276°
Posted 20 hours ago

All the Queen's Men (Her Majesty the Queen Investigates, 3)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Her conversations with Philip and her inner thoughts add more humor to the story. The author takes the reader to a world where the Queen reveals her talent. S.J Bennett has plotted the story in real-time and wonderfully revealed a cast of characters highlighted in discreet interviews and a series of English settings. The staff doesn’t know that the Queen is one of the best detectives in the palace. She can see some fine details that no one else can notice. On top of all that, the Queen has seen her personal painting of the royal yacht Britannia, given to her by the artist in 1963, in an exhibit of maritime art in Portsmouth. Prior to Portsmouth, Her Majesty had last seen the painting decades ago, hanging outside her bedroom door, and she has no idea how or when it left her possession.

Book Series In Order S.J. Bennett - Book Series In Order

A Three Dog Problem is certain to be one of my favorite reads this year. I highly recommend it to all mystery/crime readers, with a special encouragement to those who are enjoying the Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osmand. Furthermore, the royal family entertains nearly a hundred thousand people each year, and every event is a major undertaking. For a banquet honoring the president of Colombia, for example, the dinner tables sport golden dessert stands and branching candelabras from the Grand Service, flowers from Colombia and Great Britain, and place settings that are measured with a ruler, to make sure the knives and forks are the correct distance from the edge of the table. Moreover the Queen wears the Victorian Suite diamonds and sapphires with matching tiara, to spread a little extra dazzle. I am so pleased that this second book is continuing the success of the first. After an auspicious beginning to a series, the fate of that series is in a precarious position with the publication of book two. The series has that delightful wit that infuses just the right kind of humor and entertainment. And, I have to retract or clarify part of my statement made in the beginning of the review, as I indicated that this book and this series was pure pleasure reading for me and not one of imparting important messages. That is misleading. Although the book was a pleasure read for me, there is lots of learning to be had here and beyond. From the Royal operations and Royal offices of the Palace to the Queen’s daily schedules to the Baroque art of Artemisia Geniteschi, an Italian 17th century painter. And, if you’re like myself and many other readers I know, you will go down all the rabbit holes of those subjects, some of which I’ve provided links below. Also, the poison pen notes bring up racism and misogyny, as does the choice of the artist Artemisia Geniteschi whose paintings are featured. And, as the Queen is the main character, there is the overriding issue of how older or “old” people are dismissed in their contributions to or understandings of situations. The Queen certainly puts the falsehood of old meaning useless to rest. The Windsor Knot is the debut in the Her Majesty the Queen Investigates series. Queen Elizabeth II is preparing to celebrate her 90th birthday and is looking forward to all the festivities. After hosting a dine and sleep party at Windsor Castle during spring, she wakes to the news that a guest was found dead. I’m here to trace a painting,” she explained. “One of Her Majesty’s. We know where it is, but not how it got there. It went missing a while ago.” “Stop!” Hudson raised his hand. “Stop right there. I can assure you it didn’t. We don’t lose things in the Royal Collection.” “I think you do,” Rozie said firmly, meeting his eye. “Sometimes.” “Very occasionally. Hardly ever. I resent the implication that we did.”"I loved the humorous elements in the book such as Prince Philip’s petname for his wife being Cabbage, the idea of the Queen googling herself on her iPad to find out where she was on a particular date, and that she spent some of her time at Balmoral binge-watching Murder She Wrote. I read this book completely for pleasure, and that is such a lovely way to experience a book. Not that I’m adverse to books that impart important messages. I just sometimes need a read that entertains me and that’s it. A Three Dog Problem (All the Queen’s Men in the U.S.) is the essence of an entertaining read. Oh, there’s crime and murder and evil going on, but we know that the Queen, in her calm and methodical manner, will get to the bottom of it with her discreet, capable Assistant Private Secretary Rozie Oshodi. There’s lots of drama, and the twists and turns are more complex than in The Windsor Knott, but I found the multiple threads in A Three Dog Problem easy to follow and well brought together by the end. There are quite a few names to keep up with, but I didn’t find it disrupting to my reading. And, knowing that a case will be solved in no way takes away from the thrill of events leading up to that solution. The novel opens up in the fall of 2016 when Queen Elizabeth has a lot in mind. The United States is conducting presidential elections; Philip is almost retiring from public service, while Great Britain has just voted for Brexit. This novel is primarily written from the perspectives of the Queen of England and Rozie Oshodi. Her Majesty needs no introduction. Oshodi is new to the Royal Staff. She joined as the Queen’s assistant private secretary a few months previous, after a short career in the army and then at a private bank. “She was still relatively young for the role, but so far had performed admirably, including—and perhaps especially—in the more unconventional aspects of it."

Goodreads A Three Dog Problem by S.J. Bennett | Goodreads

During her inquiries, Rozie ventures into an underground tunnel system that connects royal palaces and learns of a 1980s scheme called the Breakages Business, which was carried out by some members of the Queen's staff.

Something is broken in the palace and it’s up to the Queen and her private secretary, Rozie Oshodi to fix it. Bennett had won several awards for some of her teenage books before she began writing adult crime novels. She also teaches and podcasts on writing. Het mysterie zit sterk in elkaar en terwijl je gedurende het boek ook nog wat leert over het beheer van de koninklijke kunstcollectie en de verschillende afdelingen binnen het paleis, moet je goed blijven opletten om alle uitgezette lijntjes te kunnen volgen, totdat ze mooi bij elkaar komen. Hoewel het tempo soms wat inzakt en het eerste boek iets meer humor bevatte, zijn er genoeg wendingen, persoonlijke noten en mysterieuze gebeurtenissen om het verhaal interessant te houden en dit is erg vermakelijke, goed uitgewerkte cosy crime. Een aanrader binnen dit genre! S.J Bennett is a crime, mystery and comedy author born in Yorkshire, England. Being an army child, she grew up going all around the world. She published her debut novel at 42 after long procrastination. Once again, the Queen involves Rozie in her investigative process, much to Rozie's delight. She genuinely likes her Boss and is even willing to help arrange things so that, once again, the senior men in the household are convinced that they figured it all out. That takes a generosity that I don't think I have, to let someone else take credit for your ideas and footwork.

Books — SJ Bennett Books — SJ Bennett

She is expecting Rozie Oshodi, her assistant Private Secretary to keep an eye on the activities in the palace and help solve any issue that may come up. Rozie is loyal to the Queen and doesn’t want to disappoint her. The Queen has asked her to find out how the artwork ended up in the possession of the Royal Navy. It is the Queen who presses the investigation and senses that something more fundamental may be amiss.All kinds of deceptions happened at Windsor Castle on the dinner night, including people conducting secret meetings and sexual liaisons. As the mystery unveils, Brodsky’s death is linked to two other people in England. It’s now up to the Queen to put all the pieces together and try to solve the crime. She goes through all the palace records while consulting with the past and present royal art curators, questions the palace staff; she even calls a Royal Navy admiral but finds it difficult tracing the Britannia painting

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment