276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Living Vases Florist Bouquet Box Flower Plant Aqua Boxes ML - Choose Quantity and 22 Colour Choice (10, Mix) plus 1 pack branded Diamante Craft 5mm Clear Diamantes

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I first saw these at The Big One earlier this year and, while my initial assessment was probably similar to most people’s, they have actually proved to be more than ‘just green plastic boxes’. Central to AVK UK’s support for Aquabox is the sponsorship of five AVK UK employees – AVK-Aquabox Ambassadors - to work alongside Aquabox volunteers. The AVK UK team will work on a variety of initiatives such as improving logistics, assembly processes, and marketing. AVK UK has also committed to providing direct financial support and fundraising throughout the year. Over the past 30 years, Aquabox filters have provided untold thousands of people living in extreme deprivation with access to safe, clean water for drinking, for cooking and for washing. It’s almost entirely the work of unpaid volunteers – even now, there is only one paid staff member, and he’s a part-timer.

The storage space is created by a multitude of Aquabox elements, which can be combined to form plants of any size. The advantage of this method is that with this infiltration system, the cavity volume is up to 3 times larger than gravel ditch and thus space and excavation can be saved. It was in 1991 when two members of Wirksworth Rotary Club, Mike Hoole and Peter Hare, came up with a way to improve on the club’s charitable work. Aquabox is a Derbyshire-based charity. Since 1992, Aquabox has supplied AquaFilters into disaster areas. AquaFilters enable those affected to transform potentially contaminated water from streams and wells into safe drinking water. For many, this safe drinking water is fundamental to their survival, as well as reducing the incidence of water-borne diseases such as cholera. In these circumstances, people have no choice but to collect water from available local sources, such as streams, rivers and wells. Such water is often contaminated and unsafe to drink. Water-borne diseases such as cholera will spread rapidly, and will affect particularly the more vulnerable young and older members of a community. So how does Aquabox meet the challenge of providing safe drinking water during times of crisis?All our aid costs a significant amount to supply and distribute across the world and all our income is contingent upon the generosity of donors.

The only way to get the vital aid to those in need was on foot, often through dangerous and difficult terrain. I have the next biggest Staxx as well, the 15-litre, which lives in the boot of my car and is home to all my spares, such as gas, finger stall, a set of clean pants, toilet roll, batteries and leads.Teams of aid workers carried the boxes to tents and gave instructions on how to use correctly, allowing the refugees access to clean, safe water.

We managed to send shipments to both Yemen and Syria, as well as a further shipment to Nepal,” said Roger Cassidy, chair of trustees. Building and houses were destroyed or damaged, and 11 people died with a further 30+ declared missing. Mike and Peter’s idea was to replace the wooden box with a plastic crate so that with the addition of a charcoal filter, chlorine sterilising tablets and a tap, the crate could be used as a water reservoir and filter, to convert polluted water into safe drinking water.Paul Hubbard is Chairman of AVK UK: ‘AVK UK takes its CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) responsibilities very seriously. Before linking up with Aquabox, I met with their representatives and quizzed them on their financial stability and their plans for the future. I was impressed with their drive to double the number of filters and aid boxes they ship each year, and the way they partner with aid agencies in disaster areas to ensure the filters are deployed effectively. Water is fundamental to life and ensuring its safe and effective distribution across the UK is at the heart of what we do at AVK UK. I am confident that our AVK-Aquabox Ambassadors will help Aquabox meet its targets and improve its systems and processes. It’s a really worthwhile and inspiring charity.’ Working with the Gurkhas, Nepal Armed Police and Local Rotary clubs, aid boxes are able to be distributed to areas in need, however getting to these communities can prove challenging. Aquabox is an underground plastic module in which water is collected and stored. The aim of this system is to collect the rainwater temporarily and release it with a time delay into the sewage infrastructure, preventing flooding in urban areas. Wirksworth Rotary Club members were already contributing to an emergency box scheme initiated by the Rotary Club of Denton, helping to fill wooden boxes of humanitarian aid which were sent to disaster areas around the world.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment