276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Apartment Upstairs: The addictive and twisty new thriller from the bestselling author of The Rumour

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Apartment Upstairs is the sort of read that will have you listening out for creaks in the floorboards from other rooms. Lesley Kara is incomparable.'

The Apartment Upstairs by Lesley Kara | Goodreads The Apartment Upstairs by Lesley Kara | Goodreads

THE AUTHOR: THE AUTHOR: Lesley Kara is an alumna of the Faber Writing Academy 'Writing a Novel' course. She lives in the small town of Flinstead-on-Sea on the North Essex coast. The Rumour is her first novel. Scarlett 's aunt lived - and was brutally murdered - in the apartment upstairs. But Scarlett is determined that life should return to some kind of normal, even if that means living with just a ceiling between her and the scene of such a devastating crime. After all, this is her home. She's safe here. Isn't she? MY THOUGHTS: The Apartment Upstairs is an addictive read, one I couldn't put down and which had me reading into the early hours of the morning. Dee and Lindsay's best friend Gina disappeared many years ago. There's been no trace of her and Dee is helping Gina's family to organise a memorial event for her. Really enjoyed the whole guessing throughout with secrets, twists and lies thrown in a long the way to keep the reader engaged and trying to figure out how it would end.I found it very easy to read and engaging. The writing style is very good and the dual storyline works extremely well, leaving you guessing right to the very end, and, in my case, guessing wrong and being surprised by the twisted ending. Mystery and thriller fans will find themselves losing touch with their surrounding as they open this book. You can expect a relaxed easy read during the first half of this book but be prepared for an edge-of-your-seat experience once you pass the halfway mark. The Apartment Upstairs is a fantastic read that I would highly recommend. If you haven’t yet, add this one to your TBR. Startlingly original . . . It's hard to think of a recent novel than can match it for an almost unbearable level of suspense' Sunday Times

The Apartment Upstairs by Lesley Kara | Waterstones

I spotted this book in my local books shop and was intrigued by the synopsis. I had not ready books by Lesley Kara before but it was a good sign when shortly after starting it I was already looking to see what other books she had written. For Dee that was horrifying and she thinks she should've confided in someone about it because that was a sign that he's dangerous. That doesn't make sense and it really bothered me that it read like kink-shaming and that "normal" people don't enjoy something like that. The Christmas Love Letters – Sue Moorcroft | Book Review | #TheChristmasLoveLetters @SueMoorcroft @AvonBooksUK @rararesources Dee is a funeral director, she runs her business with her best friend and they are busy planning an event to remember their friend Gina, who went missing ten years ago. When Dee and Scarlett meet to discuss the arrangements for Rebecca’s funeral, these two women find comfort in each other’s company and both speak a lot more openly than they normally would. Scarlett’s aunt, Rebecca, was brutally murdered in her bed, in the apartment upstairs. When the police are done with the crime scene and the clean-up has been completed, Scarlett decides to return home. She has the perfect apartment, and she is not going to give it up. She loves her home, and her aunt played a big role in her life. She has good memories of Rebecca, so there is no reason for her not to return home.The family dynamics are done so well, with the male members of Scarlett's family assuming that her illness makes her weak, at times almost manipulating her to believe that herself. Dee and Lindsay's relationship is an interesting one to watch play out, often long-term friends will put up with much more from each other than they would from a newer friend. At times they become bitter towards each other, yet at others they are so very close. Scarlett’s beloved Aunt Rebecca has been brutally murdered on the apartment upstairs. It’s incredibly traumatic for Scarlett, but she’s determined to try and move on, she has no choice - this is her home too. ABOUT 'THE APARTMENT UPSTAIRS': Scarlett's aunt lived - and was brutally murdered - in the apartment upstairs. But Scarlett is determined that life should return to some kind of normal, even if that means living with just a ceiling between her and the scene of such a devastating crime. After all, this is her home. She's safe here. Isn't she?

The Apartment Upstairs - Penguin Books UK The Apartment Upstairs - Penguin Books UK

We also have Dee who runs funeral firm Fond Farewells with business partner Lindsay. They are arranging Rebecca’s funeral and also a big memorial for the anniversary of her missing friend Gina. When threats start appearing my first thought was the convenience of the timing and that they must be connected. Was it murder/suicide or was it framed to look that way? Where is Gina?

The Apartment Upstairs is the sort of read that will have you listening out for creaks in the floorboards from other rooms. Lesley Kara is incomparable .'

The Apartment Upstairs by Lesley Kara | Waterstones The Apartment Upstairs by Lesley Kara | Waterstones

Scarlett's aunt lived - and was brutally murdered - in the apartment upstairs. But Scarlett is determined that life should return to some kind of normal, even if that means living with just a ceiling between her and the scene of such a devastating crime. Scarlett discovers correspondence linking Rebecca and Gina and soon she is left not knowing what to believe when her father ad her brother acts strangely. Is she seeing things that aren’t there, or is her family keeping her in the dark for a reason? A thoroughly enjoyable read, great pace and the chapters flow nicely. 100% recommend the apartment upstairs.The Apartment Upstairs is what I would regard as a ‘quiet mystery/thriller’ but with a sinister undertone running through. The story also includes a strand featuring that of a missing woman, a best friend of the two women who run the funeral business, Fond Farewells, engaged by Scarlett to deal with her aunt’s funeral.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment