276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Disney's Lilo and Stitch

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I used plant-fibre paper for this small Hemp Leaf notebook; whilst I love its colour and texture, I was less keen on its tendency to tear a little around the sewing stations. The title strip is Satogami paper that I tore by hand to augment the tactile feel of the book. Traditionally, the title strip in this position is placed no more than 3mm from the book's head and foredge. I used Chiyogami paper for the Noble binding on the right; it responded much better than the plant-fibre paper. Traditional Japanese surface pattern designs A lot of bookbinding activities involve maths, such as figuring out the placement of sewing stations (the holes through which you sew). If maths isn't your strong suit, don't be put off trying your hand at making books. I'm not brilliant with numbers, yet with practice I've become proficient at making the calculations required to make all sorts of books. Some students even go one step further and sew each stitch at three different settings. One normal, a second with the width adjusted, and a third with the length adjusted. Blank books are fantastic as sketchbooks and journals, and a great place to start. But I want to inspire my workshop participants to think about content ideas and the kinds of projects that would be brilliantly showcased with a traditional Japanese book. So I bring along some 'real life' examples of Stab Stitch books, including an annual review, a community recipe book, a textile stitch sampler and a published book about Japanese craft and product design.

Learning How to Make Japanese Stab Stitch Books - BOUND Learning How to Make Japanese Stab Stitch Books - BOUND

And then there's the Tortoiseshell. It looks like a one-of-a-kind style, but is in fact the 4-Hole binding with the addition of some extra stitches either side of the original four sewing stations. Each sheet of Chiyogami is large enough to make covers for three A5 landscape Japanese Stab Stitch books, or one A5 landscape and one A4 portrait book. There will be some paper leftover, which you can use to make corner pieces. The paper is long grain, in case you were wondering - don't forget to keep the grain direction of your materials running parallel to the spine of you book. And which awl should you use? Japanese awls are beautifully forged, typically used with a hammer. If you don't have those, English awls are comfortable to use thanks to the curved wooden handle that fits beautifully in the palm of your hand. Calculations A Stitch Book is a sewn-out sample of EVERY utility stitch, buttonhole, and decorative stitch built into the sewing machine you own. We have been sewing out STITCH BOOKS for years. Every time a new top-of-the-line sewing machine is launched someone stitches out all the stitches. Find New Stitches– Find new stitches you didn’t even know you had. Many students tell me that they found some new favorite stitches they didn’t know they had after completing their stitch book.Attention Future Stitching Cosmos Students…One of your Stitching Cosmos homework assignments is to sew a Stitch Book. Get a jump on your homework and have it completely stitched out BEFORE class starts. Trust me! You will be thankful you did! Stitches Look Better Stitched Out – Seeing the stitches in thread versus on the sewing machine screen is truly night and day. If you don’t believe it, stitch out three rows of decorative stitches and see for yourself. By the end of the course, each person in my bookbinding group will have made each of the four traditional Japanese Stab Stitch books, culminating in a stunning Tortoiseshell binding with traditional decorative corners and covers, just like this: Hemp Leaf binding on a sketchbook with flower petals in the cotton rag paper covers. The unique qualities of Japanese papers

Stitch Book Kit - Etsy UK Stitch Book Kit - Etsy UK

Top Tip! If you're making books at home and the maths ever starts to feel too much, follow the advice I give to my students - trust your eye. It's amazing how accurate the eye can be in determining the correct placement of a sewing station, usually to within a millimetre. Achieving beautiful outcomes, even as a beginner book maker I was very much enjoying this post, and then as I got to the end, surprise! there’s my cyanotype book! Geometric shapes are also found in traditional Japanese decorative designs. They provide more complex patterns, suggesting movement - perhaps the waves of a choppy ocean, reminiscent of Hokusai's paintings. And for a bit of fun, I've chosen a sheet of Katazome-Shi paper for its cheerful bird-song design. I bought all these papers from Shepherds in London. Is it worth using traditional Japanese papers? I am in the process of making a stitch book for my sewing machine. I remember the article you wrote about the importance of a stitch book and I can see why. The stitches really do look amazing when they are stitched up.Thanks again for your help. Marcia In our next session, I'll b e introducing my group to the Tortoiseshell Japanese Stab Stitch pattern. I'll also be demonstrating how to make and attach decorative spine corners and traditional folded covers for the Stab Stitch books using very special Japanese papers.After that you're ready to try the Hemp Leaf. This looks complicated, but you start off simply by making the Noble binding, and then adding extra stitches, which evoke the leaves of the Hemp plant.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment