276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Hormonal: How Hormones Drive Desire, Shape Relationships, and Make Us Wiser

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

When the author tries to be more "scientific", she cites what she perceives as examples of behaviours that seem to prove her point. But we face the problem of confirmation bias here: when people unconsciously select data that support their views, and ignore data that doesn't. And when data that is at most ambiguous, is also claimed as supporting their existing position.

Pheochromocytoma: A pheochromocytoma is a rare tumor that forms in the middle of one or both of your adrenal glands (adrenal medulla). The tumor is made of a certain type of cell called chromaffin cells, which produce and release certain hormones. They’re usually benign but can be cancerous. Martie Haselton managed to convey a lot of scientific information in a way that was easy to read and kept my attention (not an easy task)! What stood out to me the most in this book was the amazing power that hormones have in our bodies and how the chemicals that are always at work impact every aspect of life. My view of the world is different from the author's, as I believe that God created the world and everything in it (including humans), not that we evolved to be what we are now. So, instead of seeing the beautiful intricacies of how a female body works as evolutionary success for our species, I see it as the beautiful design of God. Your pituitary gland is a pea-sized gland at the base of your brain, behind the bridge of your nose and directly below your hypothalamus. It consists of two lobes: the posterior lobe and the anterior lobe. Your pituitary gland releases several hormones — many of which control the functions of other endocrine glands. Because your body makes over 50 different hormones — all of which contribute to important bodily functions — you could experience several different symptoms depending on which hormonal imbalance you have.

What a Difference a Day Makes: How my Middle-Aged Zest for Sex was a Catalyst for Change by Lins Ringer

The next time you hear—or say---those words, (she's hormonal), consider that “she” is a grandmother, a mother, a sister, a friend, a daughter. “She” is one in the unbroken chain of women who were our ancestors living eons ago up through the present, and who are yet to be born and come of age, each one possessing a singular hormonal cycle. “She” may be you. “She” is me, and I am proud to be hormonal.”Overall, I found myself going “wow, that’s a crazy thing our bodies and hormones do without us knowing!” several times when reading the book. There are also certain studies and findings provided about men’s behaviours and “hormonal intelligence” and how those interact with female hormonal intelligence. Your body uses hormones for two types of communication. The first type is communication between two endocrine glands: One gland releases a hormone, which stimulates another gland to change the levels of hormones that it’s releasing. An example of this is the communication between your pituitary gland and thyroid. Your pituitary gland releases thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), which triggers your thyroid gland to release its hormones, which then affect various aspects of your body. People assigned male at birth (AMAB) can have an imbalance of testosterone, which the testes produce, and other sex hormones, which can cause the following symptoms: Pituitary adenomas: Pituitary adenomas can cause an imbalance in any of the hormones your pituitary gland makes. For example, pituitary adenomas are the most common cause of acromegaly (excess growth hormone in adults).

Some hormonal imbalances can be temporary while others are chronic (long-term). In addition, some hormonal imbalances require treatment so you can stay physically healthy, while others may not impact your health but can negatively affect your quality of life. What conditions are caused by hormonal imbalances?Parental investment theory - The sex that is required to invest more time and effort in bringing up children and that is biologically limited in number of children they can have will be selective in choosing their mate)

Hormones are powerful signals. For many hormones, having even slightly too much or too little of them can cause major changes to your body and lead to certain conditions that require treatment.Thyroid disease: The two main types of thyroid disease are hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone levels) and hyperthyroidism (high thyroid hormone levels). Each condition has multiple possible causes. Thyroid disease requires treatment. These experiences are crucial to our understanding of what it means to be human. They also unite us with our mammalian cousins and even the colossal lizards that once roamed the earth.” extended sexuality(active through cycle leading to pair bonding), undercover ovulation(fertility is not advertised and helps women be selective with their choice and also wait till their bodies are mature to carry a full term pregnancy), menstruation(not many in animal world menstruate), menopause(many animals reproduce till they die)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment