276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hayao Miyazaki

£22£44.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

McCall, Kevin (August 14, 2023). "First 'The Boy and The Heron' Images Set Up New Studio Ghibli Masterpiece". Collider . Retrieved October 16, 2023.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: The Complete Series Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: The Complete Series

Hayao Miyazaki's The Boy and the Heron Film Reveals English Dub Cast". Anime News Network. October 18, 2023 . Retrieved October 18, 2023. Strusiewicz, Cezary Jan (July 17, 2023). "Hayao Miyazaki's How Do You Live? is a gloriously demented farewell". Polygon. Archived from the original on July 18, 2023 . Retrieved July 19, 2023. To be clear, this isn't a perfect story. When I say it's sprawling, I mean that literally. It just sort of flows outward from its beginning. It starts strong and ends strong, but there's a whole lot of sprawl in the middle that felt a bit unnecessary. The art is gorgeous as you would expect from something hand-drawn by Miyazaki, but the storytelling isn't great. It's frequently muddled. If that sounds like blasphemy, keep in mind that even Miyazaki himself says it wasn't very good at manga storytelling (and if you doubt me, just read the afterward to this book!). Every bookworm preaches the same words: "If you liked the movie(s), you'll really like the book(s)". Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, however, takes this old adagio to an entirely new level. The movie captures but a sweet breeze of what this hurricane of a story really is. Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind" is one of my favorite movies ever. So it is with great humility that I say that I like the manga 20 times better than the movie. It's the most beautiful story I've ever read. I actually got goosebumps reading some parts. I would definitely put it in my list of top five favorite novels.But it didn’t make for a pleasant read for me. There was too much details in places and too much analyzing of a man’s life. Of someone who is still alive. It made me uncomfortable. There is also the underlying feeling of the situations depicted in this book that I might not like Miyazaki as a person. And I don’t think I’d like to take that way from this book. I’d rather watch his movies and not think about his person, instead appreciate his art and creativity.

Hayao Miyazaki - Character Design References The Art of Hayao Miyazaki - Character Design References

Vlessing, Etan (July 27, 2023). "Hayao Miyazaki's 'The Boy and the Heron' to Open Toronto Film Festival Amid Strikes". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on July 27, 2023 . Retrieved July 27, 2023. Schley, Matt (July 14, 2023). "How Do You Live: Hayao Miyazaki releases mystery final film". BBC News. Archived from the original on July 14, 2023 . Retrieved July 14, 2023. I had not seen a single Miyasaki film before 2021. Now I've seen all of them. What can I say other than I'm thrilled I finally listened to the person who hounded me for the better part of a decade to watch them. They are delightful pieces of art and I was thoroughly entranced.Loo, Egan (December 17, 2019). "Hayao Miyazaki's Next Film Is 15% Complete After 3.5 Years". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on December 18, 2019 . Retrieved January 2, 2020. As Miyazaki began pre-production on the film version of “Nausicaä” in 1983—though he would not complete the story to his own satisfaction until he finished the manga eleven years later—he was also wrapping up work on a watercolor manga called “ Shuna’s Journey,” about another child growing up in a deteriorating world. Like “Ponyo,” the book, published this week in its first English translation, by Alex Dudok de Wit, is an adaptation of a much older story. It is a reworking of a Tibetan folktale, “The Prince Who Turned Into a Dog,” about a prince who finds a magic grain to feed his starving people. The tale is commonly thought to be a metaphor for the momentous introduction of barley, which can survive the region’s biting cold, to the Tibetan plateau.

Hayao Miyazaki’s Beautiful, Broken Worlds | The New Yorker Hayao Miyazaki’s Beautiful, Broken Worlds | The New Yorker

Girls & Panzer das Finale Film Opens at #4". Anime News Network. October 16, 2023 . Retrieved October 16, 2023. An all-watercolor manga based on the memoirs of Otto Carius, a German tank commander. It was serialized in Model Graphix, under a new series name Mousou Nouto (Fantasy Notes). Hayao Miyazaki's The Boy and the Heron Film Earns Over 8.16 Billion Yen". Anime News Network. September 20, 2023. Archived from the original on September 22, 2023 . Retrieved September 20, 2023. The Boy and the Heron has autobiographical features. The protagonist, Mahito Maki, is modeled after Miyazaki's childhood. Miyazaki's father, similar to Mahito's, was employed by a company involved in the manufacturing of fighter plane components. Additionally, Miyazaki's family had to evacuate from the city to the countryside during the war. [3] [a] The hospital fire at the beginning of the film evokes personal parallels with Miyazaki's own loss of his mother, [5] who was known for her strong opinions and is believed to have been a source of inspiration for several of the director's female characters, and Mahito's emotional connection with his mother parallels Miyazaki's deep affection for his mother. [6] The BBC defined the film as "a coming-of-age tale in which a child must overcome his selfishness and learn to live for others." [7]Fuge, Jonathan (October 3, 2023). "The Boy and the Heron Trailer & Posters Tease Studio Ghibli's Acclaimed Fantasy Film". MovieWeb . Retrieved October 16, 2023.

Miyazakiworld: A Life in Art by Susan J. Napier | Goodreads

A richly illustrated journey through the extraordinary cinematic worlds of beloved filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki

See, I was expecting this to be more of a biography. It does have those elements and I did learn more about Miyazaki's life, but I was hoping for something more specifically about the man behind the movies, rather than just getting film criticism. The biographical elements are scattered here and there and, honestly, you don't learn much that you probably couldn't learn from reading his Wikipedia. For example, we don't get any more insight into his tumultuous relationship with his son. KAI-YOU.net (in Japanese). August 7, 2023. Archived from the original on August 7, 2023 . Retrieved September 12, 2023. The Boy and the Heron Surpasses Tales From Earthsea as #20 All-Time Anime Film in Japan". Anime News Network. September 12, 2023. Archived from the original on September 14, 2023 . Retrieved September 12, 2023.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment