276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tiddler

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Rhyming Rabbit loves to make up entertaining poems, inspired by everything he sees, but the other rabbits don't appreciate his talent for rhyme. Sad and lonely, the Rhyming Rabbit sets off one starry night all on his own - will he ever find someone to share his poems with? This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. Please help by adding reliable sources. Contentious material about living people that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately. This edition features the classic story with a stunning, redesigned cover and beautiful finish, making it a must-have addition to the bookshelves of all Donaldson and Scheffler fans – big and small! As the centuries sweep by, children play games around the tree. Families dance about it. A fleeing king even hides inside its hollow trunk! Elizabeth worked as a part-time secretary and helped her boss, Leslie Minchin, translate German lieder into English. It was a household of music and song: Elizabeth sang with the Hampstead Choral Society, Jerry played the cello in amateur string quartets, and both parents were active members of the Hampstead Music Club. Summer holidays were at Grittleton House in Wiltshire, where Jerry played his cello in a summer school for chamber music, while Julia and Mary romped around and put on musical shows with the other children.

Tiddler | BookTrust Tiddler | BookTrust

One of my television songs, A SQUASH AND A SQUEEZE, was made into a book in 1993, with illustrations by the wonderful Axel Scheffler. It was great to hold the book in my hand without it vanishing in the air the way the songs did. This prompted me to unearth some plays I’d written for a school reading group, and since then I’ve had 20 plays published. Most children love acting and it’s a tremendous way to improve their reading. After a thousand years, the ancient tree finally falls in a storm - but a new acorn sprouts, and the cycle of life begins all over again.Tiddler's tall tales were so legendary that other fish told them at home to their grandmas and they pass it on to others. But it makes no difference, Tiddler is still late each day; on the second day of the week, he says he was swimming with a mermaid and captured by a squid. And once again the cry goes up 'TIDDLER'S LATE'. Brings such joy to children and adults alike. The show was so captivating that no one wanted to miss a moment' The Spy in the Stalls a b Franklin-Wallis, Oliver (17 December 2020). "How Julia Donaldson conquered the world". The Guardian . Retrieved 28 December 2020. I love that this is an animal story but this time underwater. It’s nice seeing different water animals. The illustrations here are again fun to look at but this time I noticed that some of them look human like, which I personally find a bit weird to look at. Not sure If it’s intended to be like that or not.

Tiddler - Julia Donaldson Primary Resources - Twinkl Tiddler - Julia Donaldson Primary Resources - Twinkl

Me, you and the old guitar. How perfectly, perfectly happy we are. MEEE-EW and the old guitar. How PURRRR-fectly happy we are!" Tabby McTat is purr-fectly happy, singing along all day with Fred the busker. But when Fred gives chase to a thief, the two are separated. Will they ever find each other again? In 1995, while looking for ideas for an educational series of plays based on traditional tales, Donaldson came across a version of a Chinese story about a little girl who escapes being eaten by a tiger by claiming to be the fearsome Queen of the Jungle and inviting him to walk behind her. The tiger misinterprets the terror of the various animals they meet as being related to her rather than him, and flees. Donaldson sensed that this story could be developed into more than an educational item and returned to it later as a possible basis for a picture book. She decided to make the girl a mouse, and chose a fox, owl and snake as woodland rather than jungle creatures but wasn't satisfied with lines like "They ought to know, they really should / There aren't any tigers in this wood".

More in Books

Princess Pearl, Sir Gadabout and their trusty 'air ambulance', Zog the dragon fly around tending a sunburnt mermaid, a distressed unicorn and a sneezy lion. Before Malcolm and I had our three sons we used to go busking together and I would write special songs for each country; the best one was in Italian about pasta. Lots of Julia Donaldson books feature animal characters - from whales to ladybirds, from monkeys to mice! We have this book at home, and my mum read it to me so many times when I was little. I like the rhymes and the pictures. Tiddler is a great character because he makes up silly stories that sometimes get him into trouble. - William, age 5 Tiddler: The Story-Telling Fish (2008) – by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler. This is another great story form the accomplished team that is Donaldson/Scheffler – as per usual it is a great story by Donaldson, well written with the usual rhymes that engage the reader as well as driving and maintaining the momentum of the narrative – and as per usual, it is accompanied and greatly enhanced by the imaginative and vivid illustrations from the pen of Scheffler.

Julia Donaldson Books | The Works Julia Donaldson Books | The Works

Tiddler is one of those special stories that seem to capture children’s attention immediately and keep it for the duration, while making them laugh a great deal throughout. Tiddler, the star of the book, is a little fish with a penchant for telling wild stories, usually involving some feat of heroism on his part. When Tiddler finds himself in very apparent danger, however, the reality seems much less enjoyable than the fiction. A great book with rhythmic text and the illustrations are all in detail which makes it lovely to read to the children. Rix, Juliet (28 February 2009). "Living without Hamish: how a family copes with suicide". The Guardian. A thousand years ago, a tiny acorn fell to the ground. As the years pass, it grows... and GROWS into an enormous oak tree!Walsh, John (3 October 2015). "Julia Donaldson interview: The Gruffalo author on how Judi Dench and busking helped her career". The Independent . Retrieved 12 April 2020. Sharing a Shell is a charming underwater tale of friendship and fun from the stellar picture book partnership of Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks, creators of What the Ladybird Heard. With brilliant rhythmic verse, bright and distinctive illustrations, this is a firm favourite with children and parents alike. Tiddler tells the story of a very cheeky fish who is always late for school and who loves to make up stories… “Oh, no he didn’t!” “Oh yes he did!” An hour-long feast of storytelling that thrills children and parents alike. A MASTERPIECE.’ Broadway Baby

Tiddler - Julia Donaldson

There's a touch of Finding Nemo meets The Boy Who Cried Wolf as young Tiddler is always late for school. Donaldson studied Drama and French at Bristol University (1967–1970), graduating with a 2:1 honours degree. During her time there she acted in departmental productions and learnt the guitar. In 1968, she and her friend Maureen Purkis took part in the play I am not the Eiffel Tower with music composed by Colin Sell, an accomplished young pianist who was studying Spanish and Portuguese at Bristol and who has gone on to appear in BBC Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue. Sell's roommate Malcolm Donaldson, a medical student who played left-handed guitar and was a keen amateur actor, came to see the show and subsequently teamed up with Sell, Donaldson and Purkis to sing in the pubs during Bristol University Rag Week in early 1969. Almost immediately after this Donaldson and Purkis were seconded to live in Paris for six months as part of their degree course where they sang and played their guitars to café audiences for money. Malcolm joined them in the summer and the trio performed various songs by the Beatles and from musicals including Hair. Join everyone's favourite ladybird in this fantastically funny farmyard caper from the stellar picture book partnership of Julia Donaldson and Lydia Monks, creators of What the Ladybird Heard. Tiddler is a fish with a huge imagination who blows small bubbles but tells tall tales. And his excuses for being late for school are amazing as he tells a different story every day. For example on the first day he says he was riding on a seahorse, flying with a ray and diving with a dolphin. But the long and short of it is that when Miss Skate calls the register, Johnny Dory is there, Rabbitfish is there and Redfin is there but there is no Tiddler. And so the cry goes up in class, 'TIDDLER'S LATE'.

In 1983 the family of four moved to Bristol where Malcolm Donaldson was appointed as Senior Registrar in Paediatrics to United Bristol Hospitals. By then the television writing had dried up and the folk scene had waned. Julia Donaldson wrote and sang a few topical songs for adult radio programmes (including one about the Guinness Distillers take-over bid, which appeared on Financial World Tonight), did occasional amateur acting and street theatre, and wrote the songs for the Kingsdown community play Nine Trees Shade. She also became a volunteer in Hamish's primary school, hearing the children read aloud. She devised short plays with the right number of parts for a reading group, rotating the roles until each child had read the whole play. The piece would then be performed to the entire class. This approach seemed to build confidence in reading aloud as well as being enjoyable, and Donaldson stored the plays in a drawer for possible future use.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment