276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Galatea: The instant Sunday Times bestseller

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And maybe i am just a little disappointed because Galatea has become a bit of a comfort story for me in the sense that if i have no idea what to read but i want to read something... i go to that story and it just works for me. There is also an interesting, albeit brief, element that while the choice over reproductive rights and agency is a hotly debated political topic and women are often shamed and ostracized for making difficult choices, there is no social stigma against men who do not want to have children. Despite the growing number of authors trying to replicate her success at reimagining Greek mythology, I find Miller’s gloriously powerful retellings of classic myths to be totally unique. Brown, Francesca (March 1, 2022). "March 2022's best new books, including memoirs, thrillers, essays, poetry and more". Stylist . Retrieved March 13, 2022.

As soon as the nurse leaves her, Galatea escapes and runs towards the town. At her house, she sees Paphos asleep and doesn’t want to frighten her. So she finds a pot of sand, spills a little on the floor, and spells out Paphos.

Galatea was quite an interesting concept and with a reimagining and retelling of the Greek Myth Pygmalion, it was sure to entice fans of Madelaine Miller. It was this premise and loving Miller’s previous works, Song of Achilles and Circe, that brought me to this short story. a b c Alter, Alexandra (February 24, 2012). "Rewriting the Story of Achilles". The Wall Street Journal . Retrieved May 30, 2012. Reading Galatea has made me even more excited to find out more about Persephone (here’s what we know about Madeline Miller’s next book). Is Galatea worth reading?

Miller, Madeline (March 11, 2022). "Reading Ayn Rand was like being dipped in slime". The Guardian . Retrieved March 11, 2022. Emerson, David (June 5, 2019). "The Mythopoeic Society: 2019 Mythopoeic Awards finalists announced". Mythopoeic Society . Retrieved June 7, 2021. She later studied for a year at the University of Chicago's Committee on Social Thought working towards a PhD and from 2009 to 2010 at the Yale School of Drama for an MFA in Dramaturgy and Dramatic Criticism. [6] Wiener, James Blake. "Interview: Circe by Madeline Miller". World History Encyclopedia . Retrieved June 17, 2023.I’m always impressed by the writing of Madeline Miller. Her first book The Song of Achilles was a powerful and imaginative retelling of The Iliad. Her second novel Circe, however, was at a completely different level: it was simply fantastic in every way. Miller, Madeline (August 9, 2023). "Opinion | Long covid has derailed my life. Make no mistake: It could yours, too". Washington Post . Retrieved August 10, 2023. It’s a story that is sadly still all too relatable for many women, but, as Miller explains in the afterword, “that is the mark of a good source myth; it is water so wide it can reach across centuries.” Everyone looked at me, because I was the most beautiful woman in the town. I don’t say this to boast, because there is nothing in it to boast of. It was nothing I did myself.” Madeline Miller, Galatea She then breaks into her husband’s studio and sees the new statue of the girl in the centre of the room, then goes to her husband’s bedroom. “Ah, my beauty is asleep”, she says, just as he would say to her before joining her in bed. Then, she runs out the house and he rushes after her.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment