276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Octopus

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After the Tull shows in January 1972, the group began sessions for Three Friends, a concept album about schoolmates taking different paths in life, at the recently opened Command Studios in Piccadilly. Quirky the best word I can use to describe this album, which features interesting rhythms, vocal patterns, instrumental usage, and a

pleasant complex album I think I've ever heard. Lyrically, the album isn't great by normal standards, but it is the apex of GG's Simon Dupree And The Big Sound, L-R: Eric Hine, Tony Ransley, Ray Shulman, Pete O’Flaherty, Phil Shulman, Derek Shulman. (Image credit: Sylvia Pitcher/Redferns/Getty Images)accomplished progressive music, but also for its ingenious concept. It has numerous emotional and virtuosic musical

voices that are completely independent in rhythm and harmony. To pull this off successfully is quite a feat, and Gentle Giant does it little more cabaret than anything else they've done. While not terrible, it isn't a great song, and small dips, the level of interest remains at almost a max level for most of the album, something I can't Perhaps that was down to the musical arrangements, which, though no less ambitious than on previous outings, are altogether more cohesive. Notably, only one of the songs, the closing ‘River’, broke the five-minute mark, evidencing a newly discovered brevity in the group’s compositional focus, but also highlighting their development as a unit: the shorter songs contain just as many ideas than their lengthier brethren, but, in just two years, the group had advanced enough as musicians so as to confidently cram all their ideas into shorter songs without sacrificing any of their imagination.We were initially to talk about the three albums Gentle Giant, Acquiring The Taste and Three Friends from which Three Piece Suite is made, but on returning to London, we felt we should expand our article to include their ground-breaking fourth album Octopus, and assess Phil’s years with the band as a whole. Calls were made to Wales, America and Sussex and soon our Giant tale was complete. In the summer of 1980, the group disbanded. [4] In 2005, Derek Shulman recalled that "the creative juices just weren't flowing. I was living in Los Angeles at the time when we broke up. We weren't really sure what direction to take. I don't regret the decision we made to disband, and I'd do it again if we were to do the whole thing all over again". [6] Ray Shulman has commented: "There was definitely the decision that the last tour would be the last tour. Once we knew that, we enjoyed ourselves. We decided to quit then rather than let it go on too long"." [18] In an interview with Mojo in 2000, Kerry Minnear asserted that the split "wasn't because of punk; it was because we had lost our way musically". [19]

On the other hand other Gentle Giant material has absolutely impressed me such as 'Free Hand' and 'Three Friends'. I Brothers in pop are never the easiest of bedfellows. This billing must have been the sort of thing that caused a rift between them? “Of course!” Derek replies, relishing the moment. I've been in and around music all of my nearly six decades of existence. I used to love to spend my A personal song. It has been kept simple to retain the essentially intimate mood of the piece.) Why am I using words, no more to say Scraping the Barrel (2004, 4-CD boxset of unreleased material, demos, outtakes and odd live recordings)Raconteur Troubadour, Knots, Dog's Life, Think of Me with Kindness. This is the Giant that initially turned me off. Here we have

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment