276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Medusa: A beautiful and profound retelling of Medusa’s story

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hesiod: Medusa’s lineage and her affair with the sea god Poseidon are outlined in the seventh-century BCE epic Theogony. The myth of Perseus’ slaying of Medusa is also described in the Shield of Heracles (220ff). Medusa was said to have once been a lover of Poseidon. According to Ovid, this is what first got her into trouble: when Medusa slept with Poseidon in a temple of Athena, Athena turned her hair into snakes as a punishment. From then on, all who looked upon her were turned to stone. [15] In another version of the myth, Medusa became the enemy of Athena because she claimed that she could rival the goddess in beauty. [16] Perseus If I told you that I'd killed a man with a glance, would you wait to hear the rest? The why, the how, what happened next? This real story of Medusa book shows the fascinating history and mythology surrounding Medusa. It uncovers the origins of the Medusa myth, shedding light on the real story behind the serpent-haired Gorgon, who could turn anyone who looked at her into stone.

People think your beauty is their possession. As if it’s there for their pleasure, as if they’ve got something invested in it. They think you owe them for their admiration. Stunning. The vivid illustrations were very moving. It's a ⭐️3.5 for me only because it was short and didn't leave me with enough of a story. But what it did give me was breath taking. For as long as humans have prayed, water has been a focus of divine adoration. Even the sight of water can spark wonder, terror and joy depending on whether it's a bubbling spring, the destructive... This Medusa romance book tells the story of the beautiful yet cursed Medusa, who has been living in isolation for centuries, protecting herself and others from her deadly gaze. Alexander stumbles upon her hidden lair. So, Medusa’s world is turned upside down.

Leading the way in child health

Books about Medusa explore her transformation from a beautiful woman to a terrifying creature and the reasons behind it. Understanding her story can provide insights into jealousy, betrayal, and the consequences of hubris. 7 Books About Medusa (Myths & Legends) Nonnus: The myth of Medusa, her death, and her monstrous offspring are alluded to throughout the epic poem Dionysiaca (fifth century CE), which relates the travels of the young god Dionysus. Exiled to a far-flung island by the whims of the gods, Medusa has little company except the snakes that adorn her head instead of hair. But when a charmed, beautiful boy called Perseus arrives on the island, her lonely existence is disrupted with the force of a supernova, unleashing desire, love, betrayal . and destiny itself. Pausanias, Description of Greece: A second-century CE travelogue; like Strabo’s Geography, an important source for local myths and customs. we are so glad to see you in our salons. It means a lot to me and the rest of the team. We know there is a lot of competition and we will always try to go the extra mile to make you look and feel fantastic.

So she’s eventually taken to the place. Mila tries to find a way to save Iris and essentially lift the curse from the town. If you want to know what happens next, collect the book and enjoy your nighttime. Virgil: In the epic the Aeneid (19 BCE), Medusa and the Gorgons are included among the monsters living at the outskirts of the Underworld (6.287ff). Medusa’s sisters, who are both immortal, think that the only way to stop a god is to ask another god for help. They ask Athena to help. Athena gives Medusa refuge in her temple, and for a short time it appears that everything is fine. But Poseidon, enraged, leaves the sea and rapes Medusa, destroying Athena’s temple in the process. When Athena finds out what has happened, she blames Medusa for desecrating her temple and sanctuary. Just as enraged as Poseidon, Athena turns each and every strand of Medusa’s beautiful hair into a snake. She then declares, “Woe betide any man fool enough to look upon you”. I do believe that every reader of this book knows what she means, but Medusa is puzzled. Is it a warning? But all myths have to start somewhere. As did Medusa's. She was once a young woman, happy to sail along the shores of her land, fishing and enjoying her freedom along with her sisters. Oblivious to whether or not she was beautiful, until she was “accused” of being just that in the small village where she lived. It ailed her to think of people either adoring or being jealous of her for her beauty, as it seemed this was something that belonged to them, rather than to her. All she wanted was to float above the azure seas. Which is where she unfortunately caught the eye of the sea god Poseidon, who would not take no for an answer.

The Powers of Medusa’s Head

Today, the most well-known image of Medusa’s head belongs perhaps to the logo of the Italian fashion company, Versace. And let’s not forget that Medusa also made headline gaming news in the not so distant past as a tough boss battle for players in the newest game of the popular Assassin’s Creed franchise . These factors remind us that myths of the ancient world are still alive and with us in the modern world. Mila has a brother named Nicholas, and Nicholas is getting old enough to think about getting married. The girl he’s thinking about getting married to is called Iris. Iris and Mila grow very close, and they become like sisters pretty much. Eventually, a day comes, and Iris starts here with the demon inside her head. Other authors believed the Gorgons were an ancient race of wild, hairy women. [27] The antiquarian Diodorus of Sicily claimed that they were wiped out by Heracles when he traveled through Libya. [28] Pop Culture Medusa has been a popular art, literature, and film subject throughout history. Even today, Medusa still is a bit of culture, folktales, and mythology worldwide from being one of the most charismatic creatures. She remains one of the victims and most misunderstood characters in Greek mythology.

A powerfully feminist, elegiac, and original twist on this old story." -Madeline Miller, bestselling author of The Song of Achilles Four years on and exiled in a remote island with little company except her two immortal sisters, dog and the snakes that adorn her head, Medusa is entranced by the arrival of Perseus. A friend that she begins to trust, and with the desire to shed the ‘ache of loneliness’, she opens up to him. A friend or yet another male that is about to deceive her?. At first I didn’t like it was a young adult but there were so many things that reeled me in snd I love the artwork. I leave you with a few pieces and a quote. I’d imagine that if I said the name Medusa to you, the picture that would immediately spring to mind would be of a wild eyed harridan, with snakes madly circling her head. All of our salons are incredibly busy just now, but we’re trying to fit everyone in. If you are no longer able to make a booked appointment, please, please, please cancel online or call us so that someone else can take the slot.I'm starting to think Perseus may have had Two Wives because of the confusion when Perseus met chained up Women about to be sacrificed to some sea creature due to their mother's offending some goddess. When the novel opens Medusa has been living in a cave on a remote island for four years. When Perseus washes up on her island, she helplessly cannot resist talking to him. She makes Perseus stay on the outside of the cave wall while they converse and ultimately get closer to each other. With each day affection grows on both sides, with Perseus declaring that he thinks he loves Medusa, Medusa realizes that she feels the same. The moral point from The Moon Is Down is that some people who work for the Nazi government should be sympathized with as you follow the seven invading lives. You will realize that some of these guys are victims. Also, they miss their girlfriends. They’re not sure they are totally on board with the team they signed up with. Apollonius of Rhodes’ Argonautica 4.828ff; Eustathius on Homer’s Odyssey 12.85; scholia on Apollonius of Rhodes’ Argonautica 4.828; scholia on Plato’s Republic 9, 588c. However, other sources gave Scylla different parents. ↩ With a look that would turn men to stone, Medusa has earned her place in Greek mythology as the ruthless Gorgon, with a head of snakes. However, forget all that because Jessica Burton tells a very human story about Medusa, the young girl who is thrust into an adult world at the tender age of fourteen, as she learns to deal with betrayal and abuse as she write her own story.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment