276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World

£13.75£27.50Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was fairly disappointed in this book, given the amount of hype that surrounds it in some circles. A couple specific gripes: muddling hypothesis and proven facts/theories, making huge, sweeping statements without footnotes or references - ie, this mushroom might cure cancer... sure, it might , so might dancing the tango, but how likely is it - when there are references, they are to the author's own work or to incredibly small science-fair-esque experiments. Further, I was put off by the whoo-whoo "Gaia hypothesis" language and underlying thesis.

But the woo was dispensed with as the author dove into the details and the science, and it was incredibly informative. Actually, too informative, but given that I live in a smallish urban apartment, that threshold is actually very low. The second part of the book is a manual of how to grow mushrooms and mycelium in various habitats and for various uses. It seemed to be targeted primarily to organizations and governmental entities that might be interested in one or more of the remedial uses of mushrooms, but there was some information that would be useful for the small private grower. I skimmed most of this, since I'm not planning to go into mushroom production. But you should at least skim it to get a flavor of the different ways it can be handled. Stamets was the recipient of the "Bioneers Award" from The Collective Heritage Institute in 1998,[4] as well as the "Founder of a New Northwest Award" from the Pacific Rim Association of Resource Conservation and Development Councils in 1999. He was also named one of Utne Reader's "50 Visionaries Who Are Changing Your World" in their November–December 2008 issue. In February 2010, Paul received the President's Award from the Society for Ecological Restoration: Northwest Chapter, in recognition of his contributions to Ecological Restoration. His work was featured in the documentary film The 11th Hour.[5] He has also been featured in the eco-documentary films Dirt (film)[6] and 2012, Time for a Change (film).[7]Stamets’s best work to date, Mycelium Running provides a wealth of information showing how fungal mycelia and mushrooms can profoundly improve the quality of human life. Should be mandatory reading for government policy makers.” This visionary and practical book should be an instant classic in the emerging science of how to use nature’s wisdom and fecundity to rescue the earth and ourselves from the unwelcome consequences of human cleverness.“ Stamets makes you daydream about the endless possibilities that the fungal world offers even while reading a book that is closer to being a textbook than a novel.

Mr Stamets includes a fair bit of science with the more practical side of things, but don't be afraid of that part. It's not beyond anyone's grasp and serves to give readers a better understanding of how the various types of fungi function and how you can better integrate it into your garden/ woodland /land/ smallholding/ farm. But my curiosity still remains about why the supposed power of mycelium is not being utilized. The world is practically on fire right now and I have read elsewhere that we don’t use mushrooms because the restorative effects of mycelium after a forest fire are too slow. From what I’ve read mycelium germs (seeds?) can be planted after the restoration process has been completed and will help with keeping plants moist in draught and assist with pest control etc., but this isn’t utilized either. This book is definitely more complicated to understand (I'll reread it several times and I'm pretty sure I'll continue to discover fascinating things with each reading).The basic science goes like this: Microscopic cells called “mycelium”–the fruit of which are mushrooms–recycle carbon, nitrogen, and other essential elements as they break down plant and animal debris in the creation of rich new soil. What Stamets has discovered is that we can capitalize on mycelium’s digestive power and target it to decompose toxic wastes and pollutants (mycoremediation), catch and reduce silt from streambeds and pathogens from agricultural watersheds (mycofiltration), control insect populations (mycopesticides), and generally enhance the health of our forests and gardens (mycoforestry and myco-gardening).

In Mycelium Running (Ten Speed Press 2005), Stamets explores the use and applications of fungi in bioremediation—a practice called mycoremediation. Stamets details methods of termite and ant control using nontoxic mycelia, and describes how certain fungi may be able to neutralize anthrax, nerve gas, and smallpox. [1] [2] He includes the following with regard to the mycelium: The author of numerous books and papers on the subject of mushroom identification and cultivation, Stamets has discovered four new species of mushrooms. He is an advocate of the permaculture system of growing, and considers fungiculture a valuable but underutilized aspect of permaculture. He is also a leading researcher into the use of mushrooms in bioremediation, processes he terms mycoremediation and mycofiltration. Repeated rhapsodizing, mostly in the first third of the book. I don't know about the rest of the audience, but when I'm reading anything marketed as scientific nonfiction, I expect science every step of the way. Phrases like "mushrooms are shamanic souls, spiritually tuned into their homelands," "mushrooms are forest guardians," "ancient mycological wisdom," "collective fungal consciousness," and, inexplicably, "chi power" take away from the overall message. I get it, the guy is passionate about (and may worship) mushrooms; I'm passionate about birds; someone else is passionate about cats. Maybe this is his attempt to connect with the general public. But language like the above is more suited to an everyday conversation than a scientific text. There isn't a study out there that can prove the "shamanic soul" or "chi power" of a mushroom, and at the end of the day I don't want to know how much you love the mushroom, just why it should matter to me and humanity - which is the point, right? I LOVE MUSHROOMS! They can help digest old motor oil and pollutants. Why isn't all of our money going into mushroom research to heal our damaged planet?Chapter 1: as a manifesto of possible things, it's a good read. But there's a lot of conjecture, "I suppose it could"s and generally big ideas that have very little grounding in much apart from Stamets' own musing (which whilst undoubtedly have a basis in his own extensive experimentation, are pretty wild). Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms ★ The Mushroom Cultivator ★ Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World ★ Mycelium Running ★ From Bears & Trees to Mushrooms & Bees ★ Stamets is on the editorial board of The International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms, and is an advisor to the Program for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona Medical School, Tucson, Arizona. He is active in researching the medicinal properties of mushrooms,[2] and is involved in two NIH-funded clinical studies on cancer and HIV treatments using mushrooms as adjunct therapies. Having filed numerous patents on the antiviral, pesticidal, and remediative properties of mushroom mycelia, his work has been called pioneering and visionary.[3] A strong advocate of preserving biodiversity, Stamets supports research into the role of mushrooms for ecological restoration. Das Buch ist reich bebildert, und dazu geeignet, die gängigen Pilzarten zu bestimmen. Der Autor beschreibt eingehend die Möglichkeiten, Pilze in der Landwirtschft und im Gartenbau einzusetzen, um die Qualität des Bodens auf natürliche Art zu optimieren, oder das Wachstum von Pflanzen zu fördern, indem ihnen eine Verbindung mit Mycorrhiza ermöglicht wird. Das Buch ist leicht verständlich, unterhaltsam, enthält aber gleichzeitig eine Fülle von Informationen.

The book starts by diving deep into the mysterious underground network of mycelium, the foundation of the mushroom ecosystem. You'll learn how these tiny threads can break down dead plant matter and form partnerships with plants that will blow your mind! Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World is the sixth book written by American mycologist Paul Stamets. Mycelium Running is a manual for the mycological rescue of the planet. That’s right: growing more mushrooms may be the best thing we can do to save the environment, and in this groundbreaking text from mushroom expert Paul Stamets, you’ll find out how. Made the mistake of trying to take on Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms first. This is way more accessible as a reference-- more like a high school textbook.Prototaxites, a giant fungus dotting the landscapes of Earth and was the tallest organism on land 420 million years ago Paul Stamets manages to convey his passion for mushrooms, making all of us who are passionate about them build a small mycelium that unites us. He also spreads that little great hope that makes you think that maybe we still have time to save the planet if we listen to the earth.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment