276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Furious Devotion: The Life of Shane MacGowan

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b "Brian Kelly | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". Myspace.com. Archived from the original on 21 December 2014 . Retrieved 19 April 2014.

Cooper, Leonie (24 December 2015). " "I Don't Like Christmas, It's Gross": An Interview With Shane MacGowan". Vice Magazine. Archived from the original on 10 December 2016 . Retrieved 24 December 2015. Shane opens door for drawing to go under the hammer". Independent.ie. 29 November 2012. Archived from the original on 12 December 2010 . Retrieved 19 April 2014. President Higgins presents Shane MacGowan with lifetime achievement award". The Irish Times. 16 January 2018. Archived from the original on 25 December 2019 . Retrieved 6 May 2020. After If I Should Fall From Grace With God, MacGowan would stay with the Pogues for two more albums, but he had wanted out after that tour ended. He was not in his right mind, gobbling insane amounts of LSD and having conversations with a dead Jimi Hendrix, among other pastimes. When the Pogues were invited to open six shows for Bob Dylan in 1989, MacGowan failed to show because he was holed up in a friend’s apartment in London, strung out like a kite. The band played the shows without him, though it’s not clear if Dylan even noticed.Harrison, Ellie (6 December 2022). "Pogues singer Shane MacGowan rushed to hospital as wife urges fans to 'send prayers' ". The Independent . Retrieved 12 December 2022.

Disalvo, Tom (6 December 2022). "Shane MacGowan of The Pogues admitted to hospital". NME . Retrieved 12 December 2022. Janet Street-Porter. "Editor-At-Large: Tasteless, rude, brilliant (not you, Shane)". The Independent. Archived from the original on 18 March 2017 . Retrieved 4 April 2004. Furious Devotion" details Shane's life growing up in and around London with his frequent trips to Co. Tipperary to visit his extended family in the summers of his youth where the Irish mythos seeped into his soul. The book does a great job at situating him in the early London punk scene as he was a staple at shows put on by The Clash and The Sex Pistols. I learned a lot about his first real band, The Nips, and how he met Jem and started The Pogues -- all of this was really helpful as I try to understand the history of the music that is most important to me. As The Pogues grew in popularity due to their genius song-writing and Shane's beautiful and deep poetry, he could handle the fame less and less, driving him further into a substance abuse that began when he was just a kid. It's awful to watch as you read about his continued decline -- the wealth of photographs in the book detail this all too well also -- though it's amazing to see Shane's iron constitution as his body was able to somehow handle the severe and continued amounts of poison he was (and still is) putting into it.

Special edition of The Eternal Buzz and The Crock of Gold #1

Balls will spend a great deal of time with Shane over a two-year period, but the subject is not always game to talk. “Day blurs into night and night into day,” Balls writes of a 2018 episode in MacGowan’s Dublin flat. “He will only talk when he is in the mood …” and spends most of his time watching television (gangster films and Westerns are particular favorites). His glass is never far out of sight. I've never been a big fan of The Pogues or indeed bothered to find out much about their front man, the larger than life Shane MacGowan. However, living in the UK in the 90s it was hard not to see him occasionally and he is definitely a commanding presence when he does appear on TV for example. Whenever I have seen him performing or interviewed he seems to have been virtually paralytic with booze or some other substance and indeed, that does seem to have been the story of his life pretty much. In the midst of the punk maelstrom, MacGowan was still soaking up Irish music. He started playing with Pogues co-founders and friends Spider Stacy and Jem Finer (both English-born) in an Irish-folk side project in the early Eighties, a gig that later segued into the Pogues. MacGowan’s first composition for the Pogues was “Streams of Whiskey,” a paean to Irish writer Brendan Behan and the spirit the Irish call “water of life”; indeed, the band’s identity seemed to be crystallized with its very first song. Definitive portrait of the former Pogue. Intimate, cooperative... the book's strength is that he lets MacGowan speak, and speak on, perfectly capturing the lyrical, romantic rhythms beneath the rasped whisper.' Mojo Book of the Month, 4*

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment