276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Bat Book (Conservation for Kids)

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Bat Conservation produces a series of very helpful leaflets. Some are general introductions (The Amazing World of Bats, I am a Jo Nesbo fan. I have read all his other books in the Harry Hole series and mostly have been very impressed with the action, the narrative, the character development, the intrigue and the resolution. This book however is an exception to the series. It is banal, its language wooden, stilted and as an Australian reading Hole’s experience of his adventures in Sydney, Australia and of Australians, I generally felt let down and uncomfortable with the stereotypes and colloquialisms - of big waisted, slow witted, “dinkum” white Aussie males and the Indigenous cop’s voice felt stunted and farcical too – continually explaining the world in Dream-time stories and explaining everything very carefully... all the Australians had a dumbed down quality I did not like and I did not appreciate reading this interpretation of Australia and Australian life. (I did however enjoy the Dream-time stories perhaps worthy of a book in their own right but not relevant in this book) The political voice in this book was ...annoying. Bat identification to a particular species through the analysis of calls is not always straightforward, as Jon Russ warns. Some species have calls that are similar in structure, social calls may be very variable even within a species, and cluttered environments can distort call recordings. But armed with this practical little book, researchers, surveyors and amateurs can go out into the night with the benefit of the knowledge and experience built up over the years by Russ and his colleagues." A beautiful educational book with an important message. While learning about these elusive creatures, there are also fun activities for kids so they can learn how to support bats, including growing a bat-friendly garden to help them thrive. This group of manuscripts contains calendars plus the charts necessary for calculating eclipses and performing phlebotomy. Two men originally computed the charts in the 1380s – Nicholas Lynn, who worked for John of Gaunt, and John Somer, a Franciscan friar who worked for Joan of Kent. Their respective patrons charged them with the same task: to calculate the future movements of celestial bodies for four Metonic cycles, those beginning in 1387, 1406, 1425 and 1444.

Bats make the world a better place, making this nature book for kids an essential tool in encouraging the protection of bats for generations to come. Following on from The Bee Book and The Sea Book, Charlotte Milner continues to highlight critical ecological issues faced by our planet. The Bat Book is perfect for teaching little animal-lovers all about these clever creatures who do so much for our world. British Bat Calls covers topics such as the properties of sound; how bats use sound; bat detection methods; recording devices; analysis software; recording techniques and call analysis. For each species found in the British Isles, information is given on distribution; emergence times; flight and foraging behaviour; habitat; and echolocation including parameters for common measurements. Calls are described in the context of the different technologies used (heterodyne, frequency division and time expansion). Various spectrograms are displayed for each species using examples from both BatSound and AnaLook. An echolocation key is included with British Bat Calls. A sudden, uncontrollable fury rose in him, and he cast around for something to smash. He snatched the whiskey bottle from the table and was about to launch it at the wall, but changed his mind at the last moment. Lifelong training in self-control, he thought, opening the bottle and putting it to his mouth.” There is a lot of interesting discussion about Aborigine history, life and beliefs. I enjoyed those portions of the story immensely. And the criminal investigation was engaging and suspenseful, if a bit far-fetched in spots. I liked the way the story ends -- it was perfect.The book includes a very simple index of species pictured in the book. There are no additional links or resources included. A sudden, uncontrollable fury rose in him, and he cast around for something to smash. He snatched the whiskey bottle from the table and was about to launch it at the wall, but changed his mind at the last moment.

Four excellent and easy to use sound analysis books have been published by Pelagic Publishing. A Guide to British Bats and Bat Calls of Britain and Europe have been written by Jon Russ and give a clear explanation on how echolocation and bat detectors works. There are colour illustrations of sonograms for each species of British Bat and there is a useful selection on bat social calls.It covers heterodyne, time expansion and. frequency division. Knowing how to manipulate such a manuscript and read its complex diagrams would certainly have impressed the patient and establish a power and knowledge difference between doctor and patient. The manuscript would not only have aided the surgeon in his calculations, but also served to demonstrate his expertise, a little like today’s white lab coat and stethoscope.

This was kind of an odd experience because although The Bat is the first book in the series, it's the 9th or 10th book published in English. When I first started the series I was most seriously disturbed that they chose to start with The Redbreast, the third book (IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT), but I read an article about the author where he said he thought the first 2 books were not well-done and he was happy the English-language pubs were starting where they did. Okay, fine, I suppose the man knows his own series. (IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT.) However, no one predicted the popularity of the series and, as you can see, they eventually published the first 2 books. Me ha costado mucho acabarlo porqué no me apetecía nada cogerlo. Ni la trama es buena. Ni Harry Hole atrae lo más mínimo. Es un policía de perfil bajo. Un exalcohólico que, de repente, se pone hasta las cejas a beber y se pasa medio libro sobrio y el otro medio, borracho y contándonos como se va cayendo y vomitando por las calles. Nada. Un fiasco horrible y una gran decepción.

I really wanted to like this first Harry Hole novel, but I'm afraid I found it rather far fetched and dull. He is determined that he can do nothing to transfigure the unfortunate events that keep haunting him and therefore he resort to beverage not to comfort himself as he might believe but mostly to punish himself for the past he cannot change, for the lies he had to tell, for the love he had lost.As Metonic cycles last 19 years, both men calculated eclipses and Easters up til 1462. The NLS manuscript was made in the early 15th century. After 1462 it would have lost much of its usefulness. The Bat is the first book in the Harry Hole series and while this was an average story it did establish the character that has since gone on to facilitate some very engrossing thrillers. This book had too many plot holes and a constant question of why start a series about a Scandinavian investigator travelling to Australia. I can only presume that Jo Nesbo felt his home location may not have provided the most appealing setting for his debut. Perhaps my criticism is influenced by knowledge of how the series subsequently developed. It is clear that Jo Nesbo has an eye for suspense, surprises and a deadly killer. From the way they fly, to how they communicate with each other, how bats hunt, and why they sleep upside-down, each of the world's 1300 types of bat is unique and utterly fascinating. Bats are also incredibly important to the environment, from gobbling up pests to spreading seeds through the forests. They also pollinate over 500 different species of plants throughout the world, including fruits such as mangoes and bananas. This section covered the subject of bat detectors :) And succinctly explained just about everything you'd want to know about them. Several other topics were related, including the various methods of recording bat calls. I have an idea for Harry’s life, for what is going to happen to him. Harry’s near future looks bleak. After that it’s getting even worse. And after that everything is going to hell”

In summary, I found The Bat to be a welcome summer read -- engaging and difficult to put down. Definitely recommended for current and future fans of Harry Hole alike. I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series.

The Bat is a 1997 crime novel by Norwegian writer Jo Nesbø, it is the first book in the Harry Hole series. Both Lynn and Somer worked in Oxford, so all of the astronomical calculations are for that city. One can also see that the manuscript was written in Oxford because one of the university town’s local saints, St Frideswyde, is featured in the calendar for Oct 19. It is possible that a workshop in Oxford produced such almanacs for doctors working throughout Britain. This is the book that introduced Inspector Harry Hole of the Oslo Crime Squad--or it least it would have been had not several of the later Harry Hole novels reached the U.S. ahead of it. The wait is finally over, though, and The Bat is now at last available in a U.S. edition.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment