276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sensory: Life on the Spectrum: An Autistic Comics Anthology

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Use age-appropriate photographs, picture symbols or drawings with text to help people who have difficulty reading or for younger children. We seek diverse viewpoints including those from autistic people, parents, siblings, therapists, and others. com/contributors often lists only their online user handles / aliases/ pseudonyms, so it took a little digging to connect Hallowmations to Angelina Eddins and ebm to Kyle Lewis, to name just two. Their high sensitivity allows them to understand and remember information from visuals exceptionally well — and it helps that Dekko’s visuals are designed to be interesting and entertaining; thus ezra easy to remember.

Well it shouldn’t be, but it is unfortunately when people are misunderstanding it or when the response to it is ill-adapted or discriminatory. Bex Ollerton is a former animator turned comic artist who creates comics about mental health, neurodiversity, and the general struggles of being a human in an overwhelming world. But that’s a holiday, its not his mum that’s the problem, Steve, its just she’s the one who is obliged to force your grandson to comply with the routines of school, maybe while she works.While learning how witches were shunned and silenced by society, she feels similarly outcast herself. I really appreciated all the different art styles and getting a peek into what being autistic is like. The 40 contributors all stress that many autistic individuals can live happy, healthy lives when they learn what they need to thrive, and when people learn more about them. Each person within a given race, religion and culture, has a different set of traits or ways in which the brain processes information. In April, Jake and I printed the first in a series of children’s easy readers focusing on basic sight words.

Helps me understand more about the differences and similarities between me and a person with autism! I explain the spectrum as ‘a colour wheel shot with shotgun pellets’ and that each autist has their own unique ‘constellation’ of traits, disabilty and gifts. My husband wtframecomics, who illustrates the comic, and I decided to post a comic each day of that April and we just kept making them!

So part of what this means is that people who are “on the spectrum” as a formal diagnosis, need a lot more help to function in a world and a society that has been designed or created for those people who are “typical”, or in other words not near the end of the distribution of expectations to what people’s brains can achieve and cope with. Similarly someone who is extremely dexterous and has great physical capabilities might find a world that is designed for people who are on average more clumsy than they are a bit annoying if they thought about it. Founded in 2013, by fellow autist Dave Kot, Face Value Comics aims (and succeeds) at being first and foremost entertaining, whilst also helping to educate younger autists. If you have not spent long periods of time around different autistic people, you should just not comment. But it's always a different experience reading work created FROM the mind and heart of that person rather than factual or narrative work ABOUT them.

Every year, April 2 marks World Autism Awareness Day, and one of the most important ways society can understand autistic people better is to listen to their stories. It shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes to complete if you like comics and 2 mins or less if you don't.You can use the comics and the lessons covered (with the characters and stories they like) to relate them to the real world and build the bridge of intrigue between the inner world and the outer world for your child. Not every installment spoke to me, but I’m sure that anyone looking to learn more about autism will find value. And Cy Popps’ ‘Autism Soup’ (below) is particularly engaging here, presenting the spectrum not as a range but as a soup of ingredients.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment