276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Comfort and Joy: Irresistible pleasures from a vegetarian kitchen

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It's well-proven that a diet centering fruits, vegetables, beans, grains, and nuts is healthier for us and our planet, but talks of decreasing global meat and dairy intake have for too long been tied to narratives of culinary sacrifice. Ravinder Bhogal, award-winning chef and self-described “half-woman, half-hummus,” knows better. In Comfort and Joy, she radically reclaims vegan and vegetarian cooking in all its abundance, with decadent, craveable recipes that bring together crisp okra fries with curry leaf mayonnaise, earthy roasted beet salad with blood orange and creamy burrata, whipped feta with tomatoes confit, and so much more.

I love Christina's approach to this book. You can hear her voice in her writing, inviting you to try her recipes. It's as if a friend is talking you through the steps to create every day comfort foods in your own little kitchen. You can find all sorts of recipes from breakfast to dinner and even more small batch desserts.The recipes are amazing and simple, the photos are gorgeous. You know I love my veggies, so plants are always centre stage throughout the book! Of the over 100 recipes in Feel Good, approximately 40% of are completely plant-based, 40% are vegetarian and 20% contain meat or fish with suggestions as to how to swap to make them veggie. It's well-proven that a diet centering fruits, vegetables, beans, grains, and nuts is healthier for us and our planet, but talks of decreasing global meat and dairy intake have for too long been tied to narratives of culinary sacrifice. Ravinder Bhogal, award-winning chef and self-described “half-woman, half-hummus,” knows better. In Comfort and Joy , she radically reclaims vegan and vegetarian cooking in all its abundance, with decadent, craveable recipes that bring together crisp okra fries with curry leaf mayonnaise, earthy roasted beet salad with blood orange and creamy burrata, whipped feta with tomatoes confit, and so much more.

About the contributors

Born in Kenya, to Indian parents, Ravinder Bhogal's food is inspired by her mixed heritage and the UK's diverse immigrant culture. Ravinder is a journalist, chef and restaurateur. Her debut restaurant, Jikoni, was ranked 56th in the UK by the National Restaurant Awards within 7 months of opening and achieved a coveted place in the Michelin Guide in the same year. I feel like I've been waiting forever for this cookbook to come out. I've been following Christina on her blog for years and love her recipes. They're easy to make and simple to follow. When her first book, Dessert for Two, came out, I was amazed at all the small batch desserts she created. After all, as much as I love desserts, there's only so much I can eat. So I was super excited when I saw this book: Comfort and Joy. At a corner table in Jikoni – where ingredients are British and inspiration global, and where one has to make impossible decisions between dishes such as whipped feta with beetroot Gujarati cake, butternut squash pakoras and crispy aubergine with Sichuan caramel – Bhogal is brimming with enthusiasm for her latest project. This month, she publishes a plant-based cookbook, full of recipes so imaginative and luscious that (and I say this as an omnivore) you’d never know they didn’t contain meat.

Comfort and Joy is a fresh take on vegetarian and vegan cooking; not geared towards health or denial but indulging all the senses with a decadent global larder.

This book is equal parts mouth watering, heart warming and identity forming. A tender and soft love letter to her family, that spans three continents. Connecting us with our ancestors, the soil, our roots. Celebrating what South Asians have known for centuries, that vegetables are an entire meal. Just like Ravinder this book is generous, open hearted, Beautiful, sexy as hell and DELICIOUS. I want to eat it all' * Anita Rani * Ravinder is one of the best food writers in Britain today, and interwoven throughout these recipes are stories of a life led by the feel-good, life-enhancing power of vegetarian food.

From the IACP award-winning author of Jikoni, a cookbook celebrating indulgence in vegetarian and vegan home cooking. A revelation-you will never look at "the vegetarian option” in the same way after diving into her inventive, bewitching and mouth watering book ' - Meera Syal

From the book: Feel Good: Quick and Easy Recipes for Comfort and Joy

A gorgeous and enticing marriage of styles and flavours that is uniquely Ravinder's' - Claudia Roden

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment