276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Couch Fiction: A Graphic Tale of Psychotherapy

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Philippa Perry (presenter) (4 March 2015). Being BiPolar (Television). Channel 4 . Retrieved 20 February 2017. Success The highest indicator for a successful outcome for therapy is the client’s expectations, motivation and hope. The second is the relationship between the client and the therapist. Neither area seems to be thriving for Pat and James at this stage in the therapy.

Couch Fiction This is an excerpt of a beautifully illustrated graphic novel based on a case study of Pat (a sandal-wearing, cat-loving psychotherapist) and her new client James (an ambitious barrister with a potentially harmful habit he can't stop). The succinct footnotes offer a witty and thought-provoking exploration of the therapeutic journey. If you are curious of how Pat and James carry on this therapy, you can buy the book here . a b Cooke, Rachel (18 April 2010). "I love Susie Orbach and Harvey Pekar comics – so I wrote Couch Fiction, a comic book about psychotherapy". The Observer. London. p.13. Beautifully illustrated by Flo Perry, author of How to Have Feminist Sex, and accompanied by succinct and illuminating footnotes, this book offers a witty and thought-provoking exploration of the therapeutic journey, considering a range of skills, insights and techniques along the way. Perhaps conflict is difficult for you because you have difficulty in knowing what you feel. Conflicts are usually far more about how we each feel than they are about facts. There will be conflicts in any relationship as we all experience things differently. It’s better if we can think of differences, not so much as I’m right, they’re wrong, winning and losing, but as an opportunity to gain understanding of the other’s view point and to communicate how you feel about yours. Then, considering your and their feelings, work together for compromise. If conflict is completely avoided, not talked about, never aired, a relationship can shrink because, as subjects become taboo, it means there will be less and less to talk about and areas of loneliness creep in where each of you remain unseen. Isn't focusing so closely on one's own feelings selfish? "It sounds selfish. But your feelings are always there and they will always come out. We're all familiar with the posh aunt at tea who says [she does another posh Mapp and Lucia voice], 'Now, does anybody want jam?' She's sitting there with a scone and no jam and she'd save everyone a lot of trouble if she just said, 'Pass the jam, please.'"In most people’s lives, there are three main areas: what we do, where we live and who we live with. Pat has tried the first area, what we do – work, in other words – and did not come up with anything. She’s moved on to the people in his life to see if anything untoward is happening there. Adapting to other people is a skill, and I suspect one you have in so much abundance that you might have lost some of yourself. Some people need to learn how to adapt and turn up the adaptation dial, while others – you seem to be among them – need to turn it down. If you adapt so completely to the other person, there is nothing left of you for them to have a relationship with. It is even hard for you to have a relationship with yourself. I expect you are putting in more energy to work out the other’s feelings than giving yourself attention to figure out your own. The book is a graphic depiction of a psychotherapy case of a man "James" who is a successful barrister who begins to steal for no reason. His kleptomania is explored by his therapist "Pat". Revelations occur and James is cured.

Get closer the people who matter the most with the help of the nation's favourite therapist, PHILIPPA PERRY ** Philippa Perry (presenter) (6 May 2016). Sex Lies and Lovebites (Television). BBC Four . Retrieved 20 February 2017. Perry, Philippa. "Ask Philippa: meet the Observer's brilliant new agony aunt" . Retrieved 20 June 2021. Perry was determined not to make her therapist an all-seeing, God-like figure. Sometimes, Pat finds her client difficult, even dislikable and sometimes, in their conversations, she seems merely to be feeling her way. "Therapy isn't about the therapist knowing more," she says. "It's more about the therapist being used to evacuations – no! that's the wrong word! – I mean excavations of the mind."

Retailers:

Philippa Perry (presenter) and Goedele Liekens (presenter) (25 February 2016). The Great British Sex Survey (Television). Channel 4 . Retrieved 20 February 2017. Perhaps after learning to ride a bike we might try a unicycle, then hang-gliding? Or learning Arabic, or whatever it is that appeals. We tend to think stress is bad, but there is such a thing as good stress. This creates positive stimulation, pushing us to learn new things and to be creative, but not so overwhelming that it tips us into panic. Learning things causes us to form new neural connections and the more of these we have is probably for the better. If a part of your brain were to, God forbid, die off, the more neural connections you have, the sooner other parts of the brain could link up to go around the damaged part. So let’s get learning, make neural connections and gain new satisfaction from pastimes, skills, interests and erudition. Alkisah seorang pria datang kepada Pat, seorang psikoterapis. Awalnya dia skeptis kalau konseling dapat membantunya menghentikan kebiasaan klepto--yang kemudian mengancam hubungannya dg kekasihnya. In 2010 the academic publisher, Palgrave Macmillan, published Perry's book, Couch Fiction: A Graphic Tale of Psychotherapy. [1] It is a graphic novel that tells a tale of a psychotherapist and her client, from both their perspectives. Underneath the graphic novel boxes, Perry takes the position of commentator and provides footnotes on what might be going on between them and what theories the therapist is drawing on or should be drawing on. There is an afterword by Andrew Samuels.

Many psychotherapists do not worry about the impression that their appearance makes on their clients*; some have a habit of wearing open-toed orthopaedic sandals whatever the weather. Footwear can give an idea of whether a therapist is working from home or renting a room – slippers or open-toed sandals in winter are a sure sign they are home based. *This is either because they have worked through their own narcissism issues or they are inherently unstylish, or both. Life bible incoming: Philippa Perry’s sage (and witty) advice will have you re-evaluating all the relationships in your life' STYLIST Who would think that a graphic novel (read here comic book) about psychotherapy would be a good idea? Perry, Philippa (2009). "Relational marketing?". The British Journal of Psychotherapy Integration. Palgrave Macmillan. 6 (2): 47–51. ISSN 1759-0000. Archived from the original on 27 June 2016. {{ cite journal}}: CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown ( link) Preview. Philippa Perry (presenter) (23 August 2016). The Truth About Children Who Lie (Television). BBC Radio 4 . Retrieved 20 February 2017.wuthering_alice: “My knitting is very important to me – it kept me steady during a recent anxiety episode ... I also have a bit of a thing for growing pumpkins. I marvel that something so big comes from a tiny seed.” I really looked forward to reading this, and it was an interesting read, but I thought it was shoddy. The story seemed too simplistic and wasn't really engaging, probably partly due to the many footnotes; the illustrations were rather poor and unattractive ; the font for the footnotes was so small they were almost unreadable ; the explanations in the footnotes were mostly too short to really offer an understanding, unless you already are familiar with these often complex theoretical ideas. saraheley: “Learned Polish ... it woke up my brain from rather a long fog. It improved my memory. It made me realise how much humans love to connect ...” With a healthy dose of sanity, Philippa Perry's compassionate advice could help you become a happier, wiser person. Philippa’s answer I wonder if you feel that if you are yourself, you may put another person off. But if we never take the risk of putting the other person off, we never give ourselves the opportunity of letting ourselves be known. To be known we have to be seen. We will never be seen if we hide. To truly connect with others we need to be, not who we think we ought to be, but who we really are. You are worried about being boring. In my experience in the psychotherapy room and outside it, people are more likely to be boring when they are not taking the risk of being real. In other words, I want you to work on developing a tolerance for being vulnerable.

I read this thinking it would be an interesting comic and, as a comics fan of both popular and indie varieties, gave this a try. Unfortunately it's not very interesting or well drawn. Andromeda: “I started learning piano five years ago as a distraction from a scheduled heart op. Since then I’ve played every day. It’s a calm place in my head.” Book Genre: Comics, Counselling, Graphic Novels, Graphic Novels Comics, Health, Mental Health, Nonfiction, Psychoanalysis, Psychology, Science, Sequential Art TobyMalcolm: “I spend most of my evenings in the world of virtual aviation flying all over the world in my flight simulator ... My cats love it too.” Though outwardly unusual, the two of them live an ordinary, rather cosy kind of a life. She describes it to me. Philippa spends her day with her patients and then flops down in front of Countdown; Grayson spends his day in his studio listening to Radio 4 and then comes hoping to chat, only to find she is all talked out. At weekends, they go to their cottage, where they grow vegetables. Their daughter, Flo, is 17 and is hoping to read chemistry at Durham University and they are preparing themselves for empty nest syndrome. Together, they are growing older. A few weeks ago, Grayson celebrated his 50th birthday with a big party, at which he treated guests to some advice he received from an elderly gentleman whom he met when he gave the annual William Morris lecture. After 50, he told the assembled company, "a man should never pass a lavatory, never trust a fart and never waste an erection".

Review

Perry has presented various documentaries including: Sex, Lies and Lovebites: The Agony Aunt Story ( BBC Four); [11] Being Bipolar ( Channel 4); [12] The Truth About Children Who Lie ( BBC Radio 4); [13] and The Great British Sex Survey ( Channel 4). [14] Philippa, Lady Perry ( née Fairclough; born 1 November 1957), is a British integrative psychotherapist and author. She has written the graphic novel Couch Fiction: A Graphic Tale of Psychotherapy (2010), [1] How to Stay Sane (2012), [2] The Book You Wish Your Parents Had Read (and Your Children Will be Glad That You Did) (2019). The Book You Want Everyone You Love* To Read *(and maybe a few you don't) (2023). Couch Fiction: a Graphic Tale of psychotherapy. Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. With an afterword by Andrew Samuels.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment