276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ravensburger Castles of Burgundy Strategy Board Game for Adults & Kids Ages 12 Years Up - 1 to 4 Players

£9.995£19.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Long-term planning needs to be a priority, but players must be flexible enough to incorporate the luck elements introduced by random tile availability and other players’ actions. Although it sounds complicated, in reality The Castles of Burgundy is a straightforward combination of strategy and luck that will gain you the points that you need to win. Many extra components will bring the gaming experience to the next level, such as double-layered player boards, special bags for hexes, bigger tiles or metal coins.

Tiles you’re holding but not using do you no good, so sometimes what you’re most interested in is a swift turnaround. If successful it will probably win you the game (particularly when combined with knowledge tile 7 for ludicrous combo points). Small sized farms can be a tidy source of points when there’s nothing better to do, but they’re merely an opportunistic play based on the dice and your board state. They also say that the game is very tactical and requires a previously planned game strategy to be successful.Castles of Burgundy is one of the most famous "Euro" style board games, published in 2011 and widely praised. You can choose to display a lighter background for estate spaces, which will make the tiles stand out more. From academic progress and city development, to agriculture and trading, many roads to prosperity are open to you. Our extensive range of adult puzzles range from 10 years of age and above and start at ever popular 500 and 1000 piece puzzles all the way up to one of the largest ever produced 40,000 pieces.

If there’s one drawback to The Castles of Burgundy it’s the set-up, with many small tiles that need to be arranged it’s a touch fiddly. They mention that it's a wonderful Eurogame with great strategic depth and replayability, and that it plays best with lower player counts. For a game that is widely purported to play as smoothly as butter, that’s probably not the texture you were expecting when you took a bite. While Ameritrash might encourage surface conflict, it’s the pro Eurogamer who’ll actually deliver defeats that’ll crush your ego and plans like so much garbage in a trash compactor.A worker permits you to manipulate the dice, meaning you can increase or decrease your roll depending on number of workers you use. These cookies enable us to show you content, including advertising, which is especially relevant and tailored to your personal interests. At this point we both understand that games are going to feel less like a chore after getting over the initial learning curve, but this one was just a bit too much for her. On one hand, I understand the arguments for the idea that a soft point floor is inelegant design, but I also appreciate that it’s nice to get points. You roll dice and then try to roll with the dice, until finally you can’t take it any more and reach into your wallet.

Looking back at the statistics, board 8 performs about 34 points better than board 1 on average, so I am pretty confident that my hypothesis is correct.It’s best to think of the dice in Castles of Burgundy not as enablers of actions but a way of disabling certain courses of action. The rulebook is terrible and badly structured, the components cheap and shoddy, and there is so much setup that I eventually gave up in frustration and put the box back on the shelf for literal years. The thing is, Castles of Burgundy makes this work by providing you with an astonishingly generous roster of uses to which you can put each of these dice and every one of them is desireable. You seek to build a Duchy, selecting and placing hex tiles obtained from a main board by allocating dice rolls that can be modified in intriguing and thematic ways. I only play solo and the game includes specific solo rules that are based upon completion of your "Duchy" rather than just beating your high score.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment