276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Winter Killer: The new and most chilling book yet in the gripping British detective crime fiction series you have to read this Christmas: Book 3 (DI James Walker series)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I needed more. The story was often repetitive with the reader constantly reminded of the progression of events. And several of the twists, including the final reveal, were quite predictable. I also didn't see the point of the detective being so uncharacteristically worrying as it served no real purpose in the story. Let this trait hinder or compromise his investigation or, better yet, let it be an asset in solving the case. Christmas has arrived in Cumbria and once again, DI James Walker is away from his family and investigating a murder. There is a luxurious wedding taking place at a local lakeside hotel, but it’s all due to end in tears. Step 2. As things cool and get wetter in October and November moss will grow rapidly so consider starting moss control by spraying Green-up Ferrous Sulphate every 4 to 8 weeks as needed We all want to keep our gardens looking their best. But many weed killers do a lot more harm than good. So, we've found the best weed killers and natural solutions on the market for a beautiful garden without damaging the environment. Bonide makes a powerful option with triclopyr and dicamba. Another popular choice is a Fertilome product, which has 2, 4-D and dicamba.

This will not be a cure-all treatment. Rather, it makes the soil more welcoming to other plants. Moss is surprisingly adaptive and will find a way to survive in less than ideal soil if given the chance. So in short, always treat soil acidity as a secondary measure and have a primary plan in place to actively deal with the issue.

This helps distribute the moss killer deeper, preventing any pesky moss spores from escaping and popping up next year. Gardens and lawns where equipment like lawn mowers and rototillers are regularly used. Both spread seeds. Ideally, you’ll apply the first treatment of moss killer in late January-early February. This allows the killer to do its thing while giving the soil enough time to recover. By enabling this recovery period, you prime the soil to accept new growth. Whether that new growth is grass, veggies, or something else is up to you, but do the replacement the favour of allowing it the time it deserves. Apply safe, pre-emergent herbicide before winter weeds begin sprouting, to target the seeds and root systems of perennials.

Step 4. If you are not or don’t need to rake out the moss in spring because there is so little, then towards the end of February or early March it would be good to complete the moss control process with a final application of ferrous sulphate or better still with Moss-Off. Moss-Off has a residual effectso ideal to treat at this time of year to prevent moss developing in early spring. Alternatively, if you are going to rake out the moss and over seed this is best applied just prior to seeding to maximise protection.

The Idiots Guide to Winter Moss Suppression

Leave to dry before allowing pets or children into the garden. How long does weed killer take to dry? There are certain weeds that are a nuisance, such as bindweed, horsetail and ground elder (more in allotments and wild gardens) and they need pulling up regularly to remove as much root as possible." I loved every paragraph, every sentence and every word of this masterpiece! I was totally hooked' NetGalley reviewer, The Winter Killer is my first introduction to author Alex Pine. But it won't be my last. As this was such an enjoyable police procedural. That grabbed me from the start and never let go, and honestly, I felt like I was in the middle of a real-life investigation as the pace of it was so relentless.

And that’s about it! Moss is hardy, but a combination of lawn moss killer and proper conditions will make it go for good. Conclusion But while The Winter Killer is a highly enjoyable book, what's let me down is the title, as it always annoys me when a thriller is promoted as being more sinister than it actually is. Because for me, there definitely wasn't enough winter or killing. You may be thinking, 'why on earth would I want to keep any weeds in my garden?' But believe it or not, weeds do have their uses. In addition to increasing biodiversity, weeds are also great for the soil – they accumulate nutrients, add channels in the soil and also prevent erosion and run-off after rain. In other words, they make soil healthier. I requested a digital advanced readers copy from NetGalley and Avon and providing my opinion voluntarily and unbiased. Step 1. Feed with Autumn Lawn Fertiliser in September or October. Keeping the grass healthy stops moss moving inThis allows the killer time to do its thing and gives the soil a break to recover. Obviously, plant new seeds when they need to be, so wait longer if necessary.

Moss can and will grow anywhere, even on the roof of your house! Moss growth in the lawn during winter is helped by shade, moisture and poor air circulation. Reducing shade and improving air circulation may be possible but being aware of the potential for increased moss growth in these areas can help with your lawn care program. I still think this book could be a good choice for readers looking for a light mystery which often has more questions than answers and is set at a captivating location. And it would be a nice way to spend a weekend reading. Plants earn the “weed” designation because of their extreme tenacity, thanks in part to a few built-in winter defense mechanisms. Quiescence And with tremendous pacing, appealing characters and lots of detail. This was a really enjoyable read and introduction to the series. Which I'm definitely going to read more from including the two books I've missed out on.Walker and his wife, Annie relocated to the small, remote Kirkby Abbey and it's a big change from London where Walker worked for the Met. Annie was born in Kirkby Abbey. There is never a dull moment in this dark and atmospheric story and I was riveted from start to finish. The characters are solidly drawn, lending credibility to the festive mystery/ thriller. I look forward to seeing more of DI Walker in future instalments. Linaria vulgaris (wild snapdragon) is also a broadleaf winter weed, but unlike the examples above, it is a perennial. It also goes by toadflax or butter-and-eggs. Another well-known winter broadleaf perennial is Taraxacum officinale ( dandelion). This novel is a marvellous read – the pacing is comfortable, it is well-plotted and the story is intriguing. The most chilling crime thriller you’ll read this winter, perfect for fans of Catherine Cooper’s The Chalet and Simon McCleave’s The Snowdonia Killings – and anyone who prefers their mince pies with a side of murder.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment