276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Transitional: In One Way or Another, We All Transition

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She has recently been appointed as Contributing Editor at British Vogue, and has contributed to publications including the Guardian, Evening Standard, Grazia, i-D, Elle, Teen Vogue and Paper Magazine. Munroe regularly consults for global FTSE 100 businesses for their inclusivity and diversity schemes, including the world’s largest beauty brand, L’Oreal Paris, where she sits on their UK Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board to influence and inform the brand and be a voice for black, trans and queer community. The next paragraph literally jumps forward with "I got through university and graduated with a 2:1". Bergdorf relays the trials and tribulations of growing up uncomfortable with how society views who she should be in a way that is relatable to everyone, queer or otherwise. One of my favorite passages in the book is “The existence of LGBTQ+ Pride is a defiance of heteronormative society’s efforts to shame us as a community, because of our sexual identities and desires.

I had thought it was a memoir but I'd say that as it is, the text was probably more suited for say a blog form OR it should have been made clearer. When Munroe Bergdorf began to transition in 2009, her only goal was to be perceived as the gender by which she identified. Ebooks fulfilled through Glose cannot be printed, downloaded as PDF, or read in other digital readers (like Kindle or Nook). She has spoken on international panels from Oxford to Princeton University and contributed to publications including the Guardian, Evening Standard, Grazia, i-D, British Vogue, Elle, Teen Vogue and Paper magazine.

While telling us of the many transitions in her own childhood and adolescence, the realisation of her transness she also shines a light on the wider attitudes of society, largely determined by a gaze that is white, cis and heteronormative. The idea that we must navigate difficulties and heal from trauma is so vague that it feels almost as if Bergdorf is trying to make herself believe it. In this life-affirming, heartfelt and intimate book, activist and model Munroe Bergdorf shares reflections from her own life to illustrate how transitioning is an essential part of all of our lives.

Going out in drag made me feel like the best version of myself; I felt liberated, as if I was able to wear my feelings for everyone to see, without shame, without filter. I tried reassuring her that it would never be that way, that she would be gaining a happy child instead of risking losing an unhappy one. We’re all on a journey, and a transition with regards to gender is just one of many we all experience as human beings.Bergdorf told the Guardian that she envisaged the book as “a manifesto for how I see society changing for the better, bringing us all closer”. In 2019, she was awarded an honorary doctorate for her contributions campaigning for transgender rights by the University of Brighton, and was recently appointed a National Advocate for UN Women UK. And so I was excited to see she had a book available in the US (much of her work is in the UK), especially since it is Pride Month. For all ebook purchases, you will be prompted to create an account or login with your existing HarperCollins username and password.

I always find it difficult to critique someone's memoir when it's their life, and they have chosen where to draw the lines in terms of sharing. However it is not only validating for someone like me, but I believe that it would also be incredibly understandable to a cisgender audience, exploring things in a way that is easy to follow without sacrificing its detail. As I started to look more ‘feminine’, I also started confusing sexual objectification with validation. To access you ebook(s) after purchasing, you can download the free Glose app or read instantly on your browser by logging into Glose.But we live in a society where the trans community is still treated as an inconvenience, an anomaly, an afterthought, an agenda or an issue. PRAISE FOR THE AUTHOR:‘Bergdorf is proof that speaking up for what you believe in can provoke real change’ Vogue‘A phenomenon’ Owen Jones, Guardian‘A powerful and unstoppable new force . Bergdorf has spoken out recently about fellow Bloomsbury author JK Rowling, whose recent comments about transgender rights Bergdorf described as transphobic. As mentioned, there are some heavy topics that do include uncomfortable topics such as rape, drug use, grooming, child pronography, homophobia, transphobia, etc.

In it, she will argue that transition is an experience every person faces in every phase in life, “and that only by recognising this can we understand times of change”. The incessant questioning of trans rights and constant debate turns the very real lives of people into concepts and statistics. Unsurprisingly, Bergdorf was confused about her attraction to boys/men pre-transition, was subjected to multiple forms of abuse and violence: sexual, physical, emotional, etc. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products.It’s such a shame, especially with these gender critical feminists like JK Rowling and Baroness Nicholson,” she said. It stretches way beyond Bergdorf's own gender transition story to explore the many transitions we all go through in our brief time on this earth.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment