276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mudlarking: Lost and Found on the River Thames

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you have a standard permit, there are only certain spots on the Thames where you can go mudlarking. There is an interactive map which shows where digging is allowed. I'm amazed that so much 'stuff' is still being found although Maiklem explains how building, erosion etc can constantly reveal new treasures. Firstly, people who are casually searching the Thames foreshore may fail to report significant finds. By regulating mudlarking with permits, it help to protects the historical integrity of the riverbed, and makes it more likely that people will respect the archeological significance of items they find. Nowadays, though, the activity is more of a hobby than occupation, with current day participants often looking out for pieces with interesting histories, rather than simply monetary value.

Items also often end up on display to the public, whether as part of a permanent or temporary exhibits. Thirdly, walking on the foreshore of the Thames is dangerous. Permit holders are warned of the hazards of going down to the river bank, and advised to go in groups. The Thames foreshore contains slippery stones, and sharp objects. Make sure you wear good shoes to protect your feet, and prevent you from slipping.Firstly a tendency to somewhat absurd flights of fancy (an example being when she holds up some Tudor glass and wonders whether Henry 8th looked through it when pondering Anne Boleyn's future). Mudlarking’, the practice of scavenging through river mud for lost items of value or historical significance. You immediately feel comfortable with this author in her hobby, obsession and delight for Mudlarking. The type of mud under the river and fact that the area’s been home to civilisations for so long also means that there’s a lot to be found there.

The practice of combing exposed riverbeds for lost treasures, termed ‘mudlarking’, is becoming increasingly popular thanks to social media. London is the best place in the UK to go mudlarking. This is because, at low tide the foreshore is mostly gravel, and easy to walk on. Also, the mud at the bottom of the Thames is anaerobic, so it preserves objects well. You are also more likely to discover something in London, than in other rivers in the UK. I have always enjoyed spending time on the river and those journeys have enhanced my experience in visits to the capital. Now in this one book about a historical pastime I have received a fresh insight. Secondly, by requiring a permit it protects the wildlife that live near the river as it reduces the number of people walking on the Thames foreshore. If too many people are walking on the riverbed at low tide it may disturb birds and animals that are nesting or feeding by the river. Here without prompting yawns or repetition Lara speaks of each area of the river bank she visits. Her finds and the history of that location are detailed and shared. She is an honest commentator, a well researched historical narrator and a person who shares fully of herself.Mudlarking is not all about the physical objects you find on the river, however. Anderson speaks poetically of the joys of being on the foreshore. “I instantly forget any anxieties or problems that I have for the few hours or so that I'm down by the river,” she said. “Even if I don't find much that day, I love the peace the river brings – the wildlife, birds, boats going past, the sounds, the way the light reflects on the water, the changing landscape on whatever part of the Thames foreshore I happen to be mudlarking on that day. Even on a cold, windy or wet weather day, it’s very invigorating.”

Lara speaks also of moment of the find. The care and preservation of artefacts. The best light and intensity of the search and how without that moments scan, hesitation, acquired skills objects might forever remain undiscovered or be shattered by one’s next step. I've had a passing interest in mudlarking and toshing that I think I can attribute to Joan Aiken's Midnight Is A Place, which I read when I was about ten. But I honestly thought it was something that happened in, like, the Victorian era because having seen the state of the Thames (and the Yarra, tbh), I can't really imagine anyone voluntarily searching for lost treasures in the tidal mud flats of the riverbank. But turns out there's a thriving community! The only thing I would have wished for was more pictures - there were some glossy photographs in the middle of the book that showed some of her finds, but I often wanted to see something she described that wasn't among the photos. This is a wonderful idea since modern day scavenging isn’t for coal, food or items just washed into the river but a history lesson and more akin to river archaeology. Apparently Tower Beach was a great success and in 1935 approximately 100,000 people came to 'holiday' beside the Thames. What a sight this must have been.I feel my knowledge of the history of London has been deepened and enlarged by her comments on these objects, the riverside locations and ultimately the Thames itself. Thoroughly enjoyed this book and I am full of envy for all the wonderful things the author finds on the shore of the Thames. MUDLARKS: Treasures from the Thames by Jason Sandy is a great book if you are new to mudlarking. It shows the findings of 80 different mudlarks, and contains lots of photographs and information about the history of London. You'll get the chance to meet some of London’s mudlarks, as well as see their personal collections, here.

Armed with this information on just how much this obsession controls the author's life, I formed the opinion she'd make an unreliable friend and frustrating partner but is no doubt a highly experienced mudlarker.The morbid part of me especially enjoyed hearing of Maiklem’s encounters with human remains -both modern and ancient - and following her speculations as to the life they may have led. I’m still haunted by her description of Amy Johnson’s tragic end – and my imagination was particularly captured by the fact that although her chequebook, logbook and travel bag were retrieved, her body was never found… Pretty much everything that humans have made used and thrown away will be here forever. Often these possessions have ended up in middens and now we bury vast quantities of our unwanted stuff in the ground in dumps. If you know where to look these relics from a time long gone can be found, especially along the foreshore of the tidal Thames. I wish I could say more than that. On paper, this should be right up my street. It's the kind of fun micro-history that covers a nice range of time periods and is filled with fun factoids that I would normally love, but for some reason it's missed the mark. Maybe its the authorial voice? Maybe its the additions of autobiographical details that I don't care about? Maybe it was just that I didn't enjoy the audio book narration? I really can't put my finger on it, but my response to this book can be described as lukewarm at best.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment