276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Grandpa's Feeders Automatic Chicken Feeder - Sturdy Galvanized Steel Poultry Feeders - Rat Proof & No Spill with Weatherproof Lid - Standard Size for 6-12 Chickens 10 days (20lb Feed)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I just keep my feed in a trough inside the Omlet run which is shut at night so only little beasties can get at it. Extrapolating from the startling data found here, I calculated that 25 rats can consume 500 pounds of feed per year. However, we do have rats that visit (and carefully avoid the poison bait stations ), and the hens chuck the food everywhere and make a dreadful mess. Those upright metal plates on either end are to stop the chickens feeding from the side and being injured from the closing lid.

When a representative of Grandpa’s Feedersin New Zealand contacted me about test-driving one of their treadle feeders, I was not inclined to try one initially because I didn’t believe I needed a new feeder.So a bit of background we produce all our own corn on the farm and that along with layers pellets makes up the majority of the chickens feed.

In short though it’s a mite that burrows under the skin of chickens’ legs and feet [despite the name it can affect their comb and wattles too.

We figured out how to make a feeder squirrel proof by moving the springs to the door and using two springs so all of the pressure is direct to the door and not leveraged through the treadle. Speaking with Richard at Grandpa’s feeders he said some people have set up their feeder and wondered what the bolts were for as their birds have taken to it so quickly! We put a piece of weatherstripping on the flap that shuts down so that we would not have to listen to the sound all day. With a Grandpas everything is available to hens in more of a uniformed manner great for keeping a balanced diet.

I knew rats will urinate where they eat and that urine causes Leptospirosis in humans but didn’t know anything further than that. A standard feeder can have 3 – 4 chickens eating together at one time, but can be easily be used to feed a flock.

There is a training period that allows the birds to become accustomed to the operation of the feeder that requires no effort on the part of the chicken-keeper. Fed up of this, we decided to invest in a new British-made treadle feeder but alas, the only one we could find has now had a plastic lid and plastic tread plate fitted! Grandpa's uses galvanised steel, while many of the imitations are Chinese imports using lightweight aluminium.

I took them back to stage one again and when introducing movement put the foam supplied and more to stop any noise but to no avail. I installed the Automatic Chicken Feeder in the training mode being sure to close it each night and open it in the morning. After finding the dead mouse in the run, I set up an electronic trap to see if I could catch any of his friends.The video below is our initial thoughts on a Grandpa’s Feeder, from New Zealand, that just moved here using a moving company for this. Please contact us if you have questions about this product or if you want any other advice to find the most suitable equipment for your chickens and ducks. Squirrels and bunnies are why a treadle feeder needs a narrow and distant perch instead of the humongous steps that many companies put on their treadle feeder. Because we value your business and the trust you've placed in us to feed your feathered family, we provide a 24 month, 100% money-back guarantee against defects in the equipment. and all the hens are still happily using it - not a hint of being scared at all, they are all confidently hopping on and off the feeder.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment