276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Family Retreat: 'Few psychological thrillers ring so true.' The Sunday Times Crime Club Star Pick

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But Jess' intrusive behaviour is validified, and we wouldn't have had all the drama, otherwise, I suppose. There is also some great social commentary along the way. You can tell that the author has experience in psychology as she uses Jess to get into other people's dilemmas, and I did enjoy the concept of seeing [or not seeing] problems from the outside.

Her husband Rob is a screenwriter and has just landed his first major movie deal.as well as having two small children Sam and Ruby. I was drawn to this novel when I saw an informed review of the novel, describing it as full of psychological ‘aha’ moments. And it is. In the review it said that it has “an astuteness that most other books would miss, whatever their genre....” So forget this being "the perfect chance to unwind and spend time together", as Jess has priorities all wrong and I was unusually annoyed by the fact that she couldn't take a few weeks off. The Dorset setting is used well, but there's just a lot going on so you're never in the holiday mood. Even her parents come to visit, so it feels like this family had moved to a new town rather than taking a break.We recommend Wonderment, a retreat festival held once a year in September in Berkshire, UK. A retreat by day, featuring a full programme of workshops and family activities, including yoga, and a joyous festival by night. This intimate, friendly and inclusive hybrid offers a weekend away of complete balance and joy. On arrival, guests are greeted with delicious plant-based appetisers and a cold glass of Wonderment water. During the retreat, the chef and team provide three delicious plant-based meals per day with large portions to keep you nourished throughout. What happens at a yoga retreat?

Contributions should be appropriate for a global audience. Please avoid using profanity or attempts to approximate profanity with creative spelling, in any language. Comments and media that include hate speech, discriminatory remarks, threats, sexually explicit remarks, violence, or the promotion of illegal activity are not permitted. These guidelines and standards aim to keep the content on Booking.com relevant and family-friendly, without limiting expression or strong opinions. They're also applicable regardless of the comment's tone.The characters are not likeable and mostly disturbed, probably too many people with issues in one place. One thing that is missing from your family is quality time. If your family is anything like mine, there are a lot of things going on at any given time. The kids are in school, activities, sports, scouts and/or church. The adults are working, commuting, doing yard work, shopping, cooking, and cleaning. All of that activity can make it difficult to find time to just slow down, enjoy one another and leave the busyness of the world behind. A family retreat can be the perfect solution to help you slow down, enjoy one another and leave the busyness of the world behind. A family retreat can be just the thing to help your family reconnect with one another and refocus on what is important. What are the goals of a family retreat? First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Faber and Faber (and in particular Rachel Quinn), and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. I liked the development between all the characters they felt real and gave a good insight into where they all were mentally in their lives. Having said that I didn't necessarily like all the characters, but then not all characters need to be likeable and at times it felt like there were too many stories all trying to be told in the one story to do any of them real justice, it could easily have been split into two books.

As autumn approaches, Jess – and the reader – will come to realise this is going to end in a way no-one could have imagined… The summer heat intensifies Jess - ever vigilant - unearths a secret, a problem she's sure she can help solve. But things are not always as they seem. The water may look inviting but even the gentlest looking waves can hide the deadliest undercurrents.

In the cottage next door Helen her husband James and there two children Ollie and Lexie have also come to spend the summer in Helen's mum cottage whilst she is away. Even though James can only visit at weekends due to setting up is own business. I loved the characterisation because, through the lynchpin of Jess, we get to know the people in The Family Retreat so completely. Jess felt totally real to me and so many aspects of her personality resonated with me personally, particularly that of trying to be all things to all people, so that the narrative was all the more affecting. However, the one person who astounded me most was Polly who is a universal everywoman so familiar in today’s society. Helen’s response to Polly’s experiences has a seismic impact on the reader and I wish every politician and patriarchal figure could read The Family Retreat so that they understand the lives of so many in our society. Through these characters Bev Thomas gave me far greater clarity and understanding than any factual account has managed. A retreat suggests a place of reflection and learning and my word do these characters learn about themselves and others! I loved the descriptions of the surroundings, making the coast and the dancing ledge almost a character in its own right and of the characters I felt I could really picture the story as it unfolded and it kept me intrigued to see what would happen next and if my suspicions were correct.

If you’re looking for a family retreat for summer 2021, there are some lovely options on Queen of Retreats. Some offer activities, wellness and fun for all the family, while others will help you work through issues with your children and teenagers. Jess is a GP and is hoping for a lovely break in Dorset. She immerses herself into village life immediately and meets a mother with children similar to hers in ages. They form a friendship but Jess feels it is very one sided as she is really trying but Helen is very closed. Spending days with the children on the beach seems idyllic but Helen only starts to show another side when she gets calls from her sister. Jess is struggling with not coping well as a GP and a parent so gets involved with Helen to help her sister but trouble is on the horizon and neither see it coming.

Featured Reviews

There is also the local farmer Pete and his wife Joyce and their eighteen year old son Loe who has learning difficulties. In the adjoining cottage is Penny and her father Phillip. There are certainly aspects of this book that are impressive. The writing is intelligent and there are a number of astute observations of human behaviour. I quite enjoyed the earlier sections of the novel, but by the 40% mark I was tired of the constant carrot dangling and promises of "jam tomorrow" - I wanted more tangible gratification for the time I had invested. I was actually to be kept waiting for some significant time to come, as it is only in the final quarter of the novel that there is a marked gear change. However, even with this eventual upping of pace, I found that I was not really feeling satisfied. Although the long-missing momentum had finally arrived, the narrative also became disjointed. The author was raising some significant and important issues - but there were too many of them and they were being presented in a fashion that was too fractured for the impact to be maximised. It's been a long time since that book and I was delighted to find that Thomas had published her second novel; The Family Retreat.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment