276°
Posted 20 hours ago

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse Book 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

They are still recovering from getting their butts handed to them, the first time they faced the Others, the Bobs now find themselves looking at a final battle to defend planet Earth and all of the colonies it has. The Bobs have less discipline than a group of cats. The newer copies are concerned less with beating the Others and more with their own local problems. This is the first book in Dennis E. Taylor's 'Bobiverse' series and as the story begins Bob Johansson, a friendly thirty-one year old geek and software engineer, has just sold his company and become fabulously rich. Looking forward to a lifetime of doing as he pleases he visits a geek-con in Las Vegas, steps out on the street and gets fatally run down by a car.

Bravo to Dennis E. Taylor and to Ray Porter for bringing the Bobiverse alive- in all its snarky glory, humor, and love for humanity. For that reason, it does have merit. I think we need some books like this for people to ease into the genre. But I'll leave this off by saying that long time sci-fi and fantasy veterans are better off looking elsewhere. This book just didn't really do much for me, because of that. It blew me away that almost two hundred years after Shatner first famously didn’t actually say, “Beam me up, Scotty,” people still knew Star Trek. Now that’s a franchise." This was great. The situation that the Bobs find themselves in are SF staples and the multitudes of himself allow the book to investigate all of them. The Bobiverse is a rich universe filled with danger and wonder and quite a lot of Bob. And that should tell you what you need to know about the suitability of the series to your reading needs. If that neither makes you laugh nor gives you a sense of the subject of the books, best you pass them by.

Customer reviews

One of the things I loved about this book was all of the research and effort Taylor took to get the Science right. The lecture Bob attends in Vegas called "Exploring the Galaxy" is frequently quoted to remind us that this concept is grounded in Science. Eventually the entire universe will be explored by self replicating probes. Combining this idea with a relatable human personality was a brilliant premise and I can't wait to see where the series goes. But it´s not and will not be forever, all just a question of time. To be a part of a hive mind, an entity or a Gaia superorganism, to be a single entity, or used by evil forces, all of these options are better than to vanish forever. Living happily ever after forever with all loved ones could be an option too, but a terribly boring topic for a book without all the escalation options it offers too. This is a fun adventure and I awarded top rating for the sheer enjoyment. It is not a perfect book, far from it, but it enthralled me and for that I am grateful. And now to wait for the sequel... Alter, Alexandra (2 June 2018). "Want to Read Michael Lewis's Next Work? You'll Be Able to Listen to It First". The New York Times . Retrieved 2018-11-16.

stars. A fun romp of a SF space adventure. In 2016, Bob Johannsen sells his company for a fortune and promptly signs up for cryogenic preservation, and then manages to get himself killed just a day or two later. When he wakes up over 100 years later, he's without any physical body, essentially just a computer program ... but a very smart, self-aware one. And now he has the chance to be one of the first human intelligences to explore the galaxy. We Are Legion is definitely a Bob story. The narrator--Bob--is an engineer who as been cryogenically preserved and transferred into an A.I. Taylor has captured the voice of an analyst perfectly. Here's Bob during one of those times he is unaware his audience's eyes are glazing over: The major flaw in We are Legion was the Taylor has no idea how to end a chapter. They largely just cut off in an unsatisfying way that might work in a movie with a good editor but feel extremely awkward in audiobook form. Book 2 has 77 chapters and I would guess 55 of them end in an unnatural way. Porter was fairly incredible with what he was given. The final chapter was so jarring I had to listen to it again and could only conclude it was one of the roughest endings to a book in recent memory. It seems Taylor can only write "scenes" and has no idea how to transition from one to the next or how to get out of the scene he just gave us. I also must congratulate Taylor on delivering the first actually funny Australian joke I have read. When I saw this audiobook I thought it might have been a self published "Church of the Subgenius" tribute SF

Publication Order of Bobiverse Books

Bob's 'voice' was hilarious and the narrator of the audiobook was perfect in bringing Bob to life. Even being a typical geeky introverted loner, when faced with the prospect of complete solitude in space, Bob realised that all humans eventually crave company. The meat of the story really began when Bob created a virtual reality to feel more human instead of just being a bodiless mind. Once he got over this existential crisis, he finally started making more clones of himself to progress on his mission, and admittedly for some company. And then there was GUPPI - seriously my favourite 'character' in this book so far. I am not inclined to say anymore about GUPPI as this really needs to be discovered. Dennis Taylor is the author of Bobiverse Series. Unfortunately, he shares that distinction with many other authors worldwide and some musicians, unfortunately. As a result, he uses Dennis E. Taylor to distinguish himself from others. Dennis E. Taylor is a computer programmer, runner, author and snowboarder. Currently, he’s occupied with a full time day-job, which has been limiting his writing. His novels have been known to give readers a few hours of escape and entertainment, and the Bobiverse Series is no different. Tropes show how literature is conceived and which mixture of elements makes works and genres unique:

Bob wakes up a century later to find that corpsicles have been declared to be without rights, and he is now the property of the state. He has been uploaded into computer hardware and is slated to be the controlling AI in an interstellar probe looking for habitable planets. The stakes are high: no less than the first claim to entire worlds. If he declines the honor, he'll be switched off, and they'll try again with someone else. If he accepts, he becomes a prime target. Original Bob continues to shepherd the still-primitive Deltans, and his friend Archimedes, through threats and conflict, while one Bob falls in love and Bill, the resident of Epsilon Eridani gets ever closer to building an android that can physically embody the consciousness of his fellow Bobs. I recognized Dr. Landers’ voice. The word was “missiles.” Um. Ways in which a sentence beginning with the word “missiles” could be a good thing… Nope. I got nuthin’." Bob rarely stops to think about the impact of his meddling. When he encounters sentient life on a planet he doesn't think twice about blowing holes in the ecosystem or introducing more advanced technologies into their civilization without considering the fact that he's taking away opportunities for them to develop things on their own. The initial premise of the series, (self replicating Von Neumann probes based on a human personality) was a big part of my love for the first book. Now that Taylor has to deliver on the premise and not just introduce it, the flaws in his writing become much more apparent. This book feels rushed and in desperate need of a good editor. The frequent, unforced humour of book 1 is gone and while the plot certainly moves forward in book 2, it is far from what I was hoping for. I was particularly interested in the Archimedes storyline and it felt like this part of the story was mostly glossed over. We have some new elements added for future volumes but nothing that fills me with anticipation for book 3.This is sci-fi done in a way I’ve never really seen before. While the tone of the narrative is familiar, with its snarky humor and heavy infusion of geek pop culture jokes, the story and the characters and the worlds feel different and fresh. Like a funnier, more action-oriented version of The Long Way to A Small Angry Planet, it is presented in a format that feels almost episodic and digressive, but I was surprised to find I didn’t mind the divergent plotlines too much. Mostly, this was because of how fun it was to follow all the “Bobs”. Dennis E. Taylor has turned what could have been a lonely tale about a solo space explorer into an uproariously entertaining experience filled with many vibrant and unique personalities. The characters in this book are all one person—but they are also not. The story actually makes it a point to emphasize that the Bobs are distinct individuals, each possessing different aspects of the original. Goodreads Librarians are volunteers who help ensure the accuracy of information about books and authors in the Goodreads' catalog. The Goodreads Libra Goodreads Librarians are volunteers who help ensure the accuracy of information about books and authors in the Goodreads' catalog. The Goodreads Librarians Group is the official group for requesting additions or updates to the catalog, including: But what's more, he's a pretty nice guy. He's doing everything in his ability to save stupid people and aliens and terraforming new worlds... while running up against an even bigger threat.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment