276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The BFG

£8.79£17.58Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dahl could create the book that hooked me from the beginning and the ending of this book was so delightful, I felt very happy after I finished it. I like his writing style, it captivates me to no end. Quite aside from character, Dahl's style deserves praise over all. One gift Dahl had as a writer was a beautiful linguistic economy, able to highlight atmospherically features of the environment or conjure grand sights like bottled dreams or fifty foot tall brutish giants with only a few well chosen sentences. Whether wistful, horrific or mysterious, Dahl's command of mood, ambience and action is deeply admirable and something many writers would envy. This is particularly true when Dahl gets to the villains of the piece. Once you’ve finished, roll up your piece of paper, pop it in a jar for The BFG, and leave it by your bedroom window. If you wanted to make something extra special, then have a go at decorating your jar. One of the biggest chatbags is the cattlepiddlers,' the BFG said. 'What do they say?' 'They is argying all the time about who is going to be the prettiest butteryfly. That is all they is ever talking about.' 'Is there a dream floating around in here now?' Sophie asked. The BFG moved his great ears this way and that, listening intently. He shook his head. 'There is no dream in here,' he said, 'except in the bottles. I has a special place to go for catching dreams. They is not often coming to Giant Country.' 'How do you catch them?' 'The same way you is catching butteryflies,' the BFG answered. 'With a net.' He stood up and crossed over to a corner of the cave where a pole was leaning against the wall. The pole was about thirty feet long and there was a net on the end of it. 'Here is the dream- catcher,' he said, grasping the pole in one hand. 'Every morning I is going out and snitching new dreams to put in my bottles.' Suddenly, he seemed to lose interest in the conversation. 'I is getting hungry,' he said. 'It is time for eats.' 40 The BFG study guide contains a biography of Roald Dahl, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.

Bfg, the eBook : Dahl, Roald, Blake, Quentin, Walliams, David

The BFG first appears as a story told to Danny by his father in Danny, the Champion of the World. The ending is almost the same as James and the Giant Peach, when he writes a story about himself, by himself. Also, Mr. Tibbs relates to Mrs. Tibbs, the friend of Mr. Gilligrass, the U.S. president in Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. The BFG then explains that he must stay with her forever, as no one can know of his existence. He warns her of the dangers of leaving his cave, as his neighbors are sure to eat her if they catch her. The BFG then explains what he was doing with the trumpet and suitcase. He catches dreams, stores them in the cave, and then gives the good ones to children all around the world. He destroys the bad ones. The BFG then explains that he only eats snozzcumbers, which are disgusting vegetables that taste of frogskins. Another giant, the Bloodbottler, then storms in. Sophie hides in a snozzcumber and is nearly eaten by the Bloodbottler. In closing, although I enjoyed this book because of Dahl's creativity in coming up with a BFG and a dreamblower, etc, I don't think that it should hold such a coveted place in children's literature because it is somewhat outdated in its attitude, and there are many, many wonderful children's adventure novels out there with which to replace it. I think that it would be a good novel to discuss with kids, but I don't think that parents/teachers should just give it to kids an example of a "good book" because remember loving it during their childhood.This was full of adventures. I think any kids could easily have loved this. I've also come to appreciate Dahl’s wry humour and his new never-been-seen-on-dictionaries vocabularies have marked his writing style as unique. In this story a Big Friendly Giant is trying to stop the mean Giants eating the harmless humans. I like the bit when they captured . The BFG has won numerous awards including the 1985 Deutscher Jugendliteraturpreis as the year's best children's book, in its German translation Sophiechen und der Riese [16] and the 1991 Read Alone and Read Aloud BILBY Awards from the Children's Book Council of Australia. [17] Human beans is the only animals that is killing their own kind. Even poisnowse snakes is never killing each other. Nor is the most fearsome creatures like tigers and rhinostossterisses. None of them is ever killing their own kind. Has you ever thought about that?’ Dahl, Roald. Gjiganti i madh i mirë (in Albanian). Translated by Naum Prifti. Çabej: Tiranë. OCLC 472785476.

BFG - Full audiobook with text (AudioEbook) Roald Dahl | The BFG - Full audiobook with text (AudioEbook)

The Witching Hour Sophie couldn't sleep. A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right on to her pillow. The other children in the dormitory had been asleep for hours. Sophie closed her eyes and lay quite still. She tried very hard to doze off. It was no good. The moonbeam was like a silver blade slicing through the room on to her face. The house was absolutely silent. No voices came up from downstairs. There were no footsteps on the floor above either. The window behind the curtain was wide open, but nobody was walking on the pavement outside. No cars went by on the street. Not the tiniest sound could be heard anywhere. Sophie had never known such a silence. Perhaps, she told herself, this was what they called the witching hour. The witching hour, somebody had once whispered to her, was a special moment in the middle of the night when every child and every grown-up was in a deep deep sleep, and all the dark things came out from hiding and had the world to themselves. The moonbeam was brighter than ever on Sophie's pillow. She decided to get out of bed and close the gap in the curtains. You got punished if you were caught out of bed after lights-out. Even if you said you had to go to the lavatory, that was not accepted as an excuse and they punished you just the same. But there was no one about now, Sophie was sure of that. 8 If you didn’t dream, maybe you could write about your best dream ever! You could even keep a dream diary for a whole week if you want to. a b Dellatto, Marisa (20 February 2023). "Roald Dahl Books Get New Edits—And Critics Cry Censorship: The Controversy Surrounding 'Charlie And The Chocolate Factory' And More". Forbes. Jersey City, New Jersey, USA. ISSN 0015-6914. Archived from the original on 28 February 2023 . Retrieved 27 February 2023. There is something intrinsically frightening about giants, especially the thought of giants snatching children (or indeed anyone), out of bed at night with a hand through the window, and this is exactly how The BFG begins, with the orphan Sophie, (named for Dahl's grand daughter), seeing a tall thin giant on the street of her village and promptly being kidnapped by him and taken off to his cave in Giant country.From Sophie's adventures with the BFG and James' journey on the Giant Peach, to Matilda's brilliant bravery and Charlie's first step into the world of Wonka - Roald Dahl stories celebrate the incredible potential of young people and the power of kindness.

Roald Dahl challenge week three: The BFG | National Literacy Roald Dahl challenge week three: The BFG | National Literacy

The BFG is a good book it's about a little girl called sophy who saw the BFG who was blowing dreams in to childrens ears with his silent horn . There are bad giants that eat children because they thought we were human bens insted of humans beingsThey maybe is looking a bit propsposterous to you,' the BFG said, 'but you must believe me when I say they is very extra-usual ears indeed. They is not to be coughed at.' 'I'm quite sure they're not,' Sophie said. 'They is allowing me to hear absolutely every single twiddly little thing.' 'You mean you can hear things I can't hear?' Sophie said. 'You is deaf as a dumpling compared with me!' cried the BFG. 'You is hearing only thumping loud noises with those little earwigs of yours. But I am hearing all the secret whisperings of the world!' 'Such as what?' Sophie asked. 'In your country,' he said, 'I is hearing the footsteps of a ladybird as she goes walking across a leaf.' 'Honestly?' Sophie said, beginning to be impressed. 'What's more, I is hearing those footsteps very loud,' the BFG said. 'When a ladybird is walking across a leaf, I is hearing her feet going clumpety-clumpety-clump like giants' footsteps.' 'Good gracious me!' Sophie said. 'What else can you hear?' 37 Sophie, an orphan, is taken away by a giant named BFG (Big Friendly Giant) as she sees him in the witching hour (a time when everyone is sleeping and giants show up). He takes her away because he is afraid that she will tell everyone and he will be in danger. BFG is a good giant. But his fellows aren't. They eat humans. But BFG don't. He considers it immoral. When Sophie learns this, she makes a plan with BFG to stop them. Also, I noticed that there was quite a lot of violence and racial stereotyping that would probably be controversial in a children's book by today's standards. This is just an observation, not me being the book police!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment