276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Boys Will Be Human: A Get-Real Gut-Check Guide to Becoming the Strongest, Kindest, Bravest Person You Can Be

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After lovvving Man Enough, I immediately went and requested Boys Will Be Human, knowing I’d absolutely need this book for my family. My boys are 9 and 5, and while this book is geared for boys 11+, I loved learning more concepts and language I can start using now before I have my oldest listen to this book when it’s more age appropriate. I am totally using this french fry analogy to describe consent - it was so good! I just loved this book. It’s everything I want my sons to hear and know. The whole time I was listening to this, I was also just thinking about how valuable this could be for single mothers, too, who may not have a solid male role model to connect with on some of these topics. I am not the target audience for this book. However, as a mom of a boy and a teacher of many boys I wanted to read it before recommending my students take a look at it. Unfortunately I found it to be very boring and I don't see my students having the attention span for this book. I think there were a lot of great insights and gems inside the book. The prompts were great and I could see myself using those with students but some of the stories just dragged on. I often hook kids in with graphic novels and I could totally see them loving a graphic novel adaptation of this book. Or a possible workbook/journal type book where they read shorter stories and have space to reflect on the journal prompts. As any sort of independent reading I don't know if this would hold their attention. Be prepared: This book is raw and surprising. There is no subject off-limits or lies detected. Sometimes things might get a little uncomfortable, but that's an important part of getting to know—and believe in—yourself.

Boys Will Be Human: A Get-Real Gut-Check Guide to Becom…

This MG+ book has my whole heart. I believe every human should be required to read it and have the conversations that come naturally in every chapter. If you get uncomfortable or disagree KEEP READING! It’s okay to have those feelings—if you don’t have them while reading a personal development book then you’re doing it wrong. This was real, raw & relatable and it goes in any middle/high/public library immediately. One metric that signals that success is the way that they are getting together and gathering even without me or any prompting from me, and also exhibited in the group discussion I am hosting this week even after graduation because members of my community have asked for it. Welcome to another BIG GROUP discussion! This week is about Social Perfectionism. I have no problem believing men try to be socially perfect because we want to look "perfect" to people to keep them away? Impress others with our 'success'? It's pretty on brand I think, and we talk about it! This book isn’t about learning the rules of the boys’ club, it’s about UNLEARNING them. It’s a get-real guidebook that will show you how to be:Over the past few years, I have grown interested in the environment that allows for violence, hatred and misogyny to take place and adjacent to that, how boys and men are socialized. So, I decided to explore a very complex issue: the identity of a man. I wanted to know what it really means to perform masculinity and more about this whole toxic masculinity thing: where it came from, how it is perpetuated and how the use of such language affects the lives of real people. And it turned out, I was not the only one thinking critically about issues related to this community. Earlier this year, the American Psychological Association sounded the alarm when they created the first-ever explicit Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Men and Boys. While there had been previous guidelines for practice with women and girls, transgender people and gender nonconforming people, older adults and even guidelines for certain issue areas, but not for boys and men because for decades, psychology treated men (particularly white men) as the standard for psychological development and treatment. I encouraged people to follow me on social media and to use the hashtag #boyswillbe to either celebrate the boys and men in their life, to call our or expose traditional, old school ways that are harmful to men and others in their life or to talk about new ways to promote or discuss healthy masculinity — it is meant for as a starter for a wide range of discussions.In this highly politicized society, the term “toxic masculinity” to some is just a liberal scheme to emasculate and blame men. Our cultural concept of manliness glorifies stoicism, strength, virility, and dominance, and we know that it can be harmful to mental health thanks to the American Psychological Association.

Boys Will Be Human - HarperCollins Australia Boys Will Be Human - HarperCollins Australia

You share a lot in the book, and focus on social-emotional learning. What do you hope the takeaway will be?The name of my project comes from a very well-known phrase: boys will be boys. Michael Kimmel, an American sociologist and leading researcher and writer on men and masculinity, in 2012 asked, “Why don’t we say ‘boys will be boys’ when a man wins the Nobel Peace Prize?” And he asks a fair question. The phrase “boys will be boys” is often used to excuse problematic behavior rather than to celebrate the successes of men and boys. Today, one of my newest friends, Jose, and I discuss masculinity in the Latinx community, animated movies, going to Disneyland and the optics of being a man in the world.

Boys Will Be Human: A Get-Real Gut-Check Guide to Becom… Boys Will Be Human: A Get-Real Gut-Check Guide to Becom…

When posting on subreddits, other closed groups and DMs, I found that people seek like-minded people to communicate with, and one user told me he felt good sharing with others in the group because he might be able to help them. When I asked if he would be interested in doing so in person, he said maybe.ON OUR LAST EPISODE of 2020, we discuss the title topics as well as The Hanky Code, if you're a friend of Dorothy, and what is something we all enjoy that society wouldn't expect us enjoy. This has been amazing to do these past 21 episodes, and there will be more next year. If you have an idea you'd want to hear about, or be part of let us know! This is the rant/plea I needed deep down in my soul through very angry tears after listening while putting my 8 year old son to bed who has to grow up in this place too. We’re real people too ❤️

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment