276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Leviathan: A beguiling tale of superstition, myth and murder from a major new voice in historical fiction

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What I think about neurodiversity is that it shines a spotlight on everybody’s neurodiversity, and some people just have some characteristics that put them within the autism bracket. I love how that book moves between violence and tenderness and how she modulates between a real world and a magical world so effortlessly. If you are fan of stories of witchcraft, mythical creatures and mystery, The Leviathan is a book which you have to add to your reading list. The novel's historical context puts it right in the middle of one of the most chaotic periods of England's history. She thinks she’s of more value because she’s younger and can have children; these systems she’s screaming about have got her own behaviour trapped as well.

The Leviathan, The instant Sunday Times bestseller by Rosie The Leviathan, The instant Sunday Times bestseller by Rosie

An American in London, Bonnie Garmus had an itinerant childhood as the daughter of an entomologist whose work took the family to places including Colombia, the Everglades and, for just one week before war broke out, Pakistan. There are also, two wonderful central female characters – and many twists and surprises within this wonderful story which feel all of a piece, not contrived. With the actual construction of the sentences, I almost don’t feel like I’m writing at all – I feel like I’m a body and my hands are moving over the keyboard.There is a richness of language and description within this novel which retains its natural conversation throughout, completely hooking you into Thomas' narrative.

Introducing our 10 best debut novelists of 2022 | Fiction

Brilliantly plotted and blessed with a colorful and unforgettable cast of characters, this marvellous fictional tapestry will grab you from its first chapter and take you on a terrific journey through the very tumultuous waters of mid 17th English chaos. With a small cast of complex and intricately drawn characters, Rosie Andrews expertly drew me into their compelling story and made me desperate to keep reading as the novel grew increasingly pacey. But as he begins to unravels the mystery of what has happened to his family, he uncovers a tale, not of witchcraft, but of something dark and ancient, linked to a shipwreck many years before. Set among a richly drawn cast in a Jamaican-Somali community in Bristol, it follows the turbulent, often painful childhood and teens of Sayon, a drug dealer trying to keep his crimes secret from the pastor’s daughter he’s in love with.

As he begins to delve into resolving the ensuing madness there emerges an even darker side to the tale with the shadow of a hidden sea creature affecting them all. This book starts off with witchcraft and quickly develops into a much bigger story, with deception, poverty, love, hate and bigotry all being woven in. One thing I’ve always found surprising is the complexity of the legal instruments of the time, particularly around witchcraft accusations.

Andrews-Rosie | RCW Literary Agency Andrews-Rosie | RCW Literary Agency

Andrews absolutely nails comparisons of excellence, and, like both those books, carves out her own unique territory. With civil war tearing England apart, reluctant soldier Thomas Treadwater is summoned home by his sister, who accuses a new servant of improper conduct with their widowed father. I was sceptical near the beginning of the novel, of a few choices made regarding characters, and yet, by the mid-to-end point of the novel, not only were each of these choices justified in a meaningful way, but I felt not a single aspect or minor detail was missed as narrative timelines rejoined. Thank you Netgalley and Bloomsbury Publishing for giving me the opportunity to give my unbiased opinion. Her writing draws on grief, but Lloyd Banwo’s literary gift lies in her capacity to transfigure that emotion – to conjure a cosmic landscape where the living coexist among the dead.Tom does not believe in witchcraft, but when the two servants accused along with Chrissa are found dead in the next cell, he is forced to accept that sinister forces may be at work. The twists and turns (which are masterfully constructed) step neatly from the narrative, and as soon as you realise that the typical witchfinder story is to be turned on its head you know you’re in a for a stunning ride!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment