276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The King is Dead

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

As Abel steps into the spotlight alongside fellow actors Lucky, Ryan and Ella, he soon discovers that beneath the glittering surface of fame and riches lies a darker world of secrecy, scandal and murder. the Homo Sapiens Agenda meets The Inheritance Games in this Black LGBTQ+ royal romp full of heart-swooning romance, scandalous secrets and one hell of a mystery.

The King is Dead by Benjamin Dean | Goodreads The King is Dead by Benjamin Dean | Goodreads

The things he kept a secret as a Prince can no longer live beneath the shadow he’s cloaked it in, like his relationship that James has kept hush-hush, out of fear of what would happen if the world were to know he’s got a boyfriend. Benjamin Dean draws on his knowledge from his time as a celebrity journalist to create a jaw-dropping and addictive read. Perhaps it’s not so much the lack of subtlety as the apparent need to explain everything instead of letting the reader work some things out. There was a lot of greatness in this book, which, despite some odd pacing and a few questionable/unnecessary plot twists, is what ultimately stood out to me and made this a book I'd happily recommend, especially to a younger audience who may not find the 'big reveal' quite so predictable.Suddenly James can't trust anyone, even his closest confidants, then a reporter has made it his mission to tear James down and remove him, and his family, from the throne. How do you find out what really happened to your brother when it involves the secrecy of all that Hollywood offers? Their conclusion: a nice story, but … a bit boring and a rushed ending, a fun read but off pacing, a solid book but lacking subtlety, you name it. overall, i really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend to anyone else who enjoys reading about royalty.

The King is Dead by Benjamin Dean (9781398512542/Paperback The King is Dead by Benjamin Dean (9781398512542/Paperback

There were several times when I thought “oh okay I know what’s happening I guess that’s fine,” only to have the rug ripped out from under me for a different reveal. It was a fairly enjoyable read overall, and one of the few thrillers where I’ve actually managed to guess a majority of the twists (whether that’s a good or a bad thing is up to you, but I didn’t mind it honestly), although it’s not an immediate favorite.

If you want something contemporary with some slight elements of a romantic thriller, then I’d recommend it! This book definitely has impressive elements, and some are really well done, like how the British paparazzi treated a Black Crown Prince and King, and saw not a King but Black skin and a Black boy.

THE KING IS DEAD | Kirkus Reviews

There is a bonus end reveal which I definitely wasn’t expecting, and I am hoping it leads to more because it’s a fantastic cliffhanger! I also appreciated how the author included some of the characters dealing with grief and how they supported each other, it was heartwarming to read. Gossip Girl but make it royal – a Black LGBTQ+ royal reimagining full of scandalous secrets, rollercoaster romances and one hell of a mystery. The way Dean explored how the tabloids clawed at James’ secrets, outed him to the public at seventeen, and attacked his character and queerness, felt accurate to how they would likely treat a real queer prince. The story follows four young starlets all signed with a huge Hollywood studio in reviving a popular but cursed TV show.A scandalous peek behind the royal curtain, with more jaw-dropping, OMG-twists than even the most salacious tabloid journalist could create. Now, the secrets he could keep as a prince with no real responsibility - namely, his sexuality and hidden relationship - are rocked as his life irrevocably changes. But this story, even though it’s compared to Ace of Spades, doesn’t have the power and dynamic of that one. I'm a huge fan of making playlists for every feeling, season and reason; I always say that music is like reading for the soul. It's also hard to root for James when he quickly changes love interest when his one true love is currently kidnapped.

The King is Dead by Benjamin Dean - Audiobook | Scribd The King is Dead by Benjamin Dean - Audiobook | Scribd

His award-winning middle-grade debut, Me, My Dad and the End of the Rainbow, was described as 'One of the most joyful books you'll read this year' (The Bookseller), and he's since gone on to publish The Secret Sunshine Project, as well The King is Dead and How to Die Famous for older readers. Having read and loved his previous YA book, The King is Dead, my standards for it were high, yet somehow he managed to not just meet but surpass them.So when his father dies abruptly, he’s suddenly given a dose of massive responsibility as the new King. I loved everything about this book, I found the twists (both good and bad) absolutely thrilling and found myself immersed in the world of all things Omni. It took me a little bit of time to get into the story, but once I did I was hooked and couldn’t put it down! I know I have a real tendency to overthink when I’m reading and am forever trying to work out exactly where things are going. On my award-winning book blog, you can find a range of reviews of YA to Adult books and all the topics in-between.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment