276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Plunkett And Macleane [DVD]

£6.07£12.14Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This was printed in A Complete History of James Maclean, the Gentleman Highwayman, who was executed at Tyburn on Wednesday, October 3, 1750, for a robbery on the highway (Charles Corbett, London 1750), Frontispiece. He was convicted: the jury brought him in Guilty without going out of court. No remission was forthcoming, despite various signs of penitence shown by the prisoner. When the judge asked him why he should not be sentenced, Maclaine, who had prepared a short speech expressing his contrition and pleading for mercy, was unable to say more than one or two words, "My lord, I cannot speak," and stood in silence. The poet Thomas Gray, in his poem "A Long Story", referred to this when he wrote, J.L. von Mosheim, translated by A. Maclaine, An Ecclesiastical History: Ancient and Modern (&c) (A. Millar, London 1765).

Plunkett And Macleane movie review (1999) | Roger Ebert

A modern fictionalised portrayal of Maclaine's life appears in the 1999 film Plunkett & Macleane, in which he was played by Jonny Lee Miller. A Narrative of the apprehending, convicting and executing James Maclean, for a highway robbery', in The Tyburn Chronicle: Or, The Villainy Display'd In All Its Branches (J. Cooke, London 1768), IV, pp. 346-49 (Google).Dr. Allen, An Account of the Behaviour of Mr James Maclaine, from the time of his condemnation to the day of his execution (J. Noon and A. Millar, London 1750). Read at Google. Abbreviated version in Gentleman's Magazine, Vol. XX (for October 1750), pp. 435-37 (Hathi Trust).

The Tiger Lillies Discography | Discogs The Tiger Lillies Discography | Discogs

On one occasion, when taking clothes belonging to a priest (who objected), Plunkett replied that they stole because necessity obliged them to do so, not from wantonness: and on another, he put aside his pistol while robbing a lady because he saw she was alarmed by it. It is said of Plunkett that 'he loved his bottle and a woman.' [2] Reputed immigration to America [ edit ] I will publish the answer at the end of the next millennium or when the sequel to this movie is released, whichever comes first. Of Mr MacLean, the Gentleman Highwayman', in S. Urban (ed.), The Gentleman's Magazine, and Historical Chronicle, Vol. XX for the year 1750 (London 1750), pp. 391-92 (Google).

Execution of Maclean, Commonly Known by the Name of The Gentleman Highwayman, Cheap Repository for Religious and Moral Tracts (S. Hazard, Bath/J. Marshall and R. White, London, n.d.). Read at Google. a b For his speech of defence, see: 'Of Mr MacLean, the Gentleman Highwayman', in S. Urban (ed.), The Gentleman's Magazine, and Historical Chronicle, Vol. XX for the year 1750 (London 1750), pp. 391-92 (Hathi Trust).

James MacLaine - Wikipedia James MacLaine - Wikipedia

a b c d e 'Trial of James Macleane, 12th September 1750', in Old Bailey Proceedings Online, ref. (t17500912-22). This transcript appears in Charles Miner, History of Wyoming in a Series of Letters (J. Crissy, Philadelphia, 1845), at p. 180 [1], and Plunket's exploits in America are recounted in p. 164-88, etc. The same story is quoted from Miner by Gideon Hiram Hollister, The History of Connecticut (Case, Tiffany and Co, Connecticut 1857), at pp. 338–39.The trial became a fashionable society occasion. A contemporary broadside includes an illustration: a Lady (perhaps Lady Caroline Petersham) is shown appearing as a character witness. One of the justices is saying, "What has your Ladyship to say in favour of the Prisoner at the Bar?", and she replies, "My Lord, I have had the Pleasure to know him well, he has often been about my House and I never lost anything." [29] Lord Eglinton declined to testify against him, and Walpole, reporting Maclaine's condemnation in a letter dated 20 September, added, "I am honourably mentioned in a Grub Street ballad for not having contributed to his sentence." [34] Lord Chief Justice Mansfield's argument in Wyndham v Chetwynd', in Lord Camden's Genuine Argument in giving Judgement on the Ejectment between Hinsdon against Kersey (J. Wilkie, London 1771), passim (Google).

William Plunkett (highwayman) - Wikipedia William Plunkett (highwayman) - Wikipedia

Putney', in E. Walford (ed.), Old and New London, volume 6 (Cassell, Petter and Galpin, London 1878), pp. 489-503, at note 2 (British History Online).transcribed using the screenplay and/or viewings of Plunkett And Macleane. I know, I know, I still need to get the cast names in there and I'll be eternally J.L. von Mosheim, Institutiones Historiae Ecclesiasticae Novi Testamenti, Libri IV (Ex officina viduae Ioannis Meyeri, Francofurti & Lipsiae 1726). The band performed their songs for the 1998 junk musical "Strawheaded Peter" live on stage in the touring puppetry production - effectively producing a live, animated concert performance of the album with accompanying puppet show. William Plunkett (died 1791) was a highwayman and accomplice of the famed "Gentleman Highwayman", James MacLaine. A short view of the Rev. Dr. Allen's account', Gentleman's Magazine, Vol. XX (for October 1750), pp. 435-37 (Hathi Trust).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment