't like about it was that when all the exciting bits ended there wasn't much happening for 3 or 4 paragraphs. My favourite character was Sukie because she really wants to help with this plan to save people, who live in other countries where the war is really bad. The other characters who are in the book are: Olive, Cliff, Ephraim, Pixie (the dog),Mum and Gloria. I thought the book showed the history of the war very well but I think it is more suitable for older children because as we know the war was a difficult time and a lot of people died. This showed me what it was like in the war. My favourite part was when they found a suitcase from one of the people that her sister was trying to save. The book was quite grabbing for me and I would definitely recommend this book to other people who like history like me.The book begins with a young girl, Molly, and her family being evacuated from their London home during World War II. She moves to the isolated Cornish coast with her father, who is an air raid warden, where she finds solace in discovering the secrets of the mysterious old lighthouse at the nearby harbor. The main theme of Letters from the Lighthouse is the importance of family, friendship, and loyalty in the face of adversity. Mi se părea că oamenii erau mult mai greu de descifrat decât codurile. Și totuși, nu conta de unde veneam, care era limba noastră, naționalitatea sau religia, atâta timp cât priveam cu toții spre lumină.” I did enjoy this book because I like the characters in the story. I thought that the story was interesting and that the history in the book was believable. I found the history about World War II interesting and it encouraged me to try to find out more. In this book, there were not a lot of illustrations but the ones there were, were thorough and detailed to help visualise the story.

Opening scene, discuss the setting and the title - let children make predictions about the content. Your Ks2 class will then use this information to answer the comprehension questions based on: retrieval, inference and vocabulary. After Suki's disappearance, Olive's mother fears for her children's safety and evacuates them to Devon where they stay in a lighthouse. Even though Olive is in Devon, she is determined to find out what really happened to her sister. Olive is still convinced that she is still alive somewhere. A very different book.It is wonderful how Emma Carrol makes her book about a girl and her brother who've been evacuated to the countryside to escape the Nazis. Wouldn't you love to sleep in the lighthouse! A beautifully written story about bravery, compassion, understanding, and having the strength to fight for what you believe in. ~ Shelley Fallows

There’s so many great Children’s historical fiction available at the minute and Carroll continues that trend. This is a great resource that can accompany chapter 5 – Caring for Evacuees is a National Service from the Letters from the Lighthouse book. This is a fantastic comprehension resource linked to chapter 19 of Letters from the Lighthouse and breaks down different types of questions from the categories: vocabulary, retrieval, inference and comparisons. I absoloutly recomend this book.It is full of excitement and the author shows its talent by using different types of writing texts.It is educational and easy to understand. I would love to know Emma and a few of her friends, and then there are others... well, sigh. Isn't that life, though?

Emma Carroll is said to be the queen of middle grade historical fiction. One book down and a handful more to go, and I���m already agreeing with this statement! LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives. Court Lane Junior Academy is part of the University of Chichester (Multi) Academy Trust, a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales. Company number 8595545.My daughter said "I really liked this book and it has to have a 5 star rating. The characters are amazing and the plot is amazing. Everyone should read this book. Thanks Emma Carroll. I can't wait to read your next book The Lost Boy."

I enjoyed reading this book. I found the characters really interesting and there were some really exciting twists and turns but at times I found the plot a little bit confusing! I'm not sure if the history in the book was realistic as I think that Britain did allow refugees to come into the country in the second world war. I am already very interested in WW2. I would like to read more books by Emma Carrol and I would definitely recommend this book to other readers. Emma Carroll is the author of Letters from the Lighthouse, a 2018 historical fiction novel set in World War II. She is an award-winning writer for children and young adults, having won the Costa Children’s Book Award for her debut novel Frost hollow Hall in 2014. I enjoyed this book because it is set in the war and it gives you the feel of what it was like to be in it. My favourite character was Olive because she had a lot of courage and she did things for other people that needed help. She was always looking after her little brother Cliff even though it was tough. When I had read this book, it made me want to read lots more like it because it made you feel as if you were one of the characters. This book made me feel like I wanted to research the war and find out the little things that I did not realise about it. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes lighthouses and coded messages. This moving and memorable homage to E Nesbit's classic story is no ordinary children's book. A heart-wrenching and poignant tribute to 'all the boys and girls, 1914-18', it is a must-read for children and adults alike.This is a great comprehension resource that gives your class a brief overview of kinder transport, kristallnacht, Refugee Children’s Movement and more… On the cover of one of Carroll’s books, she is proclaimed as the Queen of historical fiction. I now understand why. This book is about a brother and sister, Cliff and Olive, who are evacuated from London to Budmouth Point during the Second World War. Their older sister Sukie is missing and no one knows if she's still alive. Why was Sukie dressed up like her mother when she disappeared? Lovereading4kids are big fans of Emma’s books. Her stories continue to delight and move me, and Letters from the Lighthouse does not disappoint at all.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment