276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Bookseller at the End of the World

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And it was as part of this business that Ruth began her first bookshop, selling titles associated with the region and conservation.

The Bookseller - Previews - How to Get Over the End of the World The Bookseller - Previews - How to Get Over the End of the World

And now, here we are with a cabin somewhere off at the end of the world or whatever. The plot seemed really interesting, and I think it could have been executed much better in more capable hands. However, Tremblay took a great idea and just... just didn’t really do much with it. Through turbulent times, when she had no money to keep herself fed, through times of being scared and alone and at the mercy of the ocean or a dodgy man, Ruth's belief in herself, her ability to adapt and fit in has been the secret of her interesting and varied life. Going from crisis to crisis and with bunches of happy times in between. There are moments of enormous sadness in this story, but good humour and kindness shine through. There is one scene in this book where I will admit that I cursed you Mr. Tremblay .... HOW COULD YOU DO THAT? *Weeps*Rated 9/10 This was almost a 10 for me. Why? Ruth is a NZ author who writes frankly about her life growing up in NZ, the struggles she faced, physically and mentally, interlaced with anecdotes relating to a few of the folk she meets at her Bookshop at the End of the World. A bittersweet tale and one can only wonder what she didn't write about in her life. She travelled (perhaps to escape), and met, worked and lived in an array of places with an array of folks both good and bad.

The Bookseller at the End of the World by Ruth Shaw - Waterstones

The novel is engaging and I found myself caring about the characters and their fates. The plot moved at a moderate pace and the author did a great job slowly building suspense.Seven year old Wen is living her life, catching grasshoppers outside the vacation cabin she's staying in with her dad Eric and her dad Andrew. Suddenly a stranger approaches. He is the biggest man Wen has ever seen. But he’s young and friendly. He tells Wen his name is Leonard, they play together and Leonard helps Wen catch grasshoppers. Time passes and Wen looks up and notices three more strangers approaching. Carrying what look like weapons. Leonard abruptly turns to Wen, apologizes and tells her “None of what’s about to happen is your fault” “Your dad‘s won’t want to let us in, Wen. But they have to. We need your help to save the world”. I loved the format and really enjoyed how my mind was screaming, NOOOOOOOOOOOO, pretty much the entire time.

What Does the Bible Say About the End of the World? What Does the Bible Say About the End of the World?

Lance was willing to convert to Catholicism to marry Ruth, but baulked at the requirement they must bring up their children as Catholics. To his mind, their children should be free to choose for themselves, and it was a step too far. I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and William Morrow books in exchange for an honest review. The story begins with seven year old Wen out in front of the cabin that she is staying in with her two dads, Eric and Andrew, just doing what kids should do playing outdoors and trying to catch some grasshoppers. What a lovely scene, right? Well it doesn’t last long because along comes a stranger named Leonard who begins to chat with young Wen and then before you know it he’s joined by three others with weapons.Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote cabin on a quiet New Hampshire lake. Their closest neighbors are more than two miles in either direction along a rutted dirt road.

The Bookseller - Features - The end of the world as we know it? The Bookseller - Features - The end of the world as we know it?

I would have given this book 5 stars had it not been for the ending. That is not to say that the ending is bad or goes off the rails, I just wanted more. I felt as if I was left hanging -but then again, I feel as if that is how the characters in the book felt. They were faced with uncertainty, so the reader was left with the same emotion. After a year cooking for the Catholic Archbishop in Wellington, Ruth Shaw stepped over the horizon, seeking comfort for the loss of her son, and disappearance of her fiancé, in the salt spray and adventure of the ocean. On the plus side, it was refreshing that the main family unit was made up of two dads and their adopted child, Wen. Maybe it's just the books I've been reading recently, but I don't often come across gay couples with children in my fiction and I really did appreciate that! Representation is important. It's just a shame I didn't give a flying toot about the actual characters... There was a huge scene that I know was meant to be really emotional and I didn't even bat an eyelid. And I'm a crier!! Oh, and some of the violence scenes were pretty brutal... which was good. But that's all I got! Underlining all her wanderings and adventures are some very deep losses and long-held pain. Balancing that out is her beautiful love story with Lance, and her delightful sense of humor. However, after the Millennial, no more babies will be born, and nobody will die. After the Millennial Kingdom ends, there will be the Great White Throne Judgment, in which all unbelievers will be thrown into the lake of fire for eternity ( Revelation 20:11-15).On a day when rain had turned the Brisbane cemetery to a swamp, she knelt and pulled his cross with its small brass plaque, from the ground, clutching it close as she walked away.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment