276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Year of Living Simply: The joys of a life less complicated (Kate Humble)

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This year, in lockdown, if we are lucky enough to have some open space, we’ve been vegetable growing.

I'm listening to it feeling guilty for binning my twelve year old toaster bought for twenty quid way back when. And I felt she was slightly judgmental of those who didn’t aspire to these things whilst at the same time trying to be self deprecating about her own abilities eg with making bread. Quitting London and its noise for a farm in the remote Welsh countryside, quitting her regularpresenting gig on Springwatch in 2011 aftersix years because she’d got ‘too comfortable’ –she’s either in or she’s out. They found comfort – real comfort –in going out and picking a flower or plantingradishes or talking to somebody on the phoneas opposed to just texting. She's recounted the many ways in which we can live and savour our life without throwing all of belongings away, and the stories of the people she met, talked to, and even became friends with are the most inspiring part of the book.I'm trying to live more 'simply' for the benefit of the planet and my own well-being so this book appealed to me. A very readable book written in an approachable style, this is a fascinating book which I recommend to anyone who wants to consider alternatives or new emphasis in life.

I wondered why she had to fly to the Taos community with their recycled housing (using bottles and other reclaimed materials) in New Mexico. What feels a little disappointing to me is that not everything that Kate Humble or the people she meets do is accessible to anyone—which can be a bit disheartening when you are reading this book in the hopes of starting to "live more simply". But taking the time to savour the things that bring pleasure, really being in that moment and appreciating it, can remind you that most days have moments that buoy your mood. Sadly, next up was a trip to New Mexico for three weeks to help build an Earthship (Google it I had to! I also loved how she shared her own personal memories of happy times with friends and family, and how things have changed over the years that people seem to value things differently now.Kate’s fresh and frank exploration of a stripped-back approach to life is uplifting, engaging and inspiring.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment