276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ordnance Survey OS Explorer Ol24 The Peak District Walking Hiking Guide

£3£6Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This path on the Chee Dale walk is beautiful, during springtime you can smell wild garlic all around and it’s so green everywhere. It’s really relaxing and peaceful. After 300 m you’ll reach a fingerpost sign, turn right here, signposted ‘The Ridge’ and follow the footpath uphill. At the top, there’s another signpost, turn right here (signposted Danebridge) and go through the small gate. The footpath continues along the top of the ridge with beautiful views and you can look behind you towards The Roaches. Signpost on the Ridge This was one of my favourite parts of the walk. The contrast from being on the Monsal Trail to being below it within minutes is breathtaking. I’d recommend allowing plenty of time for this last section as there are lots of things to see. Here you will find details on how to get to the start of the walk at Gradbach, route information, a map, a GPX file, plus a detailed step-by-step guide of the walk.

For the above Chee Dalewalk you need the White Peaks Area OL24 map for the Peak District. If you want to explore the Dark Peaks area, including Kinder Scout and Mam Tor you need OL1 map. After exploring Thor’s cave on the walk from Wetton I hadn’t expected to find even more on the same walk. These caves are located just above Wetton Mill on this 5-mile loop from Wettonbut can easily be missed as the path takes you directly down to the mill. Unlike Thor’s Cave, you won’t need to torch to explore as the cave is aptly described as a hole because that’s pretty much what it is. You can still scramble up to the top part of the cave but as you can see from the picture above the light flooding in won’t give you any issues with navigating! Love the walks in the White Peaks? You might like these Peak District circular walks and you might even spot a few smaller caves on these walks too! Continue on towards Grangemill, then as the road descends, take a path on the left. On reaching the lane turn left and continue to the Holly Bush Inn at the crossroads of the Via Gellia. Keep left on the pavement and cross the busy road to a bridleway

If you’ve tried some of these walks and fancy trying a cave tour here are the most popular ones you can visit in the Peak District. The Hermit’s cave isn’t one that that you go inside, as you can see from the picture above it’s been fenced off, but it has a fascinating story and it’s certainly worth adding to your list of walks and caves in the Peak District to explore. Bear left, then immediately right leaving the road at a stile. Go ahead, crossing a small brook, then bear half left to a stile. Go half left to cross another ditch, then follow the hedge on the right to the road. Bear right uphill for 250 metres to a stile on the left. Go ahead from the stile, descend crossing a brook, then climb slightly right before bearing left to enter Parwich. Go past the church, then left at a green, to the village pond. It’s a sensation overload! Giant steps down to the water’s edge (even though they don’t look that big in this photo) The car park at Gradbach is a small free car park for up to about 20 cars.If possible, arrive early during peak times to guarantee a space. Please note there is no additional parking on the roads due to the narrow lanes leading up to the car park.

Descend the steep path to the next path on the right, this leads up some steps and across fields to skirt Calling Low Farm. Go through a copse then through a field to a stile. On entering a large field go diagonally to the right over the brow to another stile, then bear left to the road. Cross to Moor Lane and turn right at the car park, where a path leads to another road. Turn left then right again over a stile leading to the Youlgreave to Middleton road. Turn right and after 400m at a sharp bend go through Old stone slab bridge over the River Bradford, near Youlgreave YHA at the old Co-op in Youlgreave the gap in the stone wall and descend to Bradford Dale. Following the steep path upwards to your right, you reach a gate at the top. (You’ll probably see people pushing bikes up here as it’s that steep). But don’t worry it’s short and steep! Don’t go through the gate but instead take the path on your left over the bridge. The cave has wonderful views of below Stanage Edge, but if you think it will offer you shelter you’ll probably be disappointed, I stopped for lunch there on the 9 Edge walks and it was just as cold as sitting on the top! You’ll immediately notice more people from the quiet paths you were previously on. But of course, it’s lovely to say hi to fellow walkers. The Monsal Trail East Buxton Lime Kiln For many years I walked along Stanage Edge and had no clue that this cave existed. Robin Hood’s cave (grid referenceSK 24424 83589) is located about 1 km from the southerly trig point (the one nearest Upper Burbage Bridge), a great place to start your walk if you’re looking to do a short day hike.

Go through another small gate and head downhill to where it joins another path. Turn left here (signposted Swythamley – photo above), after about 50 m there are stone steps over a drystone wall (signposted Concession Path + Hanging Stone). Follow the path, over a second smaller set of stone steps, to reach the Hanging Stone. Hanging Stone Stage 3 – Hanging Stone toDanebridge Oh, there’s also a public toilet here, which is a handy half-way break! The old station at Miller Dale

Map: Ordnance Survey OL24 Walk Map Chee Dale walk map Peak District Where to Start the Chee Dale Walk? Read here: What to take on a day hike? Starting the Chee Dale Walk From Wye Dale Within 5 minutes you’ll be walking under this bridge Whether you’re passionate about cycling and sightseeing, or rambling and riding, you’ll get the most out of your days out in the White Peaks with the OS Explorer OL24 map to guide you. You’ll find every fine detail covered, from rivers to rights of way, as well as a wealth of information you won’t find on other maps.Again, another cave that I didn’t know was there for some time. On the Dovedale walk, there are no signs for Reynard’s Cave (grid referenceSK 14507 52499) so it’s one that you need to know about! The route to this cave is steep and you’ll need decent hiking shoes or boots to safely climb to the top. And they take you around the corner out of sight so if it’s busy on the trail you might need to turn around as I can imagine they aren’t easy to pass other people on. Chee Dale Stepping Stones

Do you enjoy exploring caves in the Peak District? Let me know in the comments any cool ones you’ve found. Other useful information Cave Tours From the Hanging Stone, got down the steps on the right-hand side and along the path to the gate. Continue on the footpath, down to a wooden stile. Turn right here across the cattle grid until you reach another wooden stile on your left (photo below). Wooden stile heading across the field I opted to walk all the way to the old station at Miller Dale. You can even see the old platform and station building. Now it’s home to a small cafe and public toilets so a handy place to stop. There is an option to buy either the standard map or you can buy a waterproof one. If you opt for the standard one, which is cheaper I’d recommend getting a map case as well, I use this one from SealLine, so far it’s not let me down.Ordnance Survey (OS) mapping covers England, Wales and Scotland - not Northern Ireland or the Channel Islands. Isle of Man is 1:50K only.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment