276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Horrorstor: A Novel

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

At this point, I've read a lot of Hendrix's books and I can say without a doubt that this one is my favorite. For the most part, Horrorstör is an entertaining, awesome, and gruesome read. I thought it was a very unique look at what happens when a retail store closes at night and you’re dealt with scary events and situations. The atmospheric horror was brilliant and the only thing I didn’t like was the ending. Again, no spoilers here but I wanted things wrapped up for a perfect read from beginning to end. It left me wanting more as I wish things were settled, closed up, and one way or the other, complete.

National treasure Grady Hendrix follows his classic account of a haunted IKEA-like furniture showroom, Horrorstor (2014), with a nostalgia-soaked ghost story, My Best Friend’s Exorcism.”— The Wall Street Journal, on My Best Friend’s Exorcism In other words, I enjoyed my B-Movie experience. I chortled, groaned, and felt like I was One with the Corporate Narrative which is One with the batshit crazy Experimental Prison Culture. amy is like many poor souls in retail jobs - complacent and unambitious, going through the motions, struggling with student loans, both resenting and needing the work. In the morning, the automated doors don't want to work, and as the day wears on more and more strange things keep cropping up which leads Basil to think there is someone hiding inside the building at night causing mischief.

Success!

I've asked you here because I need your help. I have an extra job for tonight. A side project. And I need you to keep quiet about it." pg 27, ebook.

The metaphor and connection between Retail and Terrible Nazi-like Prison and beehive was more than perfect.. This book is a must-read for anyone who loves horror and satire. Grady Hendrix does a brilliant job of creating a creepy and hilarious atmosphere in the Orsk store, where nothing is what it seems. The characters are incredibly relatable and witty(especially if you have worked within a commercial sales setting), and the plot is jammed full of twists and turns. Orsk was so big it needed a certain number of people on the premises to keep it under control. Three of them weren’t enough. The store was stirring, restless, growing slowly. Emptied of people, Orsk felt dangerous. Churches are built where saints were martyred. A bridge requires a child in its foundations if it is to hold. All great works must begin with a sacrifice." pg 96, ebook. Mistry, Anupa (October 11, 2014). "Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix: Review". The Star . Retrieved January 29, 2020.And thoroughly enjoyed it! It gave off a Silent Hill vibe in the way that the store and the old prison became one after hours, and was haunted by the old penitents. You know what though I'm just going to show you how unfinished it is. Are you ready? If you want to read the book (hopefully you don't, run far away) stop reading but here we go: But to my American ears the word is the perfect stand in for IKEA – a word clearly selected at random by marketing officials who didn’t think this through.” Things begin innocently enough, though, with this uncomfortable looking couch. Not cozy, but not exactly a torture device…yet. A clever little horror story...[and] a treat for fans of The Evil Deador Zombieland, complete with affordable solutions for better living.”

His plan is to spend the night in the building with a strategic strike team that will be ready to catch these neer-do-wells in the act! But since he doesn't have access to any professionals, he's willing to go in with two of his employees, Amy and Ruth Anne. Neither of them is at all qualified to do anything other than point and scream if they were to run across someone messing up the store in the middle of the night. when you can't say if it's day or night .. the store is time still with all the light and no windows or skylights.This is my second Grady Hendrix book and I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed this blast from my past! I loved how Grady Hendrix turned a 'haunted-house' story on its head and into a dark, creepy, stinky, big-box nightmare. Creative, creepy fun with humorous and twisty chapter introductions about the various Orsk products and their interesting uses. Cline, Rob (February 1, 2015). " 'Horrorstor': Novel is crafted to look like catalog". The Gazette . Retrieved January 29, 2020. I enjoyed all the characters, especially Amy, as she was totally relatable. I’ve met countless people working in retail and have known co-workers dealing with everything she does which made it feel so authentic. I had a lot of empathy with her and this made me connect with her character and why she did the things that she did.

The two women begrudgingly agree and return to the store at the designated hour. Their plan is to patrol the showroom floor, every hour, over the course of the night to see if they can solve the mystery.If you’ve ever been frustrated trying to put together furniture from IKEA, you’ll get a laugh out of Hendrix’s spoof mystery.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment