276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Morrisons Marrowfat Peas, 500 g

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Join me in my favourite – the pea mix. Since moving away from Nottingham I’ve discovered that the pea mix is a very localised delicacy that is popular in Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire but practically unheard of through the rest of the country. I feel I need to fly the flag for it Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)added to the peas whilst soaking helps retain colour and, more importantly, it helps to soften their skins, allowing them to absorb the soaking water. It is another vital ingredient. Tinned mushy peas also typically include added sugar, whereas this recipe does not, so these homemade peas are healthier. The mushy peas are ready when they are soft, perhaps with a little texture and bite, but they should certainly not be chewy or hard. If in doubt, cook a little longer

Add the onion, garlic, ground and fresh coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, the beaten egg yolk and season well. Apparently mushy peas can be made in the slow cooker. The marrowfat peas still need to be soaked then drained as instructed in this recipe. After this, they can be placed in a slow cooker, covered with boiling water and left to cook on low for around 5 hours. They will need to be stirred every so often and topped up with a little more water if the pot is getting too dry. Add the salt at the end of cooking to avoid the peas getting tough and stir for 1-2 minutes at the end of cooking to break them down and achieve a good mushy consistency.Step 2: Take off the heat and leave to soak for at least 6 hours, but preferably 12. At the end of the soaking time the water will look yellow and the peas will have swelled Step 1: Put the peas into a saucepan, add the bicarbonate of soda and the water then bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes

Mushy peas cannot be made from fresh or frozen garden peas since they do not break down in the same way that marrowfat peas do. Your peas may take more or less time to cook than the recipe specifies depending how long they have soaked for and how much water your peas have managed to absorb Without any seasoning these peas are incredibly bland. Some people add a little sugar, but I find the balance of salt, pepper and vinegar presented in the recipe card spot on. Feel free to adjust the seasoning to your personal tastes Be aware that if you come across a so-called recipe for mushy peas that uses garden peas what you will actually end up with is crushed peas or pureed peas. The texture and flavour will be entirely different. Being totally honest, I’m not a huge fan of such recipes as I find that, once mashed, the skin on garden peas can be hard to digest (cough cough). You can buy mushy peas in tins, but when catering for more than just 2 people, this is neither a cost-effective, nor a particularly environmentally friendly way to proceed.

More Savoury Recipes

Having said this, I wouldn’t recommend using the slow cooker method for anything less than 8 servings – that’s double the quantity listed in this recipe. What to eat them with Prepare the peas for soaking either first thing in the morning or last thing at night so they have plenty of time to absorb the necessary water before you intend to cook them. Allow to soak for at least 6 hours, but preferably 12 Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the falafels and cook for 10 minutes, turning regularly until they are golden brown all over. This recipe is straightforward but does take some advance planning since the marrowfat peas need to be soaked for a significant length of time. To ensure success keep in mind the following suggestions:

Step 3: Drain the peas and rinse in several changes of cold water to get rid of the bicarbonate of sodaAs previously explained, using fresh or frozen garden peas will not produce real mushy peas, just pea puree or mash. The texture and taste of which bears no resemblance to proper mushy peas at all. It’s not very often that I’m strict when it comes to ingredient substitutions for recipes. But there is no substitute for the dried marrowfat peas in any mushy peas recipe.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment