276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Shepherd: The thrilling number one bestseller from the master of storytelling

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is a really neat, short, exciting read that Julie and I read aloud to each other this evening. The story has been broadcast "nearly every Christmas since 1979" in Canada on the CBC Radio One news programme As It Happens. [1] Read by Alan Maitland, the recording always airs on the last episode on or before Christmas Eve. In 2018, for the 50th Anniversary special of As it Happens [2] Carol Off, Michael Enright, and Tom Power celebrated the tradition of reading The Shepherd by reading lines from the story. I was first introduced to this story by Fireside Al from the CBC (although I'm not Canadian my upstate NY radio station carried 'As It Happens' which I loved!). Who doesn't love having a story read to them? And this reading is special. A treat for Christmas Eve.

The Shepherd - the film! (?) | Secret Projects Forum The Shepherd - the film! (?) | Secret Projects Forum

The pilot thought Kavanaugh must have bought his old Mosquito with JK painted on it, still flew it on occasion, had seen a plane in distress and directed it to his old base. Before Joe left the room he told the pilot that Kavanaugh died on Christmas Eve, 1943, when he went down with his plane in the North Sea.This is a short simple story, following a pilot on his way home for Christmas and the misfortune he faces. He encounters a World War II era De Havilland Mosquito fighter-bomber and recalls that the meteorological squadron used the last of the Mosquitoes to prepare weather forecasts. The Mosquito’s pilot used hand signals to give the Vampire’s pilot flight commands. At one point the Vampire’s pilot sees the nose of the Mosquito, which had the letters JK painted on it. Book Genre: Adventure, Aviation, Christmas, Fiction, Historical, Historical Fiction, Holiday, Military Fiction, Mystery, Short Stories, Suspense, Thriller, War Every year, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation broadcasts a reading of The Shepherd by Alan Maitland. Maitland passed away in 1999, but recordings of him reading The Shepherd are available, like this 32 minute reading on You Tube. Oh dear.... Whilst Travolta is an aviation enthusiast (so can't be all bad ) he's all wrong for that role. If anything, his age should preclude him from that role.

The Shepherd (Short 2023) - IMDb The Shepherd (Short 2023) - IMDb

One of the best short stories of my younger years; While not strictly YA I would have no hesitation recommending it to those readers. Started off as the last book for 2019, it became the first one for 2020 and what an amazing one it was! A masterfully written thriller which some modern authors can take notes from. Oh, and the radio adaptation featuring Alan Maitland as the narrator is top-notch too. The pilot did two turns of the triangle manoeuvre and waited. Nothing happened. Nobody came. Distraught at this point, all sorts of things go through his mind.

The son of a furrier, he was born in Ashford, Kent, educated at Tonbridge School and later attended the University of Granada. He became one of the youngest pilots in the Royal Air Force at 19, where he served on National Service from 1956 to 1958. Becoming a journalist, he joined Reuters in 1961 and later the BBC in 1965, where he served as an assistant diplomatic correspondent. From July to September 1967, he served as a correspondent covering the Nigerian Civil War between the region of Biafra and Nigeria. He left the BBC in 1968 after controversy arose over his alleged bias towards the Biafran cause and accusations that he falsified segments of his reports. Returning to Biafra as a freelance reporter, Forsyth wrote his first book, The Biafra Story in 1969. Forsyth created this original work as a Christmas gift to his first wife Carrie after she requested a ghost story be written for her. Written on Christmas Day 1974, and published near that time a year later, the idea came while trying to think of a setting away from the typical haunted homes, and seeing planes flying overhead. Many have speculated references to preexisting RAF folklore. While Forsyth is a former RAF pilot and could have heard and adapted such a story (either with or without the intent to do so) no references or anecdotal evidence have been put forward to support such claims. The Shepherd relates the story of a De Havilland Vampire pilot, going home on Christmas Eve 1957, whose aircraft suffers a complete electrical failure en route from RAF Celle in northern Germany to RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk. Lost in fog over the North Sea, low on fuel, no working compass or radio, the pilot begins flying in small triangles, an odd flying pattern which would be detected on radar. An air traffic controller would be notified, and would send other aircraft to find him and "shepherd" (i.e. guide) him to Merriam St. George, the closest airstrip he was aware of. Found this classic short-story by coincidence on a bookshelf in a hotel in Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria, while waiting for our taxi to the airport.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment