276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Doctor's Wife: An absolutely gripping and unputdownable psychological thriller with a shocking twist

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

But he’s underestimated me. I’ve had plenty of time, in this big, isolated house, to think about all of his mistakes. Fern and Drew are married for a long time. They used to live in Manchester. Fern has always been a city girl herself.

THE DOCTOR’S WIFE | Kirkus Reviews THE DOCTOR’S WIFE | Kirkus Reviews

I listened to the audio as I do with all his works. The two narrators once again did a fabulous job! After finishing a heavy tome, with lots of characters, I wanted to read something not too complicated. The Doctor's Wife was exactly what I needed. I like Daniel Hursts' books because they follow the same pattern. We are introduced to the main characters (in this case, Drew Devlin and his wife Fern) before we are introduced to some other characters (in this case, Drews ex-lover and her husband) and then things get rolling. Being told from different viewpoints, the story unfolds quite fast and before we know it, it’s clear that not all characters are very reliable. On the contrary. When I see he has a new novel coming out, I don’t even bother reading the description. I know I need to have it.I hate that Greg thought that Fern was capable of murder because she got upset once when she thought her husband was cheating. While the text messages between Drew and a former classmate were innocuous, Fern CLEARLY had gone reason to be suspicious that Drew might engage in extramarital affairs. But because Fern threatened to throw Drew’s phone against the wall makes her capable of murder?

The Doctor’s Wife - Goodreads

An entertaining popcorn thriller, clever and disturbing—however, I wish it had a little more sarcastic dark humor. Even though I did not enjoy it quite as much as The Couple in the Cabin (his BEST, I have read thus far and Top books of 2022) and his recent holiday thriller, The New Year's Party; however, THE DOCTOR'S WIFE had no likable characters but was a fun, unpredictable twisty suspense. I also enjoyed the audiobook narrated by Sarah Durham and David Wayman for an engaging performance for all voices.But things are not as they seem. Fern is not as naive as she seems. They all have their secrets and especially Drew has a reason for the move. Drew has his secrets, and Fern has hers. How far will Fern go to keep her secrets? Never underestimate a woman. Love Daniel Hurst's fast pace high tension thrillers, The Doctor's Wife is my third novel by the author. THANK YOUs: A BIG Thank you to @netgalley and @bookouture for gifting me this ALC (Advanced Listening Copy)! The characters. None of the characters were likeable, which I think was the point.But they weren’t just unlikeable because they were either engaging in an affair or planning to murder + accuse their partners of murder, but they were also unlikeable because they were just boring. There was no character development or depth. They were incredibly static and had zero personality.

The story is told from the points of view of both Fern and Drew, covering both the present and the couple's past in Manchester. For Dr Drew Devlin and his wife Fern, their marriage looked perfect. However, it's all an illusion for Drew has been hiding a secret, one he believes he has hidden well, but his wife, Fern knows. Of course Drew is everything one desires in a mate. He is handsome, wealthy, successful, and full of charm. He is also a manipulative liar. In Fern, he has found the perfect mate, a quiet woman who doesn't mind, so it seems to be left behind as Drew steps forward with panache and arrogance. He's pretty despicable, but Fern loves him or so she claims. Some details and subplots just felt extraneous. Take, for example, the details that Drew cheated on his med school exams and partook in malpractice. I guess that there was some connection to his devious behaviors when he decided to not help Rory, but the link wasn’t strong enough. Despite this, I finished the book in one sitting because it was exactly what I needed: not too complicated a story with – for me anyway – no big surprises or twists. I wish there wasn't a prologue! Or at least doesn't include the death which was too big of a reveal. My mind was sort of set from then on and the story only confirms my prediction. If you haven't read the book, you might want to skip the prologue to chapter one.Even in casual encounters the handsome and charming Drew introduces himself as ‘Doctor” (so....not so charming after all!). Thanks to Daniel Hurst, Bookouture Audio and NetGalley for my audio copy. I am voluntarily leaving my honest review* Daniel Hurst has definitely been busy this year. I have lost count on how many books he published on a short time. I have read his latest novels and I have to say. This one there is definitely the best out of them! Doctor Drew convinces Fern they should move away from the city and settle down in a small village about 200 miles away. Just wait until you find out why he wants to move and the secrets he’s hiding. Little does he know, Fern is not one to be underestimated. She knows more than he thinks and she has plans of her own. A domestic thriller that will captivate you as the layers slowly unravel and the juicy secrets are finally revealed. This was an intense popcorn thriller that I couldn’t get enough of! So many secrets, so much deceit, and a plan for vengeance. This is a story told in two different POVs (first person) and dual timelines. We follow around Doctor Drew Devlin and his wife, Fern. Doctor Drew seems respectable, smart and charming, while Fern is a loving doctor’s wife with a perfect life. However, things aren’t ever as perfect as they seem. Drew and Fern are both very unlikable characters who cannot be trusted. That’s okay though, because it makes things that much more interesting.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment