276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Code Words: 100 of the best Code Words Puzzles: Volume 1

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It's usually possible to pinpoint the QU from such a list, by looking at numbers that appear just once or at most twice. Many players find this game to be a relaxing alternative to the frustrations of obscure crossword clues.

Compilers will also shun long words (ie, longer than ten letters) because if a solver is able to identify a long word, the number of letters that will be revealed will effectively destroy the puzzle. But the words themselves are not sourced from English alone, as you can see when you look some of them up in the horrid dictionary. They will avoid plurals and, where possible, common suffixes such as ing, ed, en, est, able, ist, ness.

A number of letters have been decoded to help with the identification of other letters and words in the grid. I've done scores, possibly hundreds of codewords, and using the above tricks only had to look up the answer (where supplied) on a single occasion.

I also have to watch out with this particular model as it omits lots of standard endings, such as plurals, and its dictionary is not that large, and it uses -ize endings which are unhelpful when solving British codewords.That is occasionally possible by simple inspection, with one or generally no more Qs, with their following U. I very good feature is the automatic movement of the active square, particularly for the final letter which is often tricky to locate. The latter is interesting because we already have half the letters, and because when we have a vowel and a consonant with only one letter between them it's often quite restrictive. Codewords Pro is an app to play Codewords (also known as Codebreaker), a popular word game similar to crosswords. Phrases, hyphenated words and foreign words that are not yet fully accepted in English are all avoided, as are proper nouns.

In any case, I understand that developers have to make a living, but would be nice to know more about available options. A daily Codeword puzzle is just the distraction you need when you are trying to reset your brain for a new task. All the letters A-Z are present in the early puzzles, with one number for each letter (later puzzles don't necessarily have all 26 letters in the grid). Once you've inserted all of the starting letters, I normally see if any of the words (or certain sub-strings of them) pop out to me. Fascinating stuff, all of it, but largely irrelevant, and annoying when you know you will never find the word in any other context.

I occasionally can use this for codewords as well, particularly if there are multiple starting letters in a single long word, which narrows down its output considerably. If you're doing it online, you can put those guesses in and easily undo them if they turn out to be bad guesses. Great spelling and vocabulary practice, but it may be difficult for those without a strong grasp of English due to the lack of context. The puzzles are very absorbing and irresistibly pleasant almost to a point of becoming an addiction. How well any of these techniques work for you will depend on how good your vocabulary is and how good your brain is at answering questions like "are there any words matching these letters?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment