276°
Posted 20 hours ago

I Am Not a Label: 34 disabled artists, thinkers, athletes and activists from past and present

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Representation matters so greatly. It’s not acceptable for children to grow up with a singular narrative. Because that narrative excludes a large amount of families and every child deserves to have their life represented by the beauty and power of story. Who are some of your favourite role models from the book and why? I Am Not a Label by Cerrie Burnell and illustrated by Lauren Mark Baldo is perhaps one of the best books I have ever read detailing successful people with disabilities or mental health issues. A collection of short biographies of a vast number of people throughout history who have done well in their lives but have also experienced great struggles. It opened up a lot of conversation between C and myself. He had a lot of questions and was eager to learn more.

I Am Not A Label | BookTrust

Challenge your preconceptions of disability and mental health” - this book promises to do just that. People from all ages, races and historical times with fascinating stories to be shared and to inspire children. We learn about all types of disabilities, whether they are visible or hidden like being blind like Stevie Wonder, having autism like Temple Grandin and having spina bifida like Catalina Devantas. In this stylishly illustrated biography anthology, meet 34artists, thinkers, athletes, and activists with disabilities, from past and present. From Frida Kahlo to Stephen Hawking, find out how these iconic figures have overcome obstacles, owned their differences, and paved the way for others by making their bodies and minds work for them. Fascinating, funny and informative, this is an anthology that breaks stereotypes and challenges assumptions. Looking for information on disability and children's books? Bookmark is full of advice and book recommendations for families, teachers, librarians, authors and publishers.

I Am Not A Label- I requested this book as this is something I often have to remind people. I myself have Cerebral Palsy and Hydrocephalus with 4 severe vision impairmants and I am an electric wheelchair user.

I Am Not A Label: addressing stories of disability I Am Not A Label: addressing stories of disability

This is an excellent book! The biographical snippets for each entry were well written and compelling and the illustrations that accompanied each person were gorgeous. If I had found this book when I was in middle school, this would have been one of those books that would have inspired me to lookup more in depth biographies on many of figures depicted in this book. The book is made of diverse figures both historical and contemporary, and I loved that people with mental health issues were included in this collection. This book is non-fiction aimed at children, however, I want to start this review off by saying that everyone should read this book, no matter what age you are. From young to old and everything in between. This book should be in schools, libraries and bedrooms. Every library needs this book, for those who feel alienated by their disability, and for those who need to understand that disabled people are not so different, This is an anthology of tales about disabled artists, athletes, activists, thinkers, writers, performers and dreamers, finding joy, normality andwonder in a world that deems us ‘different’ (as though it is something bad). In this book I have choose to use what is called identity-firstlanguage, which means I say 'disabled person' instead of 'a person with a disability'. Neither is wrong, or offensive, but it is importantto remember that people are disabled by society and do not need to be fixed. If there are any words in the book that you’re not sureabout, there is a glossary at the end to help. Each person in this book has led or continues to lead a fascinatinglife, often overcoming misconceptions and prejudice to do so. I hopeyou will love reading their stories. I hope they will show you that weare all more than just a label, and that whoever you are, disabled or not, there are no limits to your dreams. If you're looking to learn, grab this book! It's a great collection of facts and stories that also have absolutely beautiful illustrations to go along with them.This is an anthology of tales about disabled artist, athletes, activists, thinkers, writers, performers and dreamers, finding joy, normality and wonder in a world that deems is “different”(as though this is something bad)

I Am Not a Label: 34 disabled artists, thinkers, athlet…

I Am Not a Label: 34 Disabled Artists, Thinkers, Athletes and Activists From Past and Present by Cerrie Burnell is a beautifully illustrated (Lauren Baldo, artist) anthology that introduces young readers to disabled role models. The illustrations are beautiful and engaging, and I truly believe that this book will provide children with an opportunity to learn about others with different abilities from their own before any preconceptions around “disabilities” are developed. I learned from this book, as did my daughter, so is certainly one of those timeless books that can span generations, allowing more to be taken from it with each read. We shall certainly be revisiting it. My only critique of the work is that some of the fonts make it difficult to read the names of the people. As a book meant for children it would have been better to use very clear fonts to make it accessible to the most readers. The glossary at the end is brilliant for easily explaining words that children may never have heard before such as cisgender and fibromyalgia. This is the best fun ever!" How South Asian weddings inspired Zanib Mian to write about Pakistani cultureFantastic encyclopedia of a diverse group of accomplished people in a variety of fields such as science, math, sports, art, dance and more. I appreciated that the text wasn't littered with people well-known such as Helen Keller, Matisse, Stevie Wonder but also included people that many have not heard of. Even better was the author's sensitivity of not labeling the person with a disability but explaining the complications a person faced and how they were overcome. There are some athletes in this collection that reminded me of how incredible the Paralympics are, in which Brazil is a powerhouse (but unfortunately there is no Brazilian in the collection). But one thing that left me 100% WOW, are Stevie Wonder's achievements in his career, because I know the guy is very famous and talented, but he leaves everyone empty-handed in awards! I have even talked the head into a little revamp of the library so that we can display them properly!

I Am Not a Label | Cerrie Burnell | 9780711247451 | NetGalley I Am Not a Label | Cerrie Burnell | 9780711247451 | NetGalley

There are people representing those with Down's syndrome, spina bifida, polio victims, those who self-harm, chronic pain, autism, brittle bone disease, transgender, epilepsy, and more. She trained at Manchester Metropolitan and her credits prior to CBeebies include Eastenders, The Bill, Holby City, and Comedy Lab for Channel Four and various plays, including Winged, an original play she wrote and starred in at the Tristan Bates theatre. I am used to having to self-advocate and have been from a very young age. I hope this book goes a long way to educating adults and children about disabilities. There's only one things left to say- I really wish it was around when I was a child and teen, it could have been very useful. I think the book makes the topic of disability accessible to people and not something which, unfortunately, some people are reluctant to talk about today. But all in all, I really did enjoy this book, it is gorgeously illustrated with a wonderful portrait of the person on one side and their story on the other side. As I said, I learned about new people and their things. I would recommend this one. Still, that is only a minor complaint for a book that accomplishes its aims so well. It is very educational, and it is amazingly global and diverse, representing lots of different time periods, races, and nations. Even though I was already familiar with some of these historical figures and celebrities, I had never heard of most of them, and I am glad that I had the chance to learn so much from this.I Am Not A Label is an anthology of stories aimed at older children, exploring the lives of 34 “disabled artists, thinkers, athletes and activists from past and present”, published by Wide Eyed Editions. I came across this book in one of my libraries and just had to bring it along with me because it looked SO good. I was curious about the various people mentioned, would I recognise them or not? There are some well-known names in the book, from Stephen Hawking to Frida Kahlo, but the difference here is the way their stories are told using the social model: the barriers described are societal and medical conditions are used simply for context. This treatment is vital in a book aimed at highlighting role models for children and young people, both disabled and non-disabled. Trischa Zorn, Ade Adepitan, Stella Young, Lady Gaga,Naoki Higashida, Isabella Springmuhl Tejada, Aaron Philip, Cerrie Burnell is an actress, singer, playwright, author and former television presenter for CBeebies (2009–2017). She was born with half a right arm and has sought to increase visibility of disabled people through her career in presenting, writing and acting.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment