276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lost, Found, Remembered

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

We were absolutely delighted when Lyra agreed to entrust Excalibur Press with this book and were devastated to learn of her death just days before the book should have been going on pre-release and less than a month before she would have held it in her hand. On the second anniversary of the death in April 2021 the National Union of Journalists launched a campaign urging witnesses to come forward with fresh information. The weeks after she died were desolate, but I began to find myself looking out for signs of the hope that Lyra had instructed us not to abandon. The graffiti in Creggan was replaced with community paintings based on lines from Lyra’s work. Someone shared a video of a nurse in Altnagelvin Hospital singing “Amazing Grace” to an elderly patient. And then, six weeks after Lyra’s death, a herd of horses came streaming through the streets of Creggan. No one knew where they came from. A white horse led the team, their hooves clattering against the night’s silence. It was dark, and their coats flashed and gleamed as they galloped underneath the orange streetlights, surging past the sleeping houses. New IRA apologizes for journalist's killing, police release woman". Reuters. 23 April 2019. Archived from the original on 23 April 2019 . Retrieved 24 April 2019. Award-winning film documenting death of journalist in Northern Ireland to be screened at Coventry Cathedral | Coventry University

Reported Inaccuracies Damaging To Posthumous Book By Lyra McKee Reported Inaccuracies Damaging To Posthumous Book By Lyra McKee

Lyra's investigation into the death of Northern Ireland MP Robert Bradford was a passion project for her, for years it became her obsession as she followed lead after lead in the pursuit of the truth. Hours afterwards, political, civic and church leaders gathered in Creggan in shared condemnation of the violence. “Why in God’s name does it take the death of a 29-year-old woman with her whole life in front of her to get us to this point?” Fr Martin Magill asked at her funeral; days later, talks to re-establish the North’s power-sharing government at Stormont resumed.He said he had a vague recollection of Bradford asking questions about something related to child abuse in the weeks before his murder, but he couldn’t be sure it was to do with Kincora. He knew it was to do with child abuse, though.” BBC News Channel - The Real Derry Girls". BBC News. Archived from the original on 25 November 2019 . Retrieved 25 November 2019. All MPs were covered by insurance as part of their job. Why had Bradford felt the need to take out an additional insurance policy, weeks before his death? It was a detail, a senior investigating officer on the case would later say he’d heard mentioned in the aftermath of Bradford’s death too, although it hadn’t been viewed as significant. Bradford had been a member of the Ulster Unionist Party and was the elected representative for South Belfast from 1974 to 1981. On internet chat forums, I found long threads where individuals discussed whether he had been asking questions about Kincora before he died. It was strange.

Lost, Found, Remembered by Lyra McKee | Waterstones Lost, Found, Remembered by Lyra McKee | Waterstones

Mr Bradford's death and that of 29-year-old Ken Campbell have been the subject of speculation and conspiracy theories surrounding allegations that the MP was about to expose details of abuse at a children's home.The New IRA, a dissident republican group, admitted responsibility and apologised, saying its gunman had been aiming at police. Police Service Northern Ireland (PSNI) said the pair, aged 21 and 33 years, were also charged with possession of a firearm and ammunition with intent to endanger life, riot, possession of petrol bombs, throwing petrol bombs and arson. The 33-year-old was also charged with robbery. She didn't see Northern Ireland through a nationalist or unionist gaze, she saw it with the eyes of her generation: the ceasefire babies, and through the experience of living in the North as a lesbian journalist. She was highly critical of the divisive nature of Northern politics and the influence of religion and yet she was always conciliatory, ready to bring about the change she was longing for. Northern Ireland needed her, but she was taken too soon. Whilst the man they refer to Mr Robert McClenaghan has been open and honest about his past it was absolutely irresponsible of The News Letter to fail to clarify the whole truth in their extensive piece.

Lyra McKee and her investigation into the mysterious murder Lyra McKee and her investigation into the mysterious murder

I haven’t cried like how I did reading this book as much as I have over any other book I have read. Rivera, Gabe (3 November 2011). "Meet Mediagazer's New (Human) Editors". Mediagazer. Archived from the original on 3 May 2019 . Retrieved 3 May 2019. British prime minister Theresa May, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and PresidentMichael D Higgins attended her funeral in Belfast, along with a host of other politicians from across the UK.

There must surely have been enough material to fashion a film twice as long, but Millar is to be praised for organising her material in a taut montage that adroitly balances the public with the private. It is hard to think of a time when the film would not be (to use a popular critical cliche) strangely relevant, but, given what’s going on now in Stormont, one cannot but raise an ironical eyebrow as, at her funeral, Father Martin Magill – equally impressive in new interviews – wonders why it then took “the death of a 29-year-old woman” to bring the politicians together. Donald Clarke When you lost someone in the Troubles, you had a story you could tell. There was a beginning, a middle, and an end. He lived, she died – because he was Catholic, Protestant, in the IRA, in the police, in a Loyalist gang – and we miss her, every day. Beginning, middle, end.

Lyra McKee obituary | Lyra McKee | The Guardian Lyra McKee obituary | Lyra McKee | The Guardian

Murals in Derry make heroes of the I.R.A.’s “freedom fighters” and hunger strikers of the nineteen-seventies and eighties. But the city is also one of the few places in which dissident Republicans have a foothold, their most recent incarnation being the New I.R.A. Several of the group’s key figures participated in notorious I.R.A. atrocities during the Troubles. Some of their younger followers have been radicalized by the old “Brits out” rhetoric; others are marginalized, addicted to drugs or alcohol, or just bored, running wild with a sense of nothing to lose. A recent survey of young people in Derry found that ninety-five per cent of them saw no future in the city. Since 2012 she had been working on an investigation into the murder of the Ulster Unionist MP, Robert Bradford, who was shot dead in 1981 in a murder claimed by the IRA. An exclusive extract from Angels with Blue Faces, which is available now from Excalibur Press, is published in today's Irish Times. Change the plan you will roll onto at any time during your trial by visiting the “Settings & Account” section. What happens at the end of my trial? Lyra gained national and then international fame when she published an essay "Letter to My 14-year-old self". As an adolescent and then teen, she struggled as someone who knew early on she was attracted to the same sex in a society that was still deeply hostile to LGBTPlus people. Fortunately, her mother accepted her sexual identity, unlike many others she knew whose families condemned them.For cost savings, you can change your plan at any time online in the “Settings & Account” section. If you’d like to retain your premium access and save 20%, you can opt to pay annually at the end of the trial. Excalibur Press, The Merlin Project and myself are believers in non-violence, we do not accept or condone violence of any kind. We work, and live, cross community and will continue to do so. Within weeks, the MP who replaced Bradford, Rev Martin Smyth, told an audience in San Francisco that he knew who had murdered Bradford. Years later, when I met him at his home, I asked Rev Smyth – then in his eighties – about the story and showed a newspaper clipping. "I just don't remember it," he'd said. "I can remember being in the States, but I don't remember this." Conspiracy

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment