276°
Posted 20 hours ago

We're Going on a Bear Hunt: 1 (CBH Children / Picture Books)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I read this book to my Reception class the day before we went on a school trip to the 'Build a Bear Factory'. It linked in with work they had done that week about bears and was a perfect introduction to the idea of 'going on a journey'. The school trip was to be their first as a class and reading this book to them was a good starter activity before we discussed the next day's school trip and what the children would be doing. The book doesn’t date. For more than thirty years readers have been enjoying and learning from this book, and will continue to do so well into the future. We’re going on a bear hunt. Uh-uh! A snowstorm! We’re going to catch a big one. A swirling whirling snowstorm. What a beautiful day! We’re not scared. We can’t go over it. We can’t go under it. Oh no! We’ve got to go through it!

We’re going on a bear hunt. Uh-uh! A river! We’re going to catch a big one. A deep cold river. What a beautiful day! We can’t go over it. We’re not scared. We can’t go under it. Oh no! We’ve got to go through it! A family of five (with a dog) embarks on a bear hunt, (without weapons). At first you can see this is just a family outing, it's all in fun, it's about spending a day in nature pretending they are going on a bear hunt, and Dad is all smiles, but as we proceed from the sea though the meadow, across a river and into the dark woods, Dad is more serious, that's a kind of subtle key.We're Going On a Bear Hunt'by Michael Rosen, practically sums up my reading experience in primary school. This 'join all in' picture book, was read during a whole school assembly. i remember the excitement myself and the other children would feel when asked, " what are they going on?" And we would all shout out, really loudly "A BEAR HUNT!!!".

Michael Rosen skilfully repeats some phrases and the use of onomatopoeia as the family experience each surrounding (‘splash splosh’, ‘squelch squerch’). This not only makes it appealing for young listeners, but interactive too, as it encourages them to join in. I remember this as a campfire skit. Captured oral traditions always disappoint me, as they never exactly match the story and wording you learnt - and so it is with We're Going on a Bear Hunt. Also the written word doesn't indicate the sing-song rhythm of the original, and doesn't provide an indication of all the relevant movements. These elements were always critical to the success of the skit, and may be lost in this book form. The publisher, Walker Books, celebrated the work's 25th anniversary in 2014 by breaking a Guinness World Record for the "Largest Reading Lesson", with a book-reading by author Rosen that was attended by 1,500 children, with an additional 30,000 online. [3] Adaptations [ edit ] Theatre adaptation [ edit ] the illustrations, easily tell the story, without the need of words, which is brilliant and means that this book adapts to the different learning capabilities of different children.In 2013, the novelists Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Rees wrote a parody of the book, called We're Going On A Bar Hunt, which was illustrated by Gillian Johnson in the style of the original and was published by Constable books and then republished by Little, Brown & Company. [14] "Bear hunts" [ edit ] Unlike the book, where the bear is mean and hostile, in the TV adaptation it is friendly and lonely, and merely chases the children only because of Rosie being friendly to it and wanting more. Berenjacht' voor kinderen, door coronacrisis, populair in Nederland". Hart van Nederland . Retrieved 2 August 2020.

Socially distanced neighbourhood bear hunts are taking off around the world". ABC News. 25 March 2020 . Retrieved 31 January 2021. Helen Oxenbury was born in Ipswich and attended the Ipswich School of Art before moving to London to study at the Central School of Art and Design.Her career has spanned many fields, including design work in theatre, film and television. She started illustrating children’s books in 1964 and has published books across age groups, from classic board books for babies to collections of nursery rhymes for all ages.The book has been adapted as a stage play by director Sally Cookson with musical score by Benji Bower and design by Katie Sykes. The play has run in the West End and in provincial theatres. The ending of the performance has been changed so that there is a reconciliation between the family and the bear. [9] [10] Time Out magazine, who awarded four stars out of five, whilst describing the performers as "wonderfully entertaining" also said "those in the later primary years might find it a little boring – not an awful lot happens, after all." [11] Television adaptation [ edit ] Each of the obstacles, apart from the river, is based on a real life location in England and Wales that Oxenbury knew. [1] Encourage your child to join in with the chorus ‘We’re going on a bear hunt’ and any parts of the text they remember. Make up actions together for the different parts of the story; eg swishing through long grass, squelching through mud and tiptoeing into the bear’s cave. Watch the story

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment